Which activity to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I just had a quick question; I know there's no "correct" answer, but I just wanted to get people's opinions. =) I've currently been accepted into two programs for next fall: an internship at WHO studying global health initiatives, and an internship at a nonprofit organization in Mexico helping with AIDS research and youth education. Is there a stronger/more impressive choice out of these two? I'm pretty much torn, since I'm equally attracted to both.

Info about me: I'm currently a nontraditional applicant (5 years out of college) in the 2013 application cycle, so any info about my involvement with these projects will be included in an update to med schools around Oct-Nov 2013.

Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I say go with the AIDS research thing.

Hi everybody!

I just had a quick question; I know there's no "correct" answer, but I just wanted to get people's opinions. =) I've currently been accepted into two programs for next fall: an internship at WHO studying global health initiatives, and an internship at a nonprofit organization in Mexico helping with AIDS research and youth education. Is there a stronger/more impressive choice out of these two? I'm pretty much torn, since I'm equally attracted to both.

Info about me: I'm currently a nontraditional applicant (5 years out of college) in the 2013 application cycle, so any info about my involvement with these projects will be included in an update to med schools around Oct-Nov 2013.

Thanks so much everyone!

Which do you think will be more rewarding to you and more beneficial to those you're spending your time with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the replies!

Goro - I appreciate the response! Is there a reason why you say go with the AIDS research project?

EmergencyMonkey - I'm not sure--I think I have pretty strong arguments for both. :( I started a nonprofit where we focus on getting disadvantaged kids interested in the health professions, and the kids I work with are mostly Hispanic, so it would be nice to go to Mexico and get immersed in the culture, understand more about their mindset toward health, etc. It's also cheaper (by a lot).

On the other hand, WHO is a huge name, and global health is something I'm very interested in. I'm involved in some projects where we send supplies to medically underserved communities worldwide, so this would be a great way to understand more about how to better serve these populations.

Thus I guess since my motivation for both is pretty equivalent, I'm wondering if there is one that "looks" more impressive on paper. Thanks again for any suggestions! Any advice at all is much appreciated. :)

I'm wondering if there is one that "looks" more impressive on paper. Thanks again for any suggestions! Any advice at all is much appreciated. :)

^^ I think this is where you'll go wrong. They both are great experiences for you AND the people/children YOU will affect. Don't worry about what looks good on paper, worry about what feels right in your heart, and you'll be successful.

My answer:

Go with whichever position gives you personal exposure to patients and once within the organization insist on being exposed to patients as opposed to paperwork. Working with patients is impressive, shuffling papers and banging keyboards... not so much

EmergencyMonkey - Thank you for the advice, I absolutely agree!

RurMed - Thank you! That's what I was thinking too--both seem pretty equal to me, even in terms of how they seem on paper. Will definitely do a little more questioning regarding which one has more exposure to human interaction.

Pons Asinorum - I appreciate your advice! Very much agreed...money is definitely a pretty big issue since I can't afford to be throwing cash around everywhere. (Neither is a paid position, and Europe isn't exactly the cheapest place to live.)

Big thanks to everyone again! This has given something to think about over the next few days. You all are the best. =)

Pons Asinorum - I appreciate your advice! Very much agreed...money is definitely a pretty big issue since I can't afford to be throwing cash around everywhere. (Neither is a paid position, and Europe isn't exactly the cheapest place to live.)

Go to Mexico then. Cheaper. You'll have more fodder for your PS (underserved/humanitarian/AIDS/etc.) Both would be cool, but I assume from your original post you're really wanting to mine the value of this towards an app. Do Mexico. Come back fluent in Spanish and list that on your AMCAS as well.

AIDS research in Mexico for sure!

In lieu of recent events in Mexico, I'd think seriously before going there.
You need to be alive to have a chance at medical school. Don't think they like dead applicants :)

In lieu of recent events in Mexico, I'd think seriously before going there.
You need to be alive to have a chance at medical school. Don't think they like dead applicants :)

Always room for cadavers

Pons Asinorum - Thank you so much--incredibly helpful advice as always :)

CW 2010 - Thank you!

malaika - :laugh: LOL! Will definitely watch my back out there

EmergencyMonkey - I guess that's one way to make it past the AMCAS, haha!

A big thank you to everybody again!

Last edited: