Which class is best for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch_o

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these classes would be the most beneficial to take before the MCAT?

Anat. & Phys.
Histology
Ecology
Microbiology
Limnology

Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I concur with what my fellow Cal Bear said above. I'm taking Human Physiology this semester and I'm probably going to take Human Anatomy next semester. Not only will it probably help for the MCAT, you'll learn a TON with these two classes. I also recommend biochemistry and molecular genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the classes listed, A&P (especially physiology).
There is also alot of genetics since last year which replaced some Organic.
The last poster mentioned Biochem (I found it helpful, but after taking the biochem and then the MCAT, I took my cell biology major class, and feel that it covered everything on the MCAT w/o going into the detail that Biochem invariably does).

The other classes (histo, immun. etc.) all contain nice to know information, but the MCAT doesn't specifically test over information covered ONLY in those classes. However, taking those classes might reinforce knowledge learned in lower level classes which would make your more confident in those subjects.
(Ex. is mitosis). Obviously the MCAT could test over mitosis, so it only stands to reason that the applicant who had taken gen. biology, zoology, botany, cell biology, genetics, biochem, and physiology would likely have it down cold and be able to spend a minimum time on those questions than someone w/ biology and zoo alone.

BTW: Ecology and limnology for the MCAT are essentially worthless. (except for evolution concepts which are covered in zoo)

physiology but not as much anatomy

Hey dudes, none of those classes or the content of them will be stressed in the MCAT. Try focusing on your core premed courses (physics, chem, orgo, and bio) particularly the second semester stuff. You guys have to remember the MCAT tests you on simple principles disguised in incredibly intricate and extraneous details. However, once you boil it all done you start to see these principles are quite simple.

A&P>Micro

But WTF do I know.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Physio and anatomy I believe.

I agree, with a heavy emphasis on physiology. Most of the stand alone questions in the BS section were physiology type questions.

Of those listed, physiology.

An additional suggestion: some philosophy for the verbal. It is about the same kind of reading and logical thinking.

Anatomy is pretty much worthless for the MCAT.

physio is more helpful. most micro classes will cover a lot of the classic experiments that are often mentioned in the MCAT, but that can be hit & miss. physio will def. give you valuable info.

Physiology without a doubt. You might want to take a molecular genetics or cell biology course additionally.

The following Biology classes help on the MCAT:

Human Physiology
Molecular Genetics or Molecular Biology
Biochemistry
Immunology
Microbiology
Embryology
Endocrinology

Biology classes that dont help on the MCAT:
Anatomy
Histology
Botany