which college has good premed programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acorn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of choosing three or four schools to apply to from the following list: Johns Hopkins, Rice, Washington U, Vanderbilt, Haverford, and Emory.
Which one is the best for premeds? Which one is the most competitive? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter one bit

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of choosing three or four schools to apply to from the following list: Johns Hopkins, Rice, Washington U, Vanderbilt, Haverford, and Emory.
Which one is the best for premeds? Which one is the most competitive? Thank you in advance.

Undergrad doesn't matter much at all. Your grades there do, but not the school itself. You'd be more prepared by picking a school with a program you LIKE, as you will be more likely to do well, I would imagine.

Undergrad doesn't matter much at all. Your grades there do, but not the school itself. You'd be more prepared by picking a school with a program you LIKE, as you will be more likely to do well, I would imagine.

I disagree, while the university "name brand" doesn't matter at all, the opportunities you will be given at some universities for pre-medical related things are much greater than at other schools. A community college isn't going to offer the same intellectual experience and pre-medical opportunities when compared to JHU.

For example, a certain school may have its own medical school or a nearby affiliated hospital, which works in conjuction with the university students.

I am transferring from my university to a stronger one because the science program is just so weak.

But I agree in the sense that the med school adcoms won't look at your app. and say "oh wow, yale, lets admit him"....that's not how it works.

Go to Rice if you can get in.

I was accepted to Rice, Hopkins, and an ivy league school. I eventually went with the ivy and recently graduated, but if I were to make the decision again, I would go with Rice from a premed standpoint. Going to an ivy league gives you an edge in terms of name value, but that means nothing at all in medical school admissions. Hundreds of your other classmates would have the same advantage. On the other hand, some of the friendlier schools have alot to offer in terms of student support systems and resources/faculty. As for Rice, you'll have no problem at all getting into the Texas medical schools. And should you excel in college and decide to spend the next four years outside of Texas, you also have that option.

I disagree, while the university "name brand" doesn't matter at all, the opportunities you will be given at some universities for pre-medical related things are much greater than at other schools. A community college isn't going to offer the same intellectual experience and pre-medical opportunities when compared to JHU.

For example, a certain school may have its own medical school or a nearby affiliated hospital, which works in conjuction with the university students.

I am transferring from my university to a stronger one because the science program is just so weak.

But I agree in the sense that the med school adcoms won't look at your app. and say "oh wow, yale, lets admit him"....that's not how it works.

I disagree and agree. Yes, obviously you want to pick a school with good opportunities, but I'm assuming that if the poster is already obsessing about this, when I tell him to pick one that he likes more, he's going to like the one that provides the most opportunities. I don't know many people who, when faced with Hopkins or a community college, would actively chose the community college (assuming we're talking about premeds here).

In my experience, med schools are much more interested in things you have done OUTSIDE of school. Very few of my ECs were associated with my university at all; I was told by several interviewers that I had great ECs, and no one looked down on me for the fact that only one was school related. So, basically, I think your time in college is what YOU make of it, not what the school can do for you.

I disagree and agree. Yes, obviously you want to pick a school with good opportunities, but I'm assuming that if the poster is already obsessing about this, when I tell him to pick one that he likes more, he's going to like the one that provides the most opportunities. I don't know many people who, when faced with Hopkins or a community college, would actively chose the community college (assuming we're talking about premeds here).

In my experience, med schools are much more interested in things you have done OUTSIDE of school. Very few of my ECs were associated with my university at all; I was told by several interviewers that I had great ECs, and no one looked down on me for the fact that only one was school related. So, basically, I think your time in college is what YOU make of it, not what the school can do for you.

Yeah, you basically agreed with me. All I was saying is that all premed "programs/curriculums" are not created equal, and some can give you an edge in med school admissions if they PRESENT you better opportunities outside of the school (like in a nearby hospital or med school). For example, mey previous college didn't have something as insignificant as a chemistry club up until 2006. But the bold quote is very true.

I disagree, while the university "name brand" doesn't matter at all, the opportunities you will be given at some universities for pre-medical related things are much greater than at other schools.
I disagree that the name brand doesn't matter. Yes, obviously a student coming from no name university with a 3.9/38 is much better than a student from Harvard with a 3.2/30... but coming from Harvard adds an extra something if you already have great stats.

Some numbers: Each year at Harvard med, about 1/5 of the class is from Harvard/Yale. Compare that to ANY other undergraduate school (even other ivies), where there are maybe 2 people per undergraduate school. Do you really think a student in the 90th% at Harvard is better than a student in the 98th% at Berkeley? No, but the Harvard kid is, in my opinion, more likely to get in. It's not fair, but that's how it works.

I disagree that the name brand doesn't matter. Yes, obviously a student coming from no name university with a 3.9/38 is much better than a student from Harvard with a 3.2/30... but coming from Harvard adds an extra something if you already have great stats.

