Where's the NRA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh:

Of course he does. Any academic with novel ideas and research will have a significant number of detractors, especially if he is challenging the accepted dogma and bias. The question isn't does he have detractors, but have the detractors successfully challenged his hypothesis.

- pod

Members don't see this ad.

What's interesting is that the PGG gun-toting bunch will have you believe that the 1994 ASSAULT GUN BAN was an abject failure. They will have you believe that more people were killed with assault guns during the period of this ban, and they will also have you believe that NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, their data demonstrate this.

Then, they will read this chart and DENY that it, in fact, exists. And shows a success of banning certain weapons and Mass Shootings in the US.

photo-2_zps10d6da47.png

Pgg will spin this as he usually does, but as you know, he's all smoke and mirrors.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment being upheld -- with LIMITATIONS. Just like EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER right granted by that sheet of paper called the US CONS.

Everyone loving the debate that Obama, Biden and Feinstein are beginning now that will culminate in new REGULATIONS on the 2nd amendment. Common sense.

D712

Get ready everyone, for the replies to these postings from the PGG crowd, (aka denial denial denial).

Regarding the 1994 ban... see some numbers here:

Mixed? LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS FROM MIAMI, BOSTON, ST. LOUIS ETC)

ScreenShot2012-12-20at102411PM_zps40d10f3b.png

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course gun control has contributed to THESE DECLINES...

ScreenShot2012-12-20at102315PM_zpsfe8109ac.png

D712

ScreenShot2012-12-20at102214PM_zps4dfd3740.png

Inneresting... (sorry page cut me off).

All these posts at from the US GOV report and/or UPenn report.

D712

READ THIS ONE PGG...

ScreenShot2012-12-20at103356PM_zps016920d5.png

Read it close and hard! (specifically, the 2nd paragraph!!!!) Hmm, pretty accurate prediction.

D712

Take a look at the data when SEMI-AUTOS aren't used, and things turn into Automatic Weapons.

Everyone says a pistol is just as deadly as an automatic weapon, yeah, not so much.

ScreenShot2012-12-20at103133PM_zpsc44372e3.png

These posts aren't even worthy of the common sense denied by PGG and his followers.
Automatic weapons have NO BUSINESS in the US. Period.

D712

If you are going to invoke empirical evidence (and you should) consider looking at and presenting the empirical evidence.

- pod

Periopdoc,

The reason I took the position I did was because of the results of international studies that look at death rates related to gun deaths in different counties. Do you think that the strict gun laws in Asia may contribute to their lower gun-death-rate? Or do you think that is too large of an assumption to make?

From the International Journal of Epidemiology:

Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middleincome
countries

Firearm-related deaths Variations by country

During the one-year study period, 88 649 firearm deaths were reported by the 36 countries, for a pooled rate of 7.4 deaths per 100 000. Firearm death rates for individual countries vary widely. For example, age-adjusted rates of firearm mortality death range from 0.05 per 100 000 in Japan to 14.24 in the US (Table 1). Firearm homicide rates range from a low of 0.00 in Mauritius to 10.35 in Mexico. Firearm suicide rates range from 0.02 in South Korea to 6.30 in the US. Unintentional firearm death rates range from 0.00 in Hong Kong, Japan, Kuwait, and Singapore to 1.32 in Mexico.

Variations by geographical region
When responding countries are grouped by region, firearm mortality is highest in the Americas and lowest in Asia (Figure 2). In fact, the overall firearm mortality rate is five to six times higher in the Americas (12.72 per 100 000) than in Oceania (2.57) or Europe (2.17), and it is 95 times higher than in Asia (0.13). In the Americas most (58%) firearm deaths are homicides.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/214.full.pdf+html

Last edited:
It's difficult to have a meaningful discussion with anti-gun people in the immediate aftermath of any event like this. Just look at the irrational and emotional trainwreck the other thread turned into.

PGG original post in gun thread:

I had an enjoyable morning.

This, on the heels of a school massacre.

It's funny PGG, how we didn't care about any of your prior "I'm giggling" post-shooting posts. :idea:

Anyway, without rehashing this, it is indeed hard to debate such a topic (gun legislation) with someone as ridiculously versed in the US Constitution and the Founders therein.

