Whether or not to take the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcfa002

UCSF SoP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to USN this year when it opens up, and hoping to get in. I don't really want to spend the money(and time, as studying for it will be in the fall during school) on taking the PCAT. If I don't get in to USN, there is still a handful of schools that I could apply to next year that don't require it, but it seems like I would be limiting myself because of my GPA(3.5c, 3.7s).

Should I just bite the bullet and take it?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah u should take it.....b/c if u don't get in this year youll have a set of scores to report.....and guess what USN will require the pcat next year(2010) and u can send these scores in early and have a good chance of getting in.....

Ya I knew that USN was requiring it next year. I don't know if I will apply to USN next year(If I don't get in this year). Having all of my prereq's done, being able to get LOR's from professors, and having some EC's will open up some more doors application wise.

I guess I just answered my own question though, taking the PCAT will open alot more opportunities to apply

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the boat my friend. I want to apply to USN, I called them the other day and they said that they will not require the PCAT and they do not want u to get LOR as well. Also, they accept 50+% out of state, but they did mention that they expect u to have a min 3.5+ GPA and no less than a B in all requirements. I' going to apply early sept when they open, but still I'm going to take the PCAT on oct to have more options.

Good luck!
That is strange though, on their website it says they require a C in all math/science prereq's and a B in only English and public speaking. I have a C in G-chem lab and a B- in a G-chem lecture, so that makes me a little nervous.

I am planning on taking the PCAT in the first offering of 09 right now

I'm applying to USN and only USN this year. I'm planning on taking the PCAT in January so I can study for it over winter break. If I don't get into USN (and maybe even if I do), I plan to apply to a wider variety of schools next year. You could take it in January or even next summer if you don't need the scores until next year anyway.

It seems like that the plan for a lot of people lol

Good luck!
That is strange though, on their website it says they require a C in all math/science prereq's and a B in only English and public speaking. I have a C in G-chem lab and a B- in a G-chem lecture, so that makes me a little nervous.

I am planning on taking the PCAT in the first offering of 09 right now

yea that what i thought too, but when i called them they said that the last year class had a AVG GPA was about 3.6. I'm going to apply to FAMU they do not require PCAT as well and they are the cheapest pharmacy school out there they will charge me about $4000 a year since im florida resident :D

yea that what i thought too, but when i called them they said that the last year class had a AVG GPA was about 3.6. I'm going to apply to FAMU they do not require PCAT as well and they are the cheapest pharmacy school out there they will charge me about $4000 a year since im florida resident :D

Lucky you! I'm in cali, so in state tuition for places like UCSF and UCSD(still really hard to get into) are 20k. I may retake that g-chem class then to get those off my transcript. The big think for me w/ USN is no LOR. I know I can get one from one professor now, but I havn't had enough contact with any others yet

Lucky you! I'm in cali, so in state tuition for places like UCSF and UCSD(still really hard to get into) are 20k. I may retake that g-chem class then to get those off my transcript. The big think for me w/ USN is no LOR. I know I can get one from one professor now, but I havn't had enough contact with any others yet

same reason why I'm applying to USN my friend, no LOR. I hope I will get accepted there, but at the same time I'm afraid from the distraction in Nevada!! :scared:

same reason why I'm applying to USN my friend, no LOR. I hope I will get accepted there, but at the same time I'm afraid from the distraction in Nevada!! :scared:
:laugh:
I think it will be alright, as a pharmacy student I think I would be studying to much to realize the temptation. I see it as a new place to live, and Vegas as a place to go when there is time. There is alot more to vegas then just the strip, from what I hear

I just graduated from FAMU. It is a great program. It does not require you to take the PCAT but they're pretty rough to get into. About 1200 ppl apply and only 30 to 40 transfer students make it into the program.

this doesnt really relate to this post but it is still about the PCAT. anyways, i have heard from a lot of ppl who have already taken the PCAT that usually the percent of questions correct is on avg 10 percent less than the percentile (ony applies for 40%-80%)? is that an accurate statement?