Would you take this job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLY1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fellow currently interviewing for jobs and this an offer I am seriously considering.

My background: AP/CP US IMG. Did my residency in a small program. Currently doing a marketable fellowship in a top institution. The job will be in an academic place in the Midwest.

Pros:
Friendly colleagues
Decent starting salary for an academic institution
No pressure on faculty to do a ton of research/publications
Reasonable workload
Good potential for leadership positions

Cons:
Facilities (faculty offices, sign out rooms, labs .. etc.) are outdated and in a REALLY bad condition (My main concern)
Significantly short-staffed (PAs, histo techs)
High faculty turnover
Not the most exciting city, but somewhere I don't mind living in for the next few years

Members don't see this ad.

A competent person may flourish in a chaotic situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Academia is always a safe place to start. Maybe you’ll discover you like it and it will be a career.

My only advice is try to use your CP training. If your chair needs someone to take on CP endeavors (rotate on hematology / blood smear, CLIA directorships of satellite labs, etc) step up and do it. I have seen too many well trained AP/CP residents 5 years later uncomfortable with CP. You can severely limit your future job opportunities.

GL and post an update at some point

Only take a job if it is rural. Otherwise pass

Contrasting opinion - only take a job if it is urban. Otherwise pass.

Do you have options? If not, sounds like a great opportunity.
Actually, I do have other options, but the deadline for accepting/declining the offer is coming up soon and I won't be able to finish interviewing at the other places before the deadline.

The job market is pretty good right now, but finding a job that checks all the boxes (practice setting, responsibilities, location, salary) is still very challenging. As the market gets better, many pathologists with years of experience are also moving to better jobs which makes it more difficult for fellows to compete.

Academia is always a safe place to start. Maybe you’ll discover you like it and it will be a career.

My only advice is try to use your CP training. If your chair needs someone to take on CP endeavors (rotate on hematology / blood smear, CLIA directorships of satellite labs, etc) step up and do it. I have seen too many well trained AP/CP residents 5 years later uncomfortable with CP. You can severely limit your future job opportunities.

GL and post an update at some point
I should have probably added this to the cons. I am doing a high volume subspecialty fellowship and they want me to only sign out my subspecialty.

Actually, I do have other options, but the deadline for accepting/declining the offer is coming up soon and I won't be able to finish interviewing at the other places before the deadline.

The job market is pretty good right now, but finding a job that checks all the boxes (practice setting, responsibilities, location, salary) is still very challenging. As the market gets better, many pathologists with years of experience are also moving to better jobs which makes it more difficult for fellows to compete.
Hard to say of this is "good" without knowing the options.

Your post had a few red flags, and I don't think subspecialty-only sign out is one of them.

I should have probably added this to the cons. I am doing a high volume subspecialty fellowship and they want me to only sign out my subspecialty.
I know academia is trending toward super sub specialization- but I would also recommend trying to avoiding signing only one organ system / sub speciality early on in your career. Try to be part of 2 if possible. Again academia is a safe place to branch out and pick up that second interest, you’ll likely have good support of more experienced paths when you need it. Sounds like you have a collegial group of paths who are not overworked - they won’t mind you showing a few extra cases as you cut your teeth…

Reactions: 2 users
I know academia is trending toward super sub specialization- but I would also recommend trying to avoiding signing only one organ system / sub speciality early on in your career. Try to be part of 2 if possible. Again academia is a safe place to branch out and pick up that second interest, you’ll likely have good support of more experienced paths when you need it. Sounds like you have a collegial group of paths who are not overworked - they won’t mind you showing a few extra cases as you cut your teeth…

Big strong second to this. The less you limit your comfort zone, the better. Please note, I said “ comfort zone”. Not sub speciality expertise.

I've seen academic people who want to move to community but cannot because they did only 1 or 2 organ systems for years and have more or less forgotten about the others. A good mentor of mine encouraged my co-resident and I to start in general signout early in career and we are grateful we followed his advice. In your case you could ask them if you can sign out some less complex cases from other organ systems, or even ditzels to keep up your general skills.

I am a fellow currently interviewing for jobs and this an offer I am seriously considering.

My background: AP/CP US IMG. Did my residency in a small program. Currently doing a marketable fellowship in a top institution. The job will be in an academic place in the Midwest.

Pros:
Friendly colleagues
Decent starting salary for an academic institution
No pressure on faculty to do a ton of research/publications
Reasonable workload
Good potential for leadership positions

Cons:
Facilities (faculty offices, sign out rooms, labs .. etc.) are outdated and in a REALLY bad condition (My main concern)
Significantly short-staffed (PAs, histo techs)
High faculty turnover
Not the most exciting city, but somewhere I don't mind living in for the next few years

Not sure if I missed something..

what's the pay rate, total pay package including 401K program, defined benefit (pension) plan opportunity? do they pay malprac? do they cover health benefits? relocation expenses? signing bonus? housing assistance? vacation guarantee? disability coverage? Whats the COLA vs. bigger Midwest cities like Chicago? What are the dating opportunities if you are still single? What are schools like if you have kids? What is the housing inventory currently like? What are your longer term geographic goals? What airports are nearby?

Not sure WTF "friendly colleagues" is unless you are merely staying where you have already trained as you have no clue on that from just an interview...

Sorry to be blunt but your pro and con lists are about as detailed oriented as my 11 year old would come up with.

Pros: fun in the sun during summers, Cons: cold winters (but good hot cocoa!)....not sure what sort of feedback you even are looking for.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users