Which anecdote is better for diversity prompt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogssaywoof

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling to pick which anecdote to focus on for my diversity prompt. Specifically, that prompt focuses on "diversity of thought" and unique factors in your background that will represent the diversity you bring.

1. First choice, I was going to lead with talking about how in my neighborhood I have an abandoned amusement park basically in my backyard. And how as a child I was fascinated by it and thought it was the coolest thing ever, but as I grew I saw that it represent something different for adults in my community. Connect this to how it represents hard times for the community and how it closing caused my rural community to lose investments and such.
--> focus more on rural upbringing and how I acknowledge that I was separate from most of the world and had to be open to learning and adjusting to life courses and the medical school would be a great place to grow

2. talk about how as a child I was told "I talk too much" and how I stopped talking and became a listener (this is obviously written better in my essay). I connected this to being an EMT and how I can recognize when a patient would rather not talk and that I can make them comfortable while we ride to the hospital or can be a nonjudgmental listener.
--> focus more on being a good communicator but also a listener and I would be able to express these qualities to patients as a medical student

I would appreciate any advice, thank you!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The prompt would be appreciated. What do you think "diversity of thought" means?
The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. [2000 characters ]
I took "diversity of thought" as having individuals from different backgrounds that will be able to approach situations differently because of that. That diversity in thought would assist a physician because different backgrounds would influence the way they talk to patients and relate to them but also being diverse in thought means you are open to different approaches and ideas. Truly I'm not sure if I am approaching that correctly kinda just went with my gut on what it means.

You're definitely in the ballpark. I just know that the "diversity of thought" concept (and as hinted by the prompt) is a theme throughout the University as shown by various diversity statements. Here are a couple of examples, but they point very similarly that diversity of thought is a university value:

Diversity Statement (UC Law School)

It is a prompt that is longstanding for the UCCOM, so there is plenty of advice you can glean from the various admissions consultant sites.

So to me, #1 has a better fit, but I think you need to pay attention to the diversity statements (I like the law school one) and how they say such a diversity of thought is a benefit to the learning community. How have you created a similar environment? You have enough characters to generate a brief story, but find one that leverages your background when it comes to your interactions with your peers in an academic setting, following the ideal characteristics described in the diversity statements. Your story for #1 does help you in any other prompt that focuses on "tell me about yourself" and "what's cool about you?" when it comes to diversity.

Topic #2 can be useful when it comes to an example of how you process feedback.