Which biology courses are best for fulfilling the prerequisites? Botany/zoology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college has general biology, then zoology and botany. I'm obviously going to take the general biology, but does it matter if I take zoology vs botany? In terms of fulfilling medical school pre-requisites. These three courses are designed as "pre-professional" so they are at the right level. I just don't know about the content and how it looks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your gen bio a semester or a year?

Reactions: 1 user
Is your gen bio a semester or a year?
The general biology is one semester. It's actually called "Principles of Biology".

Course description:
This course introduces universal biological principles, including biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure and function, biochemistry, Mendelian and molecular genetics, ecology and evolution. BIOL is recommended for science majors and students in pre-professional programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
neither are going to be that helpful but both would likely fulfill most general bio prereqs. pick the one that seems most fun to you

Are there other biology courses like genetics, microbiology, physiology etc offered? those are more likely to be actually relevant, and may even be required by some schools

Reactions: 1 users
neither are going to be that helpful but both would likely fulfill most general bio prereqs. pick the one that seems most fun to you

Are there other biology courses like genetics, microbiology, physiology etc offered? those are more likely to be actually relevant, and may even be required by some schools
I actually took the anatomy and physiology series (two semesters) already... it was required by my major. I guess I'm going backwards because I still need to take the lower level biology courses, haha.
med schools wont care either way, but the only undergrad bio courses that will matter for med school are genetics, cell bio, and physiology.
Thank you! I appreciate the help. I have a feeling I would forgot most of the info by the time I get to med school anyways.

It seems that med schools just want to see that I've taken at least two semesters of biology, with labs. Maybe I'll take genetics in the future, that sounds cool!