Which Carribean schools allow mcat scores from 1999

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend wants to go to Guadalajara, but we haven't been able to get his mcat scores high enough ( 5-6V, 5-6B, 5-6P). His old scores were 5V, 7P, 8B and he took another test with 5V 8P and 7B. Since this will be his third time taking the test we are considering holding off on the MCAT. But aren't there already some schools in the carribean where he can use his scores from 1999?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Medikit said:
My friend wants to go to Guadalajara, but we haven't been able to get his mcat scores high enough ( 5-6V, 5-6B, 5-6P). His old scores were 5V, 7P, 8B and he took another test with 5V 8P and 7B. Since this will be his third time taking the test we are considering holding off on the MCAT. But aren't there already some schools in the carribean where he can use his scores from 1999?

Thanks

Nearly all of them used to do this. Many of the schools don't even require the MCAT. There is AUC, ROSS, and SGU. But to be honest there are many other schools out there. Your friend may not be able to be licensed in all 50 states but he will be able to be a doctor.

Check St. Matthews, St. Eustatius, and MUA out. They all seem to be on the ball right now, and the students at these schools love it there -- especially St. Matthews.

Also, check AUC and Ross. They may count the MCAT that he took in 1999. I know of a person who applied that took the MCAT 10 years ago.

I applied to AUC for the JAN 2004 class with a 3.64 gpa and a 27 MCAT that I took in Aug 1999 and they took that. After being denied at several US school in 2000 and 2001, I totally got out of science/research for several years. It didn't seem to be a big concern for them that I pursued other avenues.

My interest renewed this year and I applied to AUC a couple of months ago and was contacted for an interview within 3 weeks after submitting my application. After alot of internet research there are pros and cons to going this route but if "getting in" is what is important then consider AUC. They have 3 classes per year so you don't have to wait a year everytime you apply. Plus; the island is the most like the US from what I have seen. It's a port of call for cruise ships, has most of the fast food places, stores, etc. If you have a family then AUC is the place imo. They go straight through the Summer for 5 semesters and then you return to take the Step 1 and start your 3rd year cores at one of the clinical hospitals they have contacts with.

The big con for most is that you will have to do third and four year at various hospitals around the country. Not a big con for me because I would like to travel some and it gives me the chance to see how different hospitals teach. Also; its great because I can get LOR's from places that I have been and that means alot when applying to residences at these hospitals.

The other big con is if you want Ortho or Derm you have a hard time getting a residence anywhere in the US. There are just not that many spots. It all comes down to the person though. If you have great step 1 scores it will get you an interview just about anywhere and then it's all up to you to show them how you shine above the rest.

Going to the Carb. shows you are very motivated in obtaining your goals and that you will not take no for an answer. If you want to make it happen then "get out there" and do it! Put going to the Caribbean in a positive light and you will shine above the rest. That's how I look at it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one is AUC???

Amercian University of the Caribbean located on the island of St. Martain. I believe it is about 50 miles or so west of the various US Virgin Islands.