But we already know that, Mr. "I won't reply to you, but everyone other than you D712, where I am able to handle a logical discussion and not get called on it."

D712

"Pretty sure, Wikipedia..." is that a solid foundation for empiric discussion? Did he or did he not recant and admit that he fudged the numbers? If you can't back it up, why would you even post it?

I have to concede this point, of course, but I think it's equally necessary to agree that 1) wikipedia, infinitely peer-reviewed and edited, is as good an objective source as any you'll find, and 2) Whether more guns = less crime is really complicated, and there are legitimate challenges to the validity of his work.

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/21/why_is_the_media_rehabilitating_john_lott/singleton/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2003/10/double-barreled-double-standards

Interestingly, if you google "junk science david hemenway," (Hemenway is a Harvard academic who publishes research suggesting restrictive gun control reduces homocides; the anti-Lott, if you will), you also get detractors (of course, the main one is the NRA, natch).

Is counting the positive and negative google hits equivalent to a meta-analysis?

The point isn't that I'm right and you're wrong, or vice versa, or that the links I find are better or worse than the ones you find, but rather that this is complicated and any data on such a heated topic are likely to be biased.

I guess maybe that just leaves us to people's beliefs which, let's face it, are probably as influential in the legislative or truth-finding process as anything else.

The NRA's proposal to put armed officers in every school is the most inane suggestion I think they could've come up with. Should we also put armed guards in every theater in America? Every mall? Everywhere in public?

Sounds like a great definition of freedom to me.

I'm not sure which would have been dumber, their suggestion or suggesting we arm ALL citizens who can pass a basic background check, open free government run shooting ranges, and fast track concealed carry permits. That's what I was expecting.
I suggest marital law. That will help with the unemployment problem as well. Special Security officers everywhere the public congregates. Papers please...

The NRA's proposal to put armed officers in every school is the most inane suggestion I think they could've come up with. Should we also put armed guards in every theater in America? Every mall? Everywhere in public?

I've got no problem with a police officer at a school all day. Many schools do so already, and some have useful functions beyond security (DARE, outreach, etc). My suburban whitebread high school had one there all the time in the late 80s / early 90s, and it didn't feel like a police state or prison. Well, no more than high school felt that way already, even without a cop around.

I'm glad to see you acknowledge that the police can't keep us safe though. I don't recall your stance on shall issue CCW, but given the above I assume you favor it.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is every day life in Israel. Public buildings are constructed with security in mind. One entrance only which is guarded. Secured perimeters. Wouldn't surprise me if these design elements start appearing in new school designs going forward. Just like 9/11 influenced structural design changes for new skyscrapers.

This is every day life in Israel. Public buildings are constructed with security in mind. One entrance only which is guarded. Secured perimeters. Wouldn't surprise me if these design elements start appearing in new school designs going forward. Just like 9/11 influenced structural design changes for new skyscrapers.

All of the recently constructed (last ~6-8 years) schools my kids have gone to have had one entrance, no exterior doors, fences. It's a very clear and deliberate design decision. It's not prison-like, obtrusive, obnoxious. People can't just walk onto campus.

I agree with PGG 100% on the school guard issue here. It's one cog in the solution.

The MASSIVE problem though - that the NRA wants to sidestep - that ol sneaky NRA, is stating that this should be done in LIEU of further weapons regulations. We need both.

NRA this gets a 50% score on today's speech.
1 out of 2.

Or, as the mayor of our land's largest city, Bloomberg said today, "a shameful evasion of the crisis facing our country."

D712

What's interesting is that the PGG gun-toting bunch will have you believe that the 1994 ASSAULT GUN BAN was an abject failure. They will have you believe that more people were killed with assault guns during the period of this ban, and they will also have you believe that NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, their data demonstrate this.

Then, they will read this chart and DENY that it, in fact, exists. And shows a success of banning certain weapons and Mass Shootings in the US.

photo-2_zps10d6da47.png

Pgg will spin this as he usually does, but as you know, he's all smoke and mirrors.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment being upheld -- with LIMITATIONS. Just like EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER right granted by that sheet of paper called the US CONS.

Everyone loving the debate that Obama, Biden and Feinstein are beginning now that will culminate in new REGULATIONS on the 2nd amendment. Common sense.

D712

Looks a lot more like random variation with a slow upward trend unrelated to the ban if you go back a bit further.

annual-mass-shootings_0.png

Looks a lot more like random variation with a slow upward trend unrelated to the ban if you go back a bit further.

Gypsy,

Look at the fatalities (red) from 94-04, get rid of Columbine. Then look at the same (red) for 95-12, get rid of this year. A noticeable increase, measurable, quantifiable. At the same time, look at the data in my posts above. Unarguable.

D712

Gypsy,

Look at the fatalities (red) from 94-04, get rid of Columbine. Then look at the same (red) for 95-12, get rid of this year. A noticeable increase, measurable, quantifiable. At the same time, look at the data in my posts above. Unarguable.

D712

Look at 82-88 with no ban.

I did. Outside columbine, still higher...

D712

You set a low standard when you can arbitrarily subtract out data that doesn't suit you.

Columbine and 2012 were statistically outside the norm, and anomalies, so fine add in Columbine. We're talking 94-04 and 82-93?
Still looks my argument stands with Columbine. Pretty interesting. Now look at what happens after 04. Include this year. Yeah... LIGHTBULB.
It's really clear the LULL in the chart is 94-04.

Coincidence? I think not.

D712

You know where I stand on this Gypsy. And as a Jew, I think your pic is in poor taste.
Different circumstances then too. Clearly. Nobody here is advocating removal of citizens weapons on mass. Just the autos, large mags and AWs. I'm also sorry you fear your G to the point that you compare the US to the Reich. That's pretty sad.
Carry on,
D712

Of course it'll never happen, except that it has happened repeatedly throughout history.

You prefer this image?
362eky.jpg

Last edited:
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century: 56 million.

Gun grabbers thinking of the children will never get it. Memorial Day is just a barbecue, "never forget" is just a phrase, and "shall not be infringed" is just inconvenient.

I'm not at all afraid of the government today. It's not about what scary-kenyan-mooooslim-soshulist-Obama will do in 2014 after a couple small chips at the 2nd Amendment in 2013.

It's about what could happen in 2050 or 2100.

Back up 70 years and look where gun bans got the UK: Churchill had to beg ordinary American citizens to send their personal firearms to his little Gun Free School Zone Island because his nation faced an existential threat from some efficient humorless lederhosen-wearing people who needed some lebensraum.

british_ad.gif

It is the absolute height of hubris to think that our nation, which has faced multiple existential threats in the last 150 years, for which an armed populace was instrumental to its own survival and the survival of its allies, is now so secure and powerful and enlightened that it won't face any more in the next 150.

And it's the height of insanity to weaken the 2nd Amendment and disarm Americans to ANY degree because you think those rights will never really be needed again.

The 2nd Amendment isn't about deer hunting. It's about killing people. Enacting an "assault" weapon ban makes as much sense as clipping off 3 out of 4 tines on a fork because it's too efficient at picking up tomato slices. Aside from being totally ineffective at its stated aim, it misses the entire point of having the tool in the first place.

Of course it'll never happen, except that it has happened repeatedly throughout history.

You prefer this image?
362eky.jpg

It's all adding up. You and PGG are terrified of the US G. I get it now.

D712

Gun grabbers thinking of the children will never get it. Memorial Day is just a barbecue, "never forget" is just a phrase, and "shall not be infringed" is just inconvenient.

I'm not at all afraid of the government today. It's not about what scary-kenyan-mooooslim-soshulist-Obama will do in 2014 after a couple small chips at the 2nd Amendment in 2013.

It's about what could happen in 2050 or 2100.

Back up 70 years and look where gun bans got the UK: Churchill had to beg ordinary American citizens to send their personal firearms to his little Gun Free School Zone Island because his nation faced an existential threat from some efficient humorless lederhosen-wearing people who needed some lebensraum.

british_ad.gif

It is the absolute height of hubris to think that our nation, which has faced multiple existential threats in the last 150 years, for which an armed populace was instrumental to its own survival and the survival of its allies, is now so secure and powerful and enlightened that it won't face any more in the next 150.

