Which BIO to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHCO2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year at UHCO and we are currently in the process of ordering our indirect opthalmoscope. We need to place our orders soon and I really have no idea at this point. In lab we've only had exposure to older models, so I'm hoping there are some upper classmen, or practicing docs who could assist me, or at least let me know what there experiences have been. I've narrowed it down to Heine or Keeler, and am leaning towards wireless. However, I've spoken to some upper classemen who really like their Heine spec mounts (which are close to 700 dollars less expensive). Another feature that is being pushed is the new LED light from Keeler.
The Keeler model is the Vantage Plus. The Heine's are the Omega 500 if I go wireless, or Sigma 150 for the spec mounts.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have owned my Heine Sigma 150 head-mount since 2000 and still love it. It is light-weight, I am on the original battery pack/bulb (so no need for a LED), and it always gives me performance I am looking for. Spec-mounts were all the rage when I was in school, but I wouldn't wear one. I don't want to strap that thing to my face. It's much easier for me to slip the 150 on my head and go. If you wear glasses all the time, then it may be a better option for you, but definitely try it out first. Wireless is not really a big deal. It's easy to clip the battery pack on.

Did you have a vendor day when all the manufacturers brought their scopes for you to try? That's how I decided. Plus, I had the Heine diagnostic kit already and loved it. I thought about the Omega, but you'll hardly ever have a need for the filters they attach to it. The Sigma allows you to clip the filters on if you so choose. The red-green is built in and that's what I use the most. That and the small spot size for poorly dilated patients.

I'm a first year at UHCO and we are currently in the process of ordering our indirect opthalmoscope. We need to place our orders soon and I really have no idea at this point. In lab we've only had exposure to older models, so I'm hoping there are some upper classmen, or practicing docs who could assist me, or at least let me know what there experiences have been. I've narrowed it down to Heine or Keeler, and am leaning towards wireless. However, I've spoken to some upper classemen who really like their Heine spec mounts (which are close to 700 dollars less expensive). Another feature that is being pushed is the new LED light from Keeler.
The Keeler model is the Vantage Plus. The Heine's are the Omega 500 if I go wireless, or Sigma 150 for the spec mounts.

You should pick whichever one feels the most comfortable on your head.

Members don't see this ad :)
If both the Heine and the Keeler feel identical, then I would select the wireless option (battery rather than tied to a wall socket). I have used one for the past 6 years and with wheel chair or bedside evaluations, it beats trying to move the patients around.

If you are of short stature, sometimes it is easier for the patient to sit in a regular chair because either the patient cannot be laid back or doesn't want to be laid back or they are too high up no matter how low the examination chair is put down.

I've used em all.

Get either the Keeler or the Heine with the battery mounted on the headpiece.

I have a Heine 150 and have loved it. They wouldn't let us get spec mounts when I was at UHCO.

I've actually never seen any place that has spec mounts for docs to use. If you're ever going to do fill in work I'd get good with the helmets, too... otherwise you'll have to bring your own BIO everywhere you go.

My classmates have mostly the Keeler Vantage Wireless, and nobody seems to have difficulty with it. The class ahead of us mostly have Heines. My classmates that have Heines have had problems with the battery packs, but nothing really that serious. However I'm glad I got a Keeler since it is wireless - just pop it on your head and that's it!

I just spoke to the marketing manager of Keeler last week and he said that their company is soon releasing a new wireless BIO that works with LEDs and with a battery pack the size of a cell phone battery. The wireless I have already feels pretty light, but dannng this one's gonna be like wearing a ball cap!

I know I will be ordering the Heine Omega 500 Unplugged (which is the new wireless version). I had the opportunity to try both Heine and Keeler wireless as well as wired versions. I prefer wireless for the mobility, but it also seemed more balanced on my head. The battery pack (which is relatively lighter than I expected) helped to balance the equipment on the front of the BIO. In comparison the wired versions seemed front-heavy to me.

