1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Which classes to take this fall?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by crazydiamond, May 8, 2008.

1. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Non-trad with 2 kids
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I graduated with a BS Biology in 2001 and as a result, am a little rusty. I'm planning on applying next year and in the mean time, would like to take a few science classes to get back into the swing of things. My grades are not stellar. . .I've got a 3.3 overall and a 3.3 BCMP. During my first two years of college, I got many Bs and Cs in my science courses but during the last two, I got mainly As with a couple of Bs. I think I've shown a subtle trend of improvement, but would really like to take some classes now and master them to show that a) I've got what it takes and b) solidify the trend.

As an aside, since I graduated with the BS I've been going to school to get an MBA. My grades are excellent, but of course they aren't rigorous science classes and they won't affect my ugrad GPA.

First things first. . .any science classes I do take before applying should be at the undergraduate level, correct? Since I'm currently enrolled in the MBA program, will those credits still go towards my graduate GPA or will they go towards my undergraduate GPA? I do know that my GPA likely won't budge any, given the amount of credits I have, but it might help my BCMP GPA a bit. I'm looking mainly to establish a trend of improvement.

My main question, however, is what classes should I take? I got a C Introductory Biochem. . .should I take the more rigorous Intensive Biochem to kinda make up for it? It'll be a test for me, for sure, but I sincerely believe I can get an A in it.

Or, should I take some other bio classes that interest me (immunology, mechanisms of gene expression, etc)? I'm more certain I can get As in these classes.

And lastly, I didn't do so well in anatomy and physiology (Bs and Cs). I don't think my grades justify a full repeat for credit, but I am concerned about my grasp of the material. Although it's technically not required for the MCAT, I've heard it's helpful. Not to mention, my ego has taken a bit of a beating because of these grades (i.e., maybe I'm not cut out to be a doctor if I can't master A&P at the ugrad level). What do you think about auditing these classes? Or would I be just as well off if I dug out my old textbook and just studied that myself? I'll admit that I tend to prefer the structure of a class since I have trouble getting motivated enough to study on my own.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crazydiamond

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nobody's got any advice for me?

4. rogue0722

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well from what I can tell you usually want to make sure you've got a good GPA in the pre-req courses but adcoms like to see that you pursued upper level science courses as well.

Are you doing a formal post-bacc. program or just taking classes? I'd go for the upper biochem for sure (having talked to some med. students that can be required in some places).

5. princekc

10+ Year Member

crazydiamond:
    your best bet would be to talk to a pre-med adviser or to consider a formal post-bac program. If I was in your shoe, that's what I'll do.

Good luck.

6. crazydiamond

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Alright, so biochem it is!

I'm just taking classes and not doing a formal post-bacc. I'll actually probably only be able to take 3-4 science classes before applying since I'm also finishing up my MBA, so not really an informal post-bacc either.

I'll also make an appt with a pre-med advisor to see what they say! I remember 10 years ago when I was an undergrad I heard about some post-bacc program my school offers, but I'm not sure they do anymore. I haven't heard anything about it in years. I'll check into that as well. It's appealing because if you do well in it, you get pretty much guaranteed acceptance into the med school here.