And it's the height of insanity to weaken the 2nd Amendment and disarm Americans to ANY degree because you think those rights will never really be needed again.

The 2nd Amendment isn't about deer hunting. It's about killing people. Enacting an "assault" weapon ban makes as much sense as clipping off 3 out of 4 tines on a fork because it's too efficient at picking up tomato slices. Aside from being totally ineffective at its stated aim, it misses the entire point of having the tool in the first place.

PGG, how old will u be in 2075? (I averaged your range).
I'm guessing about 100. And you're buying AWs now for when you're 100?

Holy ****, I'm done with this thread.

D712

It's all adding up. You and PGG are terrified of the US G. I get it now.

D712

If I were terrified of what passes for a government these days, then I'd be terrified to post about it online.

The point is, you have to consider the down side along with any expected benefit. Historically, murder of unarmed people by tyranical governments has outweighed murder by psychopaths by thousands of percent.
Instead of looking back 20 years. Look back a hundred years and compare the US with Europe, China, Russia, Cambodia, Iraq, Iran, Rwanda, Turkey, N Korea, etc

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you acknowledge that the police can't keep us safe though. I don't recall your stance on shall issue CCW, but given the above I assume you favor it.

I am in favor of strong gun rights once someone has legally obtained one. I just think the bar should be considerably higher for getting one than it is now. Like background check (including mental health flagging), 5-day waiting period for every gun, and mandatory training class high. Once you cross that threshold, carry it wherever you want to.

I've never been to Israel myself, but I have a lot of friends (Jewish and non) who have been. I have been to 3rd world countries where soldiers were in bunkers with machine guns on the corner of the street. From my and their experiences, I can't say I really want the US to turn out like any of those places.

I guess the question is, are these guns really making America safer over a 50 year stretch? Does easy access to semi-automatic assault rifles really save American lives over a 50-100 year period? When the next invasion of America takes place, will your, POD's, and Blade's AR-15s really make a difference?

Been offline for a bit and wow, the inanity is almost overwhelming. I will take a stab at a couple of things here.

First off d, you need to educate yourself about a few basic things. You clearly do not know what an automatic or assault weapon is. You should consider learning what they are before you try to make an argument about whether they should be banned or not. You clearly have a poor grasp of basic statistics and risk analysis. Perhaps some time spent studying these will help you interpret the studies that you are quoting. You also seem to be defending the handgun and attacking the "assault weapon" despite the fact that the handgun is used in far more homicides than any other type of gun. Is that because you happen to own one?

What's interesting is that the PGG gun-toting bunch will have you believe that the 1994 ASSAULT GUN BAN was an abject failure.

Neither PGG nor I need to formulate that argument. It has already been done by every reputable scholastic study of the 1994 AWB, INCLUDING THE STUDY YOU CITED. The studies have found that, for one reason or another, the effect of the ban was negligible. In fact they frequently go so far as to say that there is no reason to think that the AWB could have a significant effect on decreasing crime because "assault weapons" are used in such a small percentage of crimes. Even The Violence Policy Center said it wasn't a strong enough law to make a difference. It seems that only Handgun Control Inc. The Brady Campaign seems to think that the AWB was in any way successful.

The UPenn study that you cited An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003 had this to say

the ban’s impact on gun violence is likely to be small at best, and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were used in no more than 8% of gun crimes even before the ban. Guns with LCMs are used in up to a quarter of gun crimes, but it is not clear how often the outcomes of gun attacks depend on the ability to fire more than 10 shots (the current limit on magazine capacity) without reloading
Therefore, we cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence. And, indeed, there has been no discernible reduction in the lethality and injuriousness of gun violence, based on indicators like the percentage of gun crimes resulting in death or the share of gunfire incidents resulting in injury, as we might have expected had the ban reduced crimes with both AWs and LCMs.

When the US Dept of Justice looked at the Impacts of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban: 1994–96. They had this to say.
The ban has failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims.

They will have you believe that more people were killed with assault guns during the period of this ban, and they will also have you believe that NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY, their data demonstrate this.

No, there were no more or less. The assault weapons ban did not decrease or increase the number of victims or the number of gunshot wounds received by those who were shot.

