Which career path is the best to become a clinician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which career path is the best to become a clinician?

• Clinical or Counseling Ph.D. program --> Licensed Psychologist

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Masters in Social Work program ---> LCSW

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Masters in Counseling program ---> Ph.D. program ---> Licensed Psychologist

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

teal.gem

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I will be applying to grad schools this fall for the first time and I am confused because I don't know which path after graduation would be worth my time and energy the most, and would be able to give me the most ROI.

A little about me: I will be graduating this Fall with my B.A. in Psychology and I want to work as a clinician in private practice. I have 2 years of research experience, 1 poster, a senior thesis and a couple of posters on the way, and a couple months of clinical experience. Lastly, I want to be able to be in a financially safe place in 10 years and provide good therapy.

I currently have a few options for which path I should take:

1. Clinical or Counseling Ph.D. program --> Licensed Psychologist
2. Masters in Social Work program ---> LCSW
3. Masters in Counseling program ---> Ph.D. program ---> Licensed Psychologist

I am worried that I will not get into a PhD program on the first try (which is very likely) and will waste a couple of years reapplying to get in but I think that a PhD program will give me adequate knowledge and training to work as a clinician. I think that getting a MSW to become a LCSW is a good alternative, but I am afraid that it will limit me as a clinician and might make it harder to get clients.

That being said, I understand that there are many paths to becoming a good clinician in private practice but I am looking for the best path that will lead me to what my career goals are. Any advice on which path to take would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do good work, referral sources will send you more patients. Unless you have clear reasons for pursuing a doctorate, being an LCSW from a balanced to clinical heavy program would be a better bang for your buck/time.

Reactions: 1 users
LCSW is certainly the "fastest"
Which is best is dependent on your goals.