Which DO Schools Require Attendance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ViciousNarwhal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all! I'm currently creating my medical school list and I want to know which DO schools have mandatory attendance for lectures and such.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM-GA I think has like an 80% class attendance rule. That’s the only school I interviewed at which an attendance rule was mentioned

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think mandatory attendance is going to survive Covid19. Many schools are returning to hybrid curriculum this fall and will probably continue in the future once schools see how effective it is and how many fewer faculty are required.

Reactions: 2 users
I dont think mandatory attendance is going to survive Covid19. Many schools are returning to hybrid curriculum this fall and will probably continue in the future once schools see how effective it is and how many fewer faculty are required.

At least something good is coming out of this tragedy

TBL/PBL should be done virtually too

ACOM has a 60% attendance policy on lectures, but the curriculum committee is debating getting rid of the attendance requirement

They're adjusting the 60% requirement.

They are? That would be glorious!
Yeah I spoke to Mr Willis. They haven't decided exactly what they're gonna do but they are gonna adjust it

Yeah I spoke to Mr Willis. They haven't decided exactly what they're gonna do but they are gonna adjust it
Anything less would be awesome and hopefully they keep the changes

Reactions: 1 users
On average how often are folks in a classroom on campus at most schools? I'm coming from undergrad and other professional schools where attendance was always expected, so I'm trying to wrap my head around attendance expectations/norms etc.....

Pcom ga is no longer mandatory attendance fyi
Really? At my interview this past fall, they had a 80% attendance policy. Hopefully ACOM follows suit

Reactions: 1 users
KYCOM has mandatory attendance for the first semester in all classes, then it’s Not required second semester and beyond, besides a few exceptions.

Really? At my interview this past fall, they had a 80% attendance policy. Hopefully ACOM follows suit

They changed it this past april and from here on out which really surprised me. One of the few, if any, positives coming out of all these curriculum changes.

Touro-NY (both campuses) has in-person clicker question sessions instead of lectures, and they’re graded, so attendance is only optional if you’re willing to take a hit in your GPA/rank.

On average how often are folks in a classroom on campus at most schools? I'm coming from undergrad and other professional schools where attendance was always expected, so I'm trying to wrap my head around attendance expectations/norms etc.....

I went to an undergrad/grad school with mandatory attendance. Going to med school and seeing 30% of the class show up after the first couple of exams was a shock to the system, lol.

Quite often we'd have people show up for mandatory lectures (we only had a few of those a week) that I had literally never seen before. Or I'd sit next to someone on exam day that I had never met. We don't have a huge class (150-160), so that was odd.

I went to an undergrad/grad school with mandatory attendance. Going to med school and seeing 30% of the class show up after the first couple of exams was a shock to the system, lol.

Quite often we'd have people show up for mandatory lectures (we only had a few of those a week) that I had literally never seen before. Or I'd sit next to someone on exam day that I had never met. We don't have a huge class (150-160), so that was odd.
I personally don't see a point in paying that much tuition and not attending lectures. You might as well get your money's worth by asking the professor some hard-hitting questions or clarifications.

I personally don't see a point in paying that much tuition and not attending lectures. You might as well get your money's worth by asking the professor some hard-hitting questions or clarifications.

I felt that way too at first, but now I feel like a large amount of time is wasted in class. I often don't think of clarifying or hard-hitting questions until after I've had time to process the lectures, so I'm better off going to office hours or e-mailing to get my questions answered. If a question asked in class leads to a long aside it's time wasted, when I can fast forward through those moments at home using lecture capture. I can also pause and take breaks when I want to, I don't have to wait in line to use to the bathrooms or microwaves at my own apartment, and I have found that I can get through the day's lectures more efficiently at home and move on to prepping for exams. But to each his/her own!

I felt that way too at first, but now I feel like a large amount of time is wasted in class. I often don't think of clarifying or hard-hitting questions until after I've had time to process the lectures, so I'm better off going to office hours or e-mailing to get my questions answered. If a question asked in class leads to a long aside it's time wasted, when I can fast forward through those moments at home using lecture capture. I can also pause and take breaks when I want to, I don't have to wait in line to use to the bathrooms or microwaves at my own apartment, and I have found that I can get through the day's lectures more efficiently at home and move on to prepping for exams. But to each his/her own!
This! It’s all about efficiency especially when there’s so much material to digest