Unlike Mother Jones, I don't need smoke and mirrors, I will just use the most impartial numbers that I can think of... The FBI's Uniform Crime Report numbers,

When you posted that image, something didn't seem right. The first thing that really jumped out to me were death rates for 1993 and 2003. According to the FBI's UCR, there were 122 total mass shooting victims in 1993 and 135 in 2003. Numbers which are clearly not reported in the Mother Jones graph. In looking at their exclusion criteria, I see that they were trying to make a case that the more random mass shootings (as opposed to more targeted gang style killings) are on the rise. Unfortunately, when you make exclusions like this, you introduce a huge amount of bias. And when the absolute numbers are so low, the slightest amount of bias is likely to completely destroy and significance in your findings. If we changed the graph to be mass killings, instead of mass shootings, then 1995 and 2001 would completely dwarf the rest of the years, but that would be introducing bias in the other direction.

There are on average about 20 mass shootings per year, a statistic that is agreed upon by experts on both sides of the debate. The reality is, even with statistically anomalous years like '93, '03, and '12, the overall trend is steady to downward.

Mass shootings in the United States, 1976 to 2010

- pod

Get ready everyone, for the replies to these postings from the PGG crowd, (aka denial denial denial).

Regarding the 1994 ban... see some numbers here:

Mixed? LOOK AT THESE NUMBERS FROM MIAMI, BOSTON, ST. LOUIS ETC)

A basic understanding of statistics will show you why the results were mixed, or you could just read the rest of the article as they explain it pretty nicely in there.

As they state in the article, AWs were used in a very small fraction of crimes before and during the ban. So, while there was a large relative reduction in some locales, the absolute reduction was in fact very very smal. Further, the effect of this reduction was muted as criminals simply chose a different type of weapon to use and used these with similar effectiveness.

Let me give you an example. Let us say that there are 2000 gun murders per year and "assault weapons" are used in 5% of them or 100 murders. If we decrease the use of "assault weapons" by 50% to 50 murders, we have had a huge effect on the rate of murder with an "assault weapon." However, we have only decreased the overall gun murder rate by 2.5%, assuming the criminal didn't choose an alternate type of gun.

That is what you are seeing when they say "mixed results." Yes there was a huge decrease in the use of one type of weapon, but the contribution to the overall crime rate by bearers of that weapon is so small, that it did not have an appreciable effect on the overall rate of gun murders.

- pod

One last little thing I will leave you with tonight. Understand that in the FBI UCR data, "assault rifles" are mixed together with other types of rifles into one category (rifles) for the purposes of reporting.

A little graph I put together from From The FBI's UCR Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Murder Victims by Weapon, 2007–2011

8298756075_e63eb89b16.jpg

I took the liberty of removing things like explosives, fire, drowning etc for clarity.

You still think that "assault rifles" are a significant part of the problem and a new AWB will make a huge difference in gun homicide rates?

- pod

I am in favor of strong gun rights once someone has legally obtained one. I just think the bar should be considerably higher for getting one than it is now. Like background check (including mental health flagging), 5-day waiting period for every gun, and mandatory training class high. Once you cross that threshold, carry it wherever you want to.

Then we're in agreement.

Though I am interested in seeing how mental health info is going to be effectively added to the background check. And I'm not sure if a waiting period to purchase a handgun makes sense if someone already owns one - but it's a minor point maybe not worth arguing over.

Of course, the devil's in the details. I hope you'll forgive me if I'm distrustful of the Feinsteins who write these laws, given their track records. She's the clown who wrote the 1994 AWB, had a hand in the absolutely incomprehensible mess that the Calfornia AWB is, wants inane things like microstamping, biometric grip locks, etc.

I guess the question is, are these guns really making America safer over a 50 year stretch? Does easy access to semi-automatic assault rifles really save American lives over a 50-100 year period? When the next invasion of America takes place, will your, POD's, and Blade's AR-15s really make a difference?

That's the wrong question.

The right question is, if it's the year 2050 or 2100 and an armed populace is needed for some reason, but modern weapons were taken away from the citizens in 2013, what are the odds that
- the ban would/could be repealed at all, particularly if it was the government that was the threat
- a significant portion of the population could reacquire the skills and knowledge needed
- enough weapons, ammunition, etc could be produced and distributed to private hands
... all in time to make a difference?

I don't need to look any further than the ad I posted above to know the answer to that:

With Nazis planning to invade England, the only people with guns were aristocrats with bird guns. And it's not like the Nazis just sneaked up on the world. Pip pip, cheerio, hope the Germans bring tea.

A totally unrelated issue is that a semi-automatic rifle (with a pair of $200 tax stamps for a short barrel and suppressor) is probably the best criminal home defense firearm one can have. Light, ergonomic, accurate, 20-30 rd magazine capacity, held with two hands, won't cause permanent hearing damage if fired indoors, and a greatly reduced chance of overpenetration and unintended injury to others compared to handgun bullets or 00 buck from a shotgun. The only downsides are cost, ATF taxes, and paperwork.

Washington and the leaders of his day called for a disciplined armed citizenry. (as above) By disciplined he meant trained, presumably by the organized militia.
We have absolutely no discipline today at all, excepting the military and nutter separatist groups stockpiling weapons and ammo (and booze and porn) in remote compounds. That's the problem and why things cannot continue as they are.

One last little thing I will leave you with tonight. Understand that in the FBI UCR data, "assault rifles" are mixed together with other types of rifles into one category (rifles) for the purposes of reporting.

A little graph I put together from From The FBI's UCR Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Murder Victims by Weapon, 2007–2011

8298756075_e63eb89b16.jpg

I took the liberty of removing things like explosives, fire, drowning etc for clarity.

You still think that "assault rifles" are a significant part of the problem and a new AWB will make a huge difference in gun homicide rates?

- pod

Pod,

Lets be honest,

1) if I didn't have an excellent understanding of stats, I wouldn't be on this board or on my larger pathway. So please don't ignore the stats I've posted.
2) you can twist and ignore stats all you want, these guns are not reasonable weapons.
3) assault weapons. Justice Scalia had a thought about AWs, have you read his thought? A basic grasp of cons law will show you that the 2nd amendment is up for grabs in terms of reasonable limits. You seem to think I don't know what an AW is. It's not a glock. Ask Dianne Feinstein what an assault Weapon is. Reloading after 10 rounds isn't an infringement on your 2nd amendment. At least, it won't be.
4) please prepare yourself for #3
5) this idiot on face the nation this morning, won't even say the term assault weapon without saying "so-called." More bullets, faster bullets, larger and more devastating wounds kill more. See Scalia comment. Twist it all you like. The Harvard paper was quoted this morning on face the nation. Really simple: more guns = more homicides.
6) I hope you can grasp the stats of that Harvard paper, they are REALLY SIMPLE. twist and ignore all u like. I've posted many stats in the other thread about deaths
When AWs and LCMs are used.
7) 30000 gun related deaths in the US. u don't think guns need to come off the street as a FACET of the solution?
8) mind boggling.
9) your chart pays attention to the 29,900 deaths (by handguns). Or so.
That needs addressing too. Big time. Limits. less guns on the street. Etc. we are talking about mass murders -- specifically - the kids thing and protecting them. That's the current zeitgeist. In that regard, mosey over to the other thread and check out the 9mm vs AW stats. One step at a time. One limit at a time. And yes, the Harvard study is clear: less guns and maybe we won't be the embarrassment of the developed world. When it comes to guns.

D712

Last edited:
Pod,

Lets be honest,

1) if I didn't have an excellent understanding of stats, I wouldn't be on this board or on my larger pathway. So please don't ignore the stats I've posted.
2) you can twist and ignore stats all you want, these guns are not reasonable weapons.
3) assault weapons. Justice Scalia had a thought about AWs, have you read his thought? A basic grasp of cons law will show you that the 2nd amendment is up for grabs in terms of reasonable limits. You seem to think I don't know what an AW is. It's not a glock. Ask Dianne Feinstein what an assault Weapon is. Reloading after 10 rounds isn't an infringement on your 2nd amendment. At least, it won't be.
4) please prepare yourself for #3
5) this idiot on face the nation this morning, won't even say the term assault weapon without saying "so-called." More bullets, faster bullets, larger and more devastating wounds kill more. See Scalia comment. Twist it all you like. The Harvard paper was quoted this morning on face the nation. Really simple: more guns = more homicides.
6) I hope you can grasp the stats of that Harvard paper, they are REALLY SIMPLE. twist and ignore all u like. I've posted many stats in the other thread about deaths
When AWs and LCMs are used.
7) 30000 gun related deaths in the US. u don't think guns need to come off the street as a FACET of the solution?
8) mind boggling.
9) your chart pays attention to the 29,900 deaths (by handguns). Or so.
That needs addressing too. Big time. Limits. less guns on the street. Etc. we are talking about mass murders -- specifically - the kids thing and protecting them. That's the current zeitgeist. In that regard, mosey over to the other thread and check out the 9mm vs AW stats. One step at a time. One limit at a time. And yes, the Harvard study is clear: less guns and maybe we won't be the embarrassment of the developed world. When it comes to guns.

