Which dental schools to apply too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel dust

Pre-Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a post about it in the forum somewhere a couple days ago. But I can't seem to find it now. Someone had done a post regarding the school in which they had picked and had similar stats to mine, as wells similar schools. anyways the list i have compiled so far:

ASDOH
BU
Case
Creighton
NYU
NOVA
Stony Brook
Temple
tufts
UConn
Maryland
UMDNJ
Pitts
VCU

2.9 undergrad 3.0 masters taking the DAT sometime at the end of june or july
have 7 years dental assistant experience, and a radiology license. over 30 hrs of shadowing, and i think thats pretty much it. Let me know what you guys think, about adding a school or removing one. thanx much :)

Members don't see this ad.

I found a post about it in the forum somewhere a couple days ago. But I can't seem to find it now. Someone had done a post regarding the school in which they had picked and had similar stats to mine, as wells similar schools. anyways the list i have compiled so far:

ASDOH
BU
Case
Creighton
NYU
NOVA
Stony Brook
Temple
tufts
UConn
Maryland
UMDNJ
Pitts
VCU

have 7 years dental assistant experience, and a radiology license. over 30 hrs of shadowing, and i think thats pretty much it. Let me know what you guys think, about adding a school or removing one. thanx much :)
have you thought about Meharry & IU? just a suggestion...

it's hard to give advice since you don't have DAT scores yet.

what state are you claiming residency to? i suggest only applying to the state school you have residency to b/c to be honest your stats are Low. a 2.9 undergrad GPA can be somewhat offset by a high graduate GPA, but in your case that is low too. i would definitely add Indiana to your list, plus Meharry and Howard (especially if your race/ethnicity is underrepresented in the dental community)...

use your low stats as motivation to rock the DAT. your DAT score is going to play a HUGE role in your application since your GPA is below average.

best of luck to you, jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My state of residency is New Jersey, and I'm only partially done with the masters, still have about 6 classes to finish. so there's a good possibility my graduate GPA is going to rise. I took the DAT once but the scores have expired as its been two years since i last took them. I'm planning on rocking the DAT as many have so suggested, but its hard to tell right now where i stand as i haven't taken any practice tests yet. I'll probably take some soon.

I thought Meharry was for those minority underrepresented in the dental community? I think there are plenty Indians (my ethnicity) in the dental community personally.

I'm guessing you've searched on predents.com, and if you haven't, they have a useful ranking tool of the schools based on average acceptance GPA, DAT scores, etc. Also, make sure you meet all the requirements of each school!

Word of advice: Your dental assisting years would technically count as shadowing hours. I would bump that 30 hours up to 4000 hours or whatever.

ASDOH
BU
Case
Creighton
NYU
NOVA
Stony Brook
Temple
tufts
UConn
Maryland
UMDNJ
Pitts
VCU

My state of residency is New Jersey, and I'm only partially done with the masters, still have about 6 classes to finish. so there's a good possibility my graduate GPA is going to rise. I took the DAT once but the scores have expired as its been two years since i last took them. I'm planning on rocking the DAT as many have so suggested, but its hard to tell right now where i stand as i haven't taken any practice tests yet. I'll probably take some soon.

I thought Meharry was for those minority underrepresented in the dental community? I think there are plenty Indians (my ethnicity) in the dental community personally.
Howard is for minority definitely..thats y I am not applying there. But i didnt know Meharry is for minority as well...I am an indian too...lol yea true we don't count as minority in this field any more

No one answered my question above....does any1 know if Meharry is strictly for minorities like Howard?

thanks i would really appreciate some feedback! because I am thinking of applying to Meharry

Statistically some non-URM do get into Meharry. However, the mission of the school is to produce skilled URM dentists. If you are URM, it might be the place for you. If you are not URM then it might be pretty difficult to get in.

I think I read somewhere that Howard actually does accept a good number of Asians and other minorities but that Meharry does not (or very rarely does). I have a friend that goes to Meharry Med school though and he says there are other minorities there as well.

Ok, so your GPA isn't terrific (it could be worse) and you acknowledge that. There are plenty of things you can do to help yourself get into a program that suits you. Unfortunately, nothing is a guarantee especially now with such a large pool of competitive applicants. You probably need to raise that graduate GPA. I didn't have a great undergrad GPA and I was told my 3.6 GPA in the neuroimmunology field along with research helped my application.

I would study REAL hard for the DAT and perform very well as the previous posters stated. Also, if you are planning on applying next cycle get an LOR from the dentist you are observing with. In my case, I wanted to go to VCU above the others. I contacted the person who VCU had listed as their contact, and expressed my interest in their program as well as asked how to improve my chances of gaining acceptance to their DDS program before the application cycle even began. Good luck. That may not work for everyone but something worked for me. I received my accept. from them Dec. 1.

I wouldn't waste your time applying to either Meharry or Howard if I were you. The lower stats are deceiving as others have posted. Check out this site:
http://www.adea.org/Resources/OG/OG_3_WhereToApply.pdf

Last DAT I took had a AA15 TS14 PAT19. so anything I do now with all that i've gained over the past two years would definitely blow that score out of the park now. i think having a stellar personal statement wouldn't hurt either. no?

The personal statement would help if the adcoms made it past the numbers i guess.