Which class should I take to be prepared for MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagger288

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Sophomore biology major this semester. I have an extra slot in my schedule that I want to fill with a course that will help me be more prepared for the MCAT 2015 version. My plan is to take all my pre-reqs before summer 2016 and take the MCAT during summer 2016. I'm on track to complete most of the pre-reqs by next semester (including organic chemistry, psych, soc, physics, statistics and biochemistry). To fill up my extra slot, would it be most useful for me to take a nutrition course, a medical ethics course, a humanities course (anthropology, etc.), a philosophy course, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are talking about science courses, then: Microbiology, I imagine, would be a good one. Physiology for sure.
If you are talking about assorted other courses... I'd have to say a psychology style class. (I don't lump psych into science classes)

A research/methodology course, or philosophy, which will both help your analysis skills (for different reasons).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, the MCAT isn't really content-intensive. You have to know things, sure, but having practice to develop critical thinking skills will be the most beneficial.

Provided you have a solid foundation in all four sections, I would honestly take whatever interests you the most. Medical ethics or philosophy sound interesting (to me) and would simultaneously develop your thinking skills.

If you lack a foundation in any of the above (perhaps look up a list of topics and see if you are weak in any), and wouldn't be comfortable self-teaching through content review, then take a course in that direction. If you are majoring in some form of Biology or Chemistry, you should have a decent enough foundation.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much all of the above that you've noted would help. Maybe throw in an upper division biology course (Genetics, Cell Bio, Histology, blah blah blah) as those all seem applicable.

A research/methodology course, or philosophy, which will both help your analysis skills (for different reasons).

This

You need to be able to think in different ways. Content can be learned through MCAT review books; what you want to do for a class with the goal of helping yourself for the MCAT is to expose yourself to types of passages you can see on the test, which is heavy in research based work and abstract persuasive passages(think philosophy, literature/music/political analysis).

I would recommend a molecular bio course if you haven't already taken an intensive one or a research methodology course where you get a lot of practice reading and understanding medical research articles. The latter would help you develop important critical thinking skills for the test.