which books should i keep??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BallDontLie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

With the semester winding down, ive got a bunch of books ive kept throughout my undergrad years and i was just wondering which books would be beneficial for me to keep as a reference for dental school? Ive got books from the following classes:

Biochemistry
Genetics
Animal Physiology
Immunology Case Studies and Coursepack
Microbiology
Molecular Biology
Cell Biology
Neurobiology

For all you dental students out there, which of these books are worth holding on to? Which should I sell back and pocket some $$$??

Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology or cell biology. These for sure, but I haven't taken neurobiology nor gone far into my dental school exp. to know whether or not if it will be helpful.

nrlee said:
Hey everyone,

With the semester winding down, ive got a bunch of books ive kept throughout my undergrad years and i was just wondering which books would be beneficial for me to keep as a reference for dental school? Ive got books from the following classes:

Biochemistry
Genetics
Animal Physiology
Immunology Case Studies and Coursepack
Microbiology
Molecular Biology
Cell Biology
Neurobiology

For all you dental students out there, which of these books are worth holding on to? Which should I sell back and pocket some $$$??

Thanks in advance for the input!

I'd sell back all of them.

Dental school will give you all the information you need to do well. I barely have time to look at the books we use in our classes, let alone books that I would use for supplemental information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rezdawg said:

Dental school will give you all the information you need to do well. I barely have time to look at the books we use in our classes, let alone books that I would use for supplemental information.

Very true....the only books Ive bought are the dentistry books....i havent bought one medical science book (except for Netters Anatomy which im sure is a must for everyone anyways).......

If you have time to read the medical books on top of the notes that they give you in class, then you are truly a superstar!

Hey reza, what are you doing up so late?

Dr.BadVibes said:
Very true....the only books Ive bought are the dentistry books....i havent bought one medical science book (except for Netters Anatomy which im sure is a must for everyone anyways).......

If you have time to read the medical books on top of the notes that they give you in class, then you are truly a superstar!

Hey reza, what are you doing up so late?

What are you doing up so late?

Nah, I usually go to sleep between 1-2 am. I would have preferred to be studying at that time, but I wasted my whole Sunday watching football and basketball. Gonna pay for it soon.

nrlee said:
Hey everyone,

1 Biochemistry
2 Genetics
3 Animal Physiology
4 Immunology Case Studies and Coursepack
5 Microbiology
6 Molecular Biology
7 Cell Biology
N8 eurobiology

!
keep 1, 3, 4very important and 5 too..
or may be 4 and 5 only...
you wouldn't need them all that much and when you do the material you need is quite small so the library would suffice

Here is what you should do:
Write down the authors and the editions of the books you have, and keep it in a safe place for the next three years.
Sell all of your books for top dollar right now.
If you are a pack-rat like me, go ahead and keep your favorite one, just to make yourself feel better. But you won't need it. And you will lose the 60-100 dollars that you could sell it back for. Of course, if they only give you $10 for it, it is already outdated so you can keep it if you want.
In three years, if you really want one of those books for some reason, pull out your old list and buy the exact same edition at Amazon for dirt cheap because they have come out with the new edition and the one you would have kept is now obsolete.

Rezdawg said:

Bingo. Having reference materials is always nice, but finding time to reference them is another story. The first couple of years I used my undergrad physiology book for kicks every now and again, but that was pretty much it.

I vote for selling them all back.

dentalman said:
Here is what you should do:
Write down the authors and the editions of the books you have, and keep it in a safe place for the next three years.
Sell all of your books for top dollar right now.
If you are a pack-rat like me, go ahead and keep your favorite one, just to make yourself feel better. But you won't need it. And you will lose the 60-100 dollars that you could sell it back for. Of course, if they only give you $10 for it, it is already outdated so you can keep it if you want.
In three years, if you really want one of those books for some reason, pull out your old list and buy the exact same edition at Amazon for dirt cheap because they have come out with the new edition and the one you would have kept is now obsolete.

superb advice. thanks