Which EKG Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeryRA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which EKG book is the most appropriate for med students. I know "Rapid Interpretation of EKGs" is a popular one and I've also heard good things about "The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need." Any feedback would be appreciated on which one might be better to purchase.

Members don't see this ad.

Either of the two you mentioned are good books. I'd get which ever you feel most comfortable with. Read through it once or twice during year 2, and then again on your medicine clerkship, and then again early in your sub-in and you'll likely be a rock star.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wrapping up a Cardio rotation and my attending swears by Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG's.

In fact, he refused to even attempt to explain much about EKG's or let me attempt to read them until I finished the book.

The book is a quick easy read, I finished it over a weekend with numerous breaks to go to my alma mater's homecoming and help take a dock out as well as 10 hours of driving total.

It also has a great quick reference guide at the end to review.

By the time I finished the book, I was reading EKG's with about 80% accuracy including picking up an MI the pt didn't know he had endured.

I used The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need and thought it was awesome. which ever book you use i dont think it makes any difference. At my school they have listed both on the book list and for us to pick whichever we choose. I know people who used the Dubin book and they felt equally comfortable. The Dubin book is in color and is more of a work book while The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need i think gives u questions at the end of the chapter. Essentially my opinion is : it makes no difference. (if u plan on keeping it in your white coat - go with the dubin one since its not as wide, but i dont think u need to keep it on u at all times, one or two read thru's should be enough)

Good Luck

I used The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need and