a student

7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Hi guys, my friend who is an international student had an interview with riteaid today and found out that they no longer offer sponsorship for working visa because of the economy. She is now worried that she might not be able to find a job in the US. Does anyone know which chains offer sponsorship?

Momus

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
None offering new visa atm. If you are already working for them, they will renew yours but for new grad, they are not hiring international or foreign grad.

Mcat14

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I m just curious... Isn't that consider as discrimination by not hiring based on your foreign status???

Momus

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Nope. H1b visa only used if they need to hire due to lack of qualified citizen applicants. They have more than enough citizen applicants. No reason to hire you and pay 5000 lawyer fee + h1b fee to fill the spot where they can get citizen rph with no accents.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
I m just curious... Isn't that consider as discrimination by not hiring based on your foreign status???
The law requires the opposite, companies are required to hire citizens/legal residents first, and are only allowed to hire Hb1 visa when they can't find qualified applicants among citizens/legal residents.

anewmanx

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2014
Status
Non-Student
There is no limit on H1B visas for universities. Find a university that will hire you for an unrelated position. One good way to stay in the country. Still going to be hard to do though. Once you have an H1B approved by a university, a new employer can put through an H1B application for you that is not subject to the cap. They commonly call it an H1B Transfer.

I knew a bunch of guys who had some kind of legal residency that used the military as a fast track for citizenship.... might be an option. My buddy Mr. Yang did it.... math professor who took a job as a combat medic to get citizenship. They fastracked his application thinking he'd be a good candidate for ranger, sf, etc.... then after it went through he crapped out of medic training in order to get to a better MOS. Fun times.

Last edited:

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
there's this international pharmacist who's been with cvs for 5 years, but cvs won't renew it for her in the u.s. for some reason. she has to travel to canada to renew. not sure what's going on.

Reirrac

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
there's this international pharmacist who's been with cvs for 5 years, but cvs won't renew it for her in the u.s. for some reason. she has to travel to canada to renew. not sure what's going on.
Unless that particular person is a spectacular and indispensable employee, there is no compelling reason to go through the legal process and financial investment. Especially not for a profit-minded company like CVS. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

lcow2004

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
New York
Status
Pharmacist
I would not say that none offer it but the number is certainly less. When I started with my company (a compounding pharmacy) last year, I had them sponsor me so I know there are some companies that still do.

Reactions: jafx

WhiteSnows

Think Right and Grow Rich
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Next to the Ocean
Status
Pharmacist
The road is much tougher for international students. Have you considered to work for foreign company in your country? They pay a lot too and you have a life in your country.