Which course are you least looking forward to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of us who've been accepted and those who are hoping, which medical school class gives you the most trepidation?

I took a lot of similar classes in podiatry school and I can say, without a doubt, it's ANATOMY!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I will also go with Anatomy. Its fun, but the smell of formaldehyde (sp).

When I started last year I was least looking forward to anatomy - with good reason, because it was the worst of my classes last year. And you're right, the smell of formaldehyde is just awful :rolleyes: Make sure you wear clothes that you never plan on wearing again to anatomy lab, because no matter how many times you wash them the smell will not come out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a short and sweet formaldehyde story for ya.

I went to podiatry school a few years ago and we spent an inordinate time in the anatomy lab (I had one year of general anatomy together with a year of lower extremity anatomy).

One day, I was doing some work down on the lower leg where the particle/slop/juice bucket sits. I was hovering over the bucket for some time lost in thoughts of nerves, muscles, etc. Suddenly, I started feeling kinda funky and began to turn white (even whiter than I am). One of my partners noticed my instability, grabbed me and dragged me outside in the hallway. I passed out for a few seconds and felt sick the rest of the day.

Formaldehyde takes time to get out of your nostrils, too.

I'm slightly nervous about genetics! While I had some of it in the second halves of my biochem and biology courses during undergrad, there is so much detail. If anyone has any advice, let me know! :)

Julia
:eek:

I'm a necrophiliac, so anatomy will be fun.

Just Joking

AK

I think I am probably the most nervous about histology, simply because I didn't have much exposure to it in undergrad. I mean, we covered the basics in anatomy, physiology, and biology, but other than that, it is foreign to me.
I too am also nervous about genetics. I do not like the class, the subject, etc. I took the most basic genetics class to get by and that is about it. i know it plays a very important role in the realm of medicine, but to be honest, I could really give a crap about it!

I do love anatomy, phys, and even like biochem, at least some parts of biochem.

Good luck to all!

Chris

Adam...you are a sick, sick dude.

FEAR PHARMACOLOGY!!!!

You wouldnt think it would be that tough but the combo of biochem, a billion generic names that are never used in practice (you will use trade names there so youll relearn all of the meds over again) and the fact that the wrong script can kill a patient makes pharm ONE TOUGH COURSE.

As a DPM, I can happily say that I've already taken a year of pharmacology.

jimdo is right. FEAR PHARMACOLOGY! For some odd reason, I liked it and did really well. But, the majority of students struggled and it proved to be just as heinous as General Anatomy.

Personally, aside from anatomy, I thought immunology was a total beeyotch.