which dental school should I choose from these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobeDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who know about the following dental schools, can you please talk about their quality, facility, education, etc.? Disregarding cost, which is the school you would want to go to?

UConn, Stonybrook, Maryland, Boston, Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Out of that list, I'd have to say Stony Brook. I live in ny, it'd be much easier for me. SB also has a great dental program and is very competitive school. I also thinks its in the top 10 dental schools. Its in Long Island, not far from the the city.

You need to start with at least two acceptance letters...then you get to choose.
oriely+on+fire.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who know about the following dental schools, can you please talk about their quality, facility, education, etc.? Disregarding cost, which is the school you would want to go to?

UConn, Stonybrook, Maryland, Boston, Michigan

Wait till Dec 1st atleast...

But UConn-
1) Small class
2) In state residency from second yr
3) Med school curriculum
4) P/F
5) Decent specialty rate
6) In the middle of a beautiful nowhere- Less distraction

Wait till Dec 1st atleast...

But UConn-
1) Small class
2) In state residency from second yr
3) Med school curriculum
4) P/F
5) Decent specialty rate
6) In the middle of a beautiful nowhere- Less distraction
7) By all accounts, universally hated by every student who enrolls there.

7) By all accounts, universally hated by every student who enrolls there.

I have some friends there and they confessed that even in their second week of classes they feel under pressure and little stressed out as compared to Harvard's environment where I feel is more laid back than my undergrad.
I did hear some negative things about UConn's 3rd and 4th year but nothing as bad as portrayed by aphistis that i know of.

I have known dozens of UConn SODM alums with nothing but good things to say. It's a well regarded school. I am instate so I have a bias but I serious contemplated the BS/DMD out of there.

My biased vote is for Maryland. Only drawback is that you will have to change your user name to dentisttobeDDS.... doesn't quite have the same ring as DMD.

Hup

How much of that UConn stuff is true? I am really seriously considering it, and much of the posting seemed to be conjecture.

If it's on the internet, it must be true. Unhappy people seem to line the halls at any dental school. However, UConn seems to have quite a few unhappy people with time to spend on the web.

Paranoia seems to affect almost every dental student to some degree or another- "prof Z will fail me in clinic because she knows I hate her" or "prof y doesn't like me an is going to give me a poor grade on the evaluation." However, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.