Some numbers: Each year at Harvard med, about 1/5 of the class is from Harvard/Yale. Compare that to ANY other undergraduate school (even other ivies), where there are maybe 2 people per undergraduate school. Do you really think a student in the 90th% at Harvard is better than a student in the 98th% at Berkeley? No, but the Harvard kid is, in my opinion, more likely to get in. It's not fair, but that's how it works.

Duke had like 10 matriculants last year to Harvard Med. Name helps a little but it's by far what you've done in college that will set you apart, as each of those people were pretty amazing. Granted, you can probably accomplish more at big-name schools due to their resources, but you can do the same at less well-known schools if you put the effort into it. Don't base your decision on name or you might be miserable.

A lot of schools have a high turnover rate for undergrads going into the same grad institution. I was under the impression the OP was talking about what the name of school is worth when applying elsewhere. But yes, you're right about getting preference if applying to your own school.

i can give some feedback on Wash U. their pre-med program is pretty competitive, especially the first few science pre-reqs. however, the pre-med advising program , faculty, and research opportunities are excellent. the medical school is just a (free) 5 minute subway ride away and so many undergrads work in research labs there. getting research experience beginning in your freshmen year is not a problem; they are practically throwing them at you.

even though you have to work your butt off to do well (like anywhere else), if you put the time in, Wash U will do everything they can to get you into medical school.

also, the amount of (free) tutoring they offer for the pre-med classes is tremendous. there is a center on campus that is only for academic advising and tutoring.

that's just general info. if you want anything in detail, pm me.

I know someone who went to a city college that was really lackluster....and ended up getting admitted to the best (Harvard and UPenn)...his grades weren't OUTSTANDING but weren't poor either. I must say that this was in the early 90's, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a bit naive to say that undergrad school doesn't matter at all. While the grades are the most important thing, I think that a lot of time your undergrad institution is the deciding factor especially for borderline cases. That is why you hear about some Ivy kids getting interview invites while state school kids often have to be near perfect.

Well, the insititution doesn't matter in most cases because you have to be attending the Top 5 schools to get anby sort of bump from the adcom's. They don't care if your school is ranked 34th, you have to fall in the Ivy league to get any sort of special consideration.

i dont understand how you can say that what undergrad school you attend doesn't matter when it is a fact that some schools have a higher admittance rates. if you do well in any school you have a good chance to get into med school. but if you do well in a competitive school vs doing well in a not so competitive school the competitive school will give you a better chance. thats why i chose hopkins b/c i know i'll do well where ever i go but doing well at hopkins>doing well at a lesser school.

this is such a stupid thread

i went to a pretty much no-name little school with a below average pre-med program. all 3 (yes, only 3) of us that applied to med school, however, got in. i think this is due to the fact that we all knew our professors better (ie, really strong LORs) because most classes are capped at about 25. like others said, it is all what you make of it.

I'd open my list up a little if I were you.

And as long as it isn't some fake-ass online school and you pick up the pre-reqs, whatever. Go somewhere you can stand for 4 years and do what you like.

Well, the insititution doesn't matter in most cases because you have to be attending the Top 5 schools to get anby sort of bump from the adcom's. They don't care if your school is ranked 34th, you have to fall in the Ivy league to get any sort of special consideration.

You have spewed all kinds of incorrect information on here. I think from now on you should provide an obvious disclaimer before you provide your information....B/C MOST OF IT IS WRONG...DEAD WRONG!:smuggrin:

First off that crap you suggest about only receiving a bump if you attend a Top 5 school is bologne (or however you spell that nasty stuff:p). Adcomms from a variety of schools have said that they do consider school selectivity (and do give a slight bump to TOP 20-ish schools). However, they have also said that they consider how past students from specific universities have performed.

You have spewed all kinds of incorrect information on here. I think from now on you should provide an obvious disclaimer before you provide your information....B/C MOST OF IT IS WRONG...DEAD WRONG!:smuggrin:

First off that crap you suggest about only receiving a bump if you attend a Top 5 school is bologne (or however you spell that nasty stuff:p). Adcomms from a variety of schools have said that they do consider school selectivity (and do give a slight bump to TOP 20-ish schools). However, they have also said that they consider how past students from specific universities have performed.

All kinds? Alright, tell me what else I said that was incorrect, since you seem to know this topic inside and out? I will agree with you on this, since I am not 100% sure, and I never presented my OPINION as "information" or "facts"...get off your horse.

Being that I am a Rice U graduate, I feel that I can shed a little light on why Rice is definitely a GREAT choice for you if you already know that you want to attend medical school...

Here's some info:

1. Very Very selective school - School selectivity does play a small role in admissions decisions at many medical schools around the country (not all...but most...and the weight given is still relatively small). Rice U is known as the Ivy League of the South and has a great rep with med schools across the country.