D712

Pod addressed your points, now you may disagree with his comments but he took a significant amount of time to address the studies. How did you respond?

You bring up other information that doesn't address any of his points. This is frustrating because I was looking forward to your responses and hoping to learn from them. I'll address your numbered responses above.

1. The overwhelming majority of people with a medical degree hate statistics and have a minimal understanding of it. So stating that because you are on this board and are traveling along the medicine pathway makes you a statistical ninja is wrong. I believe you know and understand statistics, but I also believe you are choosing to ignore it. What statistics have you posted? You've posted numbers, that are lacking statistical analysis to show if they are significant or not. If the studies have this information and you are not posting it, then the fault lies with you. However, if the studies lack statistical analysis then the problem lies with the studies and speaks of their quality.

2. This is your opinion that these are not reasonable weapons.. Just as the others have their opinion. Pod, et al. are analyzing the studies you posted, what is wrong with that? Should we just take all papers at face value?

3. You could put the criticism to rest of your knowledge over assault weapons/automatic/semi automatic by just writing out two of three sentences. Why not do it? Does Sen. Diane F. have knowledge of what defines an assault weapon, well we can chalk that up to two different opinions as well. I think this entire #3 issue could be settled if you just answered their question, it isn't meant to be demeaning. I don't think I can define what an assault weapon is. Why not answer in a simple and quick manner? What's the downside?

4. We will see, won't we?

5. He's not an idiot, whether you agree with his opinions or not. However, this comment speaks to a bigger trend, your inability to respond intellectually to someone's criticism of your prior posts. Just because a paper is quoted on a morning talk show(Harvard paper) makes it good? Makes it immune to criticism on an intellectual level? It isn't really simple that 'more guns = more homicides,' how do you reconcile the comments from pod above?

6. You posted a study. People have asked questions about the study and you have not responded. Bringing numbers to a discussion is important, but the discussion about those numbers is just as important. It's time consuming to respond and research, but why not do it?

7. You know his answer.

8. What is?

9. So you once told me to address the older thread to understand your views, and I did. In that thread you had no problems with handguns, so now that is changing? What would you like to do with handguns? What's interesting is your comment 'one step at a time, one limit at a time' So what's your final end game? People laugh when an individual warns of a 'slippery slope,' I do too a lot of time. Just come out and state your position, ban all guns?

One more comment you made in #9, about being the embarrassment of the developed world. I remember hearing that in 2004 when every country except Israel wanted Kerry to win over Bush. I remember hearing some analysts saying see, we should elect Kerry. Really? We are suppose to base our decisions on how foreign nations view us? We aren't going to change our gun laws because other nations sit in disbelief over how available guns are in this country, or their views on the number of gun related deaths in this country.

It's a shame you won't go the extra step in this discussion, it could be really informative for both sides.

Pod,

Lets be honest,

Except that you clearly do not, as so eloquently pointed out by periop. Pursuing a medical career doesn't suddenly make you some stats master, hell based off many of the questionable studies that actually make it to print I am inclined to believe the opposite. . .

Edit: Also, you're stats weren't ignored. They just don't display reality very well...

Last edited:
pie944 said:
Pod addressed your points, now you may disagree with his comments but he took a significant amount of time to address the studies. How did you respond?

