which clinical volunteer option should I choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

-Volunteer in clinic 40 hrs/week during summer for 10 weeks (400 total hours)

or

-Volunteer in clinic 2-3 hrs/week for a year (~120 total hours)

(on top of other non-clinical volunteering)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say the latter as it shows long-term commitment as compared to "oh, I need some quick hours". Just IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say the latter as it shows long-term commitment as compared to "oh, I need some quick hours". Just IMO.

Definitely the latter. Longevity makes you look more genuine. Binge-volunteering in a short period of time will backfire on you and make you look like a dreaded nox-checker. If you want to play the game, you gotta play it strategically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to go with 1, it gets you 3 times the hours.

40 hrs/week for a full summer isnt really binge volunteering. Like how working or doing research over the summer isnt "binge work" or "binge research."

In addition, depending on the volunteering position, the first may get you more hours, but the latter may offer you a more diverse range of patient interactions. For instance, in my experience volunteering through the burn unit, I have been able to experience patients recovering over months, building relationships through this time, and being exposed to a vast array of backgrounds.