Whether or not to send Grade Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weathertalk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... grades are in this semester and I took a very light load (2 letter graded non science, 1 P/NP non-science, two small field-study/independent study projects in non-science areas which are only graded P/F) and thus did ok despite being away for interviews (14 in total). My GPA dropped a few hundredths of a GPA point. 3.9 --> 3.86, though I would think that this variation is pretty negligible.

Do you think it's necessary/advisable for me to update schools with my new grades? IE, how much do schools value these updates post-interview and pre-decision? Should I just wait 'til I get admissions decisions then update the schools I'm waitlisted at?

The particular schools I'd be updating are Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Baylor, and Michigan.

Members don't see this ad.

So... grades are in this semester and I took a very light load (2 letter graded non science, 1 P/NP non-science, two small field-study/independent study projects in non-science areas which are only graded P/F) and thus did ok despite being away for interviews (14 in total). My GPA dropped a few hundredths of a GPA point. 3.9 --> 3.86, though I would think that this variation is pretty negligible.

Do you think it's necessary/advisable for me to update schools with my new grades? IE, how much do schools value these updates post-interview and pre-decision? Should I just wait 'til I get admissions decisions then update the schools I'm waitlisted at?

The particular schools I'd be updating are Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Baylor, and Michigan.

Unless it is really good, you don't need to send grade updates. I got a 4.0 for the first time this quarter (none were taken pass/fail), so you can guess who got emails. Fold it into a thank you letter.