2. Small Class sizes - It is quite beneficial to have small class sizes during college b/c it provides ample opportunity to get to know (quite well) the professor who could potentially write a GREAT letter of rec for you.

3. Rice/Baylor BS/BA/MD program - I highly suggest you research this...If you are accepted into this program (you have to apply to this program during your college app process...the latest you can apply is Interim Decision) you will be GUARANTEED a spot at Baylor College of Medicine (Top 10 in the country and positioned to rise...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:)...AND YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE THE MCAT...AND YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN A MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHH LOWER GPA than you would if you were to apply through the regular process...AND YOUR CONTRACT IS NOT BINDING...this means that you CAN apply to other schools if, come end of junior year, you are no longer sure you want to stay in Houston....I sooooooooo wish I had applied to this program. It would have saved a whole lot of $$$.

4. ample research opportunities - Rice has extremely strong ties with Baylor College of Medicine (To the point where at one point it was believed that Rice was going to take over the operations of BCM)...Joint research is conducted regularly...and Rice is currently building a new research tower geared towards interdisciplinary joint research between the two schools....yes...it is quite nice. In addition Rice is basically in Texas Medical Center (well across the street), which is the largest medical center in the world...and home to three of the best hospitals in the country...MD Anderson, Texas Children's, and St. Lukes...plus 8 more hospitals....and many more specialty hospitals/clinics/ and research centers...Students conduct research in the TMC all the time (especially during summer time

5. Cost of Rice - Rice is CHEAP compared to its peer institutions (John's Hop, Wash U., U Chicago, Duke, Emory, Princeton, etc...)...When I attended Rice my tuition was $25,000/ year...compared to $40,000/year at the other schools (and that is why I chose Rice over Wash U, Duke, Stanford, and Penn)...I thought it only made sense to attend the cheaper school...especially since it is comparable in selectivity)...I have NO loans to pay back and I got great academic scholarships

6. Division I school - yes, Rice is extremely small (only approx. 2800 undergrads...but I believe that number is being increased as part of Rice's "Next Century Program"...but not by much...It was quite nice going to a school that, in many ways, had a liberal arts college feel but had AMAZING research opportunities and had major sports teams (Hey our baseball team won the College World Series in 2003...and they should have gone to the finals this year...but they dropped the ball)

7. The college system - this is something that our sister school, Princeton introduced to us (via Oxford or Cambridge)...So basically, when you matriculate at Rice you are assigned to a College (dorm) for your entire four years...This college becomes your family...quite nice... GOOOOOOOOOO MARTEL!!!!! (that was my college...so was Lovett but I wanted to move to the newly built college...hey I got my own room...quite nice)

8. If I think of more I will definitely post!!!

All kinds? Alright, tell me what else I said that was incorrect, since you seem to know this topic inside and out? I will agree with you on this, since I am not 100% sure, and I never presented my OPINION as "information" or "facts"...get off your horse.

No worries, I have been off my horse ready to squabble with you for a while!!!!:p

Haverford!

For me, attending a LAC was the best decision I ever made: the classes are small, as is the college itself. Some people would find this type of environment stifling, but I find it very comforting to be part of a small community where you live, study, and party with a small group of people (trust me, its not at all like high school).

I am, however, a little concerned why you would list several universities along with one LAC. Generally, but not always, people apply solely to LACs or universities because as similar as they are, there are noticeable differences. If you have questions about LACs, PM me

It's been a while since I've told you how much I'm truly in love with you :love:

Haverford!

For me, attending a LAC was the best decision I ever made: the classes are small, as is the college itself. Some people would find this type of environment stifling, but I find it very comforting to be part of a small community where you live, study, and party with a small group of people (trust me, its not at all like high school).

I am, however, a little concerned why you would list several universities along with one LAC. Generally, but not always, people apply solely to LACs or universities because as similar as they are, there are noticeable differences. If you have questions about LACs, PM me

I completely agree. Going to a liberal arts college is a great experience. Small lectures, individualized attention, relaxed atmosphere, etc can't be matched. Haverford is an excellent college. I went to neighboring Bryn Mawr. I know a number of people from both schools who are now students at great medical schools.

However, it is not for everyone. Like the above poster mentioned, most people either apply to large universities or LACS. I would also include these LACs on your list: Swarthmore, Amherst, Davidson, Williams, and Pomona.

by the way riceman04, martel is STILL not a college... lol

by the way riceman04, martel is STILL not a college... lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
What a hater!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Everyone wanted to be just like us...we had the best beer bike/run team...that greatest number of water balloons and our powder puff girls...well...yeah...let's leave that one alone...But hey we have the best rooms by far

a good premed program is an easy program that gives easy 4.0

If someplace like Harvard/Yale/Stanford was on your list, I would choose them. But there is not much separating your list of schools in terms of prestige or opportunities. They all have nearby or affiliated medical schools where you could make great connections, such as research or shadowing.

A few things to consider:

1. Do you know what discipline you want to study? If it's engineering, for example, definitely include Hopkins and Rice. Research the fields you're interested in at the various schools.

2. What is your personality like? If you are very outgoing/social, I know Vandy and WashU are study hard/party hard schools, unlike Hopkins.

3. Rice is CHEAP!! You will likely have loans equaling a mortgage if you go to medical school. Don't discount the amount of your undergrad loans.

4. Haverford and Rice probably give you more individual attention since they are smaller.

In any case, you cannot go wrong with any of the schools on your list. They all provide great premed programs and opportunities and matriculate students into some of the top medical schools.

Vanderbilt.

Thank you everyone that has replied already; I am reading everything and learning a lot. If anyone else has more information on specific schools, that would be help.

If I could do it over again, I might have gone to Vanderbilt.
-gorgeous campus
-new setting
-medical school accessibility (research, volunteering)
-relatively easy admittance
-probably not competitive, probably easy-ish classes
-some name prestige

UC Riverside has the Thomas Haider program where the top 24 students do their first two years of medical school at UC Riverside, and the second two years at UCLA, achieving the same degree as if you had gone to UCLA from the start. Typically between 100-200 people apply for the program every year, as it is only available to UCR students. If you're interested in their mission statement, it provides an excellent chance at getting into UCLA for medical school.

Yes, no name prestige, but I'd argue that UC Riverside's undergraduate classes prepared me excellently for the MCAT. All the material was covered thoroughly, and everything I learned was directly applied to the MCAT. Either way, good luck with your decision!

7. The college system - this is something that our sister school, Princeton introduced to us (via Oxford or Cambridge)...So basically, when you matriculate at Rice you are assigned to a College (dorm) for your entire four years...This college becomes your family...quite nice... GOOOOOOOOOO MARTEL!!!!! (that was my college...so was Lovett but I wanted to move to the newly built college...hey I got my own room...quite nice)

go martel

Wow, that last post made me want to puke. But to answer the original question, I think you'd be fine at all those places. From a strictly pre-med, Haverford would give you the best chance of getting in, actually (I don't know about the past few years, but when I was applying to undergrad Haverford had the highest percentage of kids getting into med school across a number of years among all undergraduate institutions.

As a small liberal arts college person myself, I also just think that generally the education is stronger at places like that, as you get to know your professors better (at Haverford most live on campus), it's a more tight-knit community, and all the professors are there because they love to teach. People who went to bigger institutions might disagree, but that's my perspective as someone who went to a liberal arts school after a tough decision with a top university.

Don't let any undergrad's "percent admitted to med school" stats enter into your decision. This stat is only for those who survived the weed-whacking in the pre-reqs and is all too often just the pool of applicants the school chose to endorse. It's always inflated and virtually impossible to prove.

Any of these schools would be excellent choices for undergrad. Visit them all, spend a few nights on campus, and pick the one where you feel most comfortable. If you're happy at the school, you'll excel.

Don't let any undergrad's "percent admitted to med school" stats enter into your decision. This stat is only for those who survived the weed-whacking in the pre-reqs and is all too often just the pool of applicants the school chose to endorse. It's always inflated and virtually impossible to prove.

Any of these schools would be excellent choices for undergrad. Visit them all, spend a few nights on campus, and pick the one where you feel most comfortable. If you're happy at the school, you'll excel.

I agree!!!!

If you're up for a challenge, you really can't do better then Johns Hopkins.
Those accepted by the committee to support them have a much better average acceptance rate than the 50% national average.

a good premed program is an easy program that gives easy 4.0

seconded. it's not worth going to a school that deflates your grade even if you put 10x the work as someone in a grade inflated school. i'd go for whatever will enable you to get the highest gpa, hands down.

you'll be as sufficiently prepared for the mcats as you want to be (regardless of what institution you pick) because you don't need a college to teach you all of that material. a lot of the mcat material is pretty much AP level work from high school (except orgo).

so again, study hard for the mcat on your own (or take the corresponding AP courses now and work hard in them) and go to a school that'll give you a big fat 4.0. i would do the same if i could do it over again.

i always though ucsd had the best program,. heard it somewhere years ago and ive always thought it to be true.

If you're up for a challenge, you really can't do better then Johns Hopkins.
Those accepted by the committee to support them have a much better average acceptance rate than the 50% national average.

:thumbdown:

Of the ones you listed I'd go to Rice. I get the impression it has a big name in Texas (the rest of the country too, but especially in Texas) and I'll bet that the alumni look out for each other whenever possible.

lol how can you give hopkins a thumbs down?

Because going to any school because of boasted acceptance rates is a pretty bad reason to begin with.