Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Hello,

I'm a post-bacc student. I was a non-science major, took the pre-reqs, but am taking classes to bump my sciGPA.

So, I'm deciding on these two classes for the fall: Quantitative Analytical Chemistry or Immunology/Medical Micro.

I want to take the quantitative chemistry class, because I did poorly in general chemistry, and even though I did better in Orgo, I feel I need to show improvement by taking a class that builds off of the fundamentals of gen chem. Note: I will be taking Biochemistry as well, but that class will not help me improve my weaknesses in the inorganic/physical chem stuff. I've heard that the quantitative chemistry has very long and tedious labs, and since I'll have a somewhat heavy courseload, I don't know if this quant class is worth it.

The Immunology course is the class I'm most interested in. Between Immunology and Quantitative, I'd rather take the former.

So, which one should I take?

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've taken both courses at my school. Quant chem is much more challenging than general chemistry. The calculations are more tedious and you're going to become best friends with acids and bases. My quant lab was definitely more time-consuming that I thought it would be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I found immunology much more interesting and I think this course will be more helpful in med school. However, I took quant chem before the MCAT and it was useful just because the gen chem on the MCAT much easier.

Maybe take immunology this fall, considering your tough schedule, and then quant chem in the spring?

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I also feel that Quant will be helpful in preparing me for the MCAT (I will take it in April 2011). However, since you said the gen chem principles on the MCAT were easier than the material covered in Quant, I wonder if the class is really necessary and if MCAT prep materials will be enough for me. Aside from the MCAT preparation, I guess the main objective of Quant (for me) is to demonstrate my ability to handle inorganic/physical chemistry principles--but, I can also demonstrate this by doing well on the PS section of the MCAT.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I also feel that Quant will be helpful in preparing me for the MCAT (I will take it in April 2011). However, since you said the gen chem principles on the MCAT were easier than the material covered in Quant, I wonder if the class is really necessary and if MCAT prep materials will be enough for me. Aside from the MCAT preparation, I guess the main objective of Quant (for me) is to demonstrate my ability to handle inorganic/physical chemistry principles--but, I can also demonstrate this by doing well on the PS section of the MCAT.
Oh you definitely do not need quant to help you prepare for the MCAT. Most people haven't taken quant and they do fine. I was just pointing out that by taking something harder, the actual chemistry on the MCAT will seem more doable, and in that sense, quant was helpful for the MCAT for me.

Looks like you're learning towards immunology. Good choice. :thumbup: