• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Ezekiel20

Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dear all

Just thought it might be fun to start a thread and see which clinical skills have been taught to 1st years already.

As far as 1st year med students go, I may have a slight advantage because I am in my final week of year 1 (Most parts of the world start their year in Feb and finish in Nov each year).

So here's my list:

- IV cannulation (inserting drips)
- venepuncture (taking blood for labs)
- intubation (never tried on a real patient though..)
- basic life support (duh..!)
- taking blood pressure..
- performing cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, hematological, orthopedic exams
- auscultations of the heart, timing murmurs, extra heart sounds etc (part of CV exam really..)
- taking histories in the above mentioned areas
- taking a 12-lead ECG (a.k.a EKG)

That's it from me, so tell me what you've been taught :)

Ezekiel

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
The digital rectal exam.

My boyfriend complained a bit at first, but I explained how he was helping humankind and he had to admit I had a good point.

:D

TucsonDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
He just complained for show. If I were you I would question as to why he asked you to use 3 fingers. :eek:

About the Ads

Dr.Dijlah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Iraq-Baghdad
Status
Attending Physician
1, History and physical examination of all systems but I feel that I am still laking In CVS exam.
2,Intramuscular injections , venopuncture.
3,blood pressure>
4,per rectal and per vaginal examination..
5,I have helped in labour and got to do an episiotomy.

nice thread Ezekiel20 :)

DoctorFunk

Get down with the boogie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
The Good Land
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We learned where to listen for the S1 and S2 heart sounds, and had an optional hour lunch to learn how to take blood pressure, but that was about it.

I can, however, rattle off enzyme names pertaining to nearly every metabolic pathway in the human body. Impressed?

Neither am I. :sleep:

Callogician

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
They taught us how to conduct a medical interview, auscultation (heart/lungs/carotids), palpation of chest/neck, percussion, blood pressure. I'm in a problem based learning program, so we also pick up random things like blood sugar testing, Lachman's test, reflex tests, cranial nerve tests, et cetera. So far, we've had only same-sex groups, but next year, we have mixed-sex groups...which should be interesting (read: humiliating for fat chicks).

0T6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Toronto/Ottawa
Status
In curriculum: Histories

Through electives and seminars: basic cardio exam, fundoscopy, abdo exam, some bits of neuro exam

deegs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
suturing. lacerations provided by pigs' feet from the supermarket (i always wondered who bought those things......)

About the Ads