You bring up other information that doesn't address any of his points. This is frustrating because I was looking forward to your responses and hoping to learn from them

Because this isn't a discussion for him. He has a cemented notion of "assault weapons" as evil, without having a tangible idea of what constitutes an "assault weapon" and is looking for and citing validations that support his beliefs without analyzing. I really don't think it's worth the time or effort...

Why the NRA's School Shield program won't make your children appreciably safer.

A graph of the causes of death in 2009 for children of all races, both sexes, aged 5-14 vs all pediatric (5-18) school shooting deaths since Columbine (inclusive).

8299975571_9fcc9d07e9.jpg

For the sake of graph clarity, I left out causes of death for ages 14-19 and to avoid any question of bias I included cases where the shooting was targeted at a single individual. I did not include shooting deaths at higher education institutions since that is not covered by the shield program. This does include the most recent Connecticut data.

In one year, flu or pneumonia killed 3.73 times more 5-14 year olds than the total number of 5-18 year olds killed in school shootings since Columbine.

And we are going to spend how many millions of dollars trying to prevent a one in a million occurrence. It's like trying to decrease speeding rates by focusing on Bugatti Veyrons. Wouldn't it be better to spend that money on less vivid, but more significant contributors to pediatric mortality?

- pod

Because this isn't a discussion for him. He has a cemented notion of "assault weapons" as evil, without having a tangible idea of what constitutes an "assault weapon" and is looking for and citing validations that support his beliefs without analyzing. I really don't think it's worth the time or effort...

Agree completely...the same thing happened after Aurora. None of us are ever going to change his mind (though I guess honestly none of us will change our mind either). Still fun to poke at him from time to time though.

Why the NRA's School Shield program won't make your children appreciably safer.

I agree - it's a stupid idea that's as reactionary and short sighted as movement from the other side. Probably even more so. I am fine with teachers carrying (with CCL), if they so choose, however. I see no good reason to prohibit them

Statistical analysis on the Mother Jones data would be a cinch... if they would give us the actual numbers like I did in my last graph. Unfortunately, they do not give us their adjusted or raw numbers, so we cannot evaluate their data for bias, trending, or statistical significance. If you can find them, I would be happy to run through a basic statistical analysis of them here so that we can figure out if it is more likely that there is a real trend here or if 2012 more likely represents a random statistical anomaly.

A couple of citations for your perusal

From Western Criminology Review
A Circle of Distortion: The Social Construction of Mass Murder in the United States

From Boston.com as authored by James Alan Fox The Lipman Family Professor of Criminology, Law and Public Policy Northeastern University
No increase in mass shootings

LA Times repeats the James Alan Fox claims.
2012 is tragic, but mass shootings not increasing, experts say

- pod

I know PeriopDoc put a lot of time into that graph, etc. It's appreciated. But to say that my feelings about gun control are lacking, and that I don't "really understand" the stats, are signs of my lack of statistical conceptualizing -- is utterly ridiculous.

You gun-lovers are SO honed in on your personal preferences that you simply will not even logically consider all the stats I (time consumingly posted).

Like arguing with religious zealots, as I've stated before.

D712

You seem to think I don't know what an AW is. It's not a glock. Ask Dianne Feinstein what an assault Weapon is.

The Hon. Ms. Feinstein wouldn't take my call but the Calguns Foundation has prepared a nice FAQ on what constitutes an assault weapon in the State of California. Guess what is on that list?

Glock19ThreadedBarrel8-094.jpg

This is a Glock 19. The current California "assault weapon" ban Dianne Feinstein authored classifies it a Category III "assault weapon" and possession is a felony.

- pod

I know PeriopDoc put a lot of time into that graph, etc. It's appreciated. But to say that my feelings about gun control are lacking, and that I don't "really understand" the stats, are signs of my lack of statistical conceptualizing -- is utterly ridiculous.

You gun-lovers are SO honed in on your personal preferences that you simply will not even logically consider all the stats I (time consumingly posted).

Like arguing with religious zealots, as I've stated before.

D712

I'm no gun lover. I own exactly one Sig for home defense. I do not have a CCW and the weapon only leaves the house to go to the range 3-4 times a year to make sure I can still hit what I am aiming at.

My issue is with people trying to limit freedoms because of emotion as opposed to looking at reality. Please don't lump us all together. :cool: