Which are aromatic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faerielynx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
can someone explain how to know if a compound is aromatic? I looked everywhere but still don't fully understand it...
I know it must be:
4n+2pi
every atom must have a p orbital
cyclic
planer
how it apply the first two? Or an easy way to figure it out... (be detailed as you can)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
can someone explain how to know if a compound is aromatic? I looked everywhere but still don't fully understand it...
I know it must be:
4n+2pi
cyclic
planer
how it apply the first two? Or an easy way to figure it out... (be detailed as you can)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatic

this can explain it way better than i can.

Hi everyone,
I know it must be:
4n+2pi
cyclic
planer

before you can come CLOSE to understanding aromaticity, you need to master orbital hybridization. and to any other orgo guru's out there, i think they'll agree. sure you could memorize those rules above, but if you don't know which atoms in a particular ring are hybridized sp3, sp2, etc, and are able to count the # of pi electrons... and to know the arangement of the p-orbitals...then it's gonna be tuff. good luck gettin that down :)

but to answer your question...that wikepedia site is pretty good