As far as comparing the Keeler wireless and the Heine wireless, I think it is a matter of personal preference, and I just seemed to have much better luck and feel more comfortable with the Heine. A side note for the ladies, the Heine back strap can move up and down so that you can comfortably wear your hair in a ponytail when using it (another big advantage for me). Also there is a knob on the top of the Heine to adjust how high or low it sits on your head which I found very helpful (I can't recall if the Keeler had this feature or not).

I actually tried on all of them (from Welch Allyn on sale for $870.00 with everything and an embroidered carrying case to the Keeler LED for $2400.00) which I was really not THAT impressed with FOR 2400.00! The Welch Allyn 12500 and the Heine Sigma 150 felt the best on my head and my wallet! I talked to several comprehensive ophthalmologists (family friends) and half a dozen optometrists that I had worked with before and here was the breakdown of what a few of them said:

comprehensive ophthalmologist #1 : I use the Welch Allyn in my clinic and it is a good piece of equipment for the money

comprehensive ophthalmologist #2: Save your money and buy any of those three brands that is the most economical for you. They all work fine don't be "sold" by a sales rep.

general practice optometrist : The Welch Allyn is good but I prefer Keeler to be honest. At this stage of your game it doesn't really matter-->get the one that is the most comfortable on your head, they all work.

ocular disease focused optometrist : I love Heine and that is what I have but I used a Welch Allyn for many years and it did the job just fine. Be economical first and then buy something with "bells and whistles" a couple years after you have established your practice.

Dr. Doan, Ophthalmologist(SDN Ophthalmology moderator) : I use the Welch Allyn in my clinic and you will do just fine with it.

It came down to a good deal for &870.00 (with tax) and a great warranty--ten years no questions asked (lifetime for manufacturer defects), for the Welch Allyn 12500 versus another 500.00 to 1500.00 extra for the other brands. Oh and another thing-------MAKE SURE you get a good condensing lens-------Volk 20D is excellent. My advice is not to wast e your money on "gadetry" (a.k.a LED). A small wire behind my ear leading to a small battery pack on my waste is no big deal!:laugh: The 800.00 or so that I saved--I bought my 20D, 90D, 3 mirror gonio (all Volk), and spent 130.00 on gas and food for 2 weeks...lol My family full of physicians most of whom have had Welch Allyn diagnostic equipment for years trusting the reliability of this time proven brand.
Good Luck.........

PS: Don't get suckered in by a sales rep selling you something you don't need at this point.

By the way, I pick Memphis to win it all!

I have the Keeler Wireless Vantage Plus and it works great. The battery pack does get heavy.
I paid 1700+tax for mine. Retrospective- probably not the best deal, but it had the best views of all the BIOs I tried on.

Two of my classmates that had Welch Allyn had their battery packs stop working. It is much cheaper though. And some got a free panoptic with their purchase.

You are paying for the student prices. If you were to purchase the BIOs as an OD it would be almost 1000 more expensive.

In February, Keeler introduced their new wireless slimline battery BIO with an LED light for my first year class to purchase. Heine also presented their new wireless BIO. My class was torn between the two choices because they both fit so comfortably and light! Plus they're both wireless! Without LED light, wireless slimline Keeler Vantage cost less than wireless Heine Omega, plus Keeler included 2 batteries while Heine only gives 1 battery for a similar price. Keeler seems like a better deal but in the end, most of my classmates purchased Heine because they had more experience practicing with it in pre-clinic. I wish I had more time to test out the new slimline Keeler Vantage before making a decision.

Either way, the Keeler Vantage and Heine Omega have great optics and convenient positioning of switches. I personally bought a Heine because I like how it fits on my small head.

A note about the LED light...

IT'S REALLY REALLY REALLY BRIGHT!!! And it is slightly blue, so things look a bit different.

:laugh:I was dying when I sat as a pt for my classmates. I'd rather have the regular lights cranked up full blast any day.

The keeler wireless BIO (headset battery) was the best thing about one of the craphole places that Ive worked. If there is one with an LED now, I would get that. It would be lighter, never burn out, and the battery should last for years on a charge. Lithium batter with LED? fuggedaboutit.

You should pick whichever one feels the most comfortable on your head.

Just want to say that I agree 100%.

This was really easy for me...the Heine 150 was the only one that stayed put on my little noggin. :)