• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Which DO Schools Require Attendance?

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
HI all! I'm currently creating my medical school list and I want to know which DO schools have mandatory attendance for lectures and such.
LECOM
CUSOM
UIW???

Tons of schools have mandatory TBL or PBL sessions, including mine.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

drducky.

2+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I dont think mandatory attendance is going to survive Covid19. Many schools are returning to hybrid curriculum this fall and will probably continue in the future once schools see how effective it is and how many fewer faculty are required.

At least something good is coming out of this tragedy

TBL/PBL should be done virtually too

Led man123

Apr 16, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
On average how often are folks in a classroom on campus at most schools? I'm coming from undergrad and other professional schools where attendance was always expected, so I'm trying to wrap my head around attendance expectations/norms etc.....

D

deleted1005514

On average how often are folks in a classroom on campus at most schools? I'm coming from undergrad and other professional schools where attendance was always expected, so I'm trying to wrap my head around attendance expectations/norms etc.....

I went to an undergrad/grad school with mandatory attendance. Going to med school and seeing 30% of the class show up after the first couple of exams was a shock to the system, lol.

Quite often we'd have people show up for mandatory lectures (we only had a few of those a week) that I had literally never seen before. Or I'd sit next to someone on exam day that I had never met. We don't have a huge class (150-160), so that was odd.

D

deleted1044561

I went to an undergrad/grad school with mandatory attendance. Going to med school and seeing 30% of the class show up after the first couple of exams was a shock to the system, lol.

Quite often we'd have people show up for mandatory lectures (we only had a few of those a week) that I had literally never seen before. Or I'd sit next to someone on exam day that I had never met. We don't have a huge class (150-160), so that was odd.
I personally don't see a point in paying that much tuition and not attending lectures. You might as well get your money's worth by asking the professor some hard-hitting questions or clarifications.

D

deleted1005514

I personally don't see a point in paying that much tuition and not attending lectures. You might as well get your money's worth by asking the professor some hard-hitting questions or clarifications.

I felt that way too at first, but now I feel like a large amount of time is wasted in class. I often don't think of clarifying or hard-hitting questions until after I've had time to process the lectures, so I'm better off going to office hours or e-mailing to get my questions answered. If a question asked in class leads to a long aside it's time wasted, when I can fast forward through those moments at home using lecture capture. I can also pause and take breaks when I want to, I don't have to wait in line to use to the bathrooms or microwaves at my own apartment, and I have found that I can get through the day's lectures more efficiently at home and move on to prepping for exams. But to each his/her own!

Reactions: 1 user

Iux

2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I felt that way too at first, but now I feel like a large amount of time is wasted in class. I often don't think of clarifying or hard-hitting questions until after I've had time to process the lectures, so I'm better off going to office hours or e-mailing to get my questions answered. If a question asked in class leads to a long aside it's time wasted, when I can fast forward through those moments at home using lecture capture. I can also pause and take breaks when I want to, I don't have to wait in line to use to the bathrooms or microwaves at my own apartment, and I have found that I can get through the day's lectures more efficiently at home and move on to prepping for exams. But to each his/her own!
This! It’s all about efficiency especially when there’s so much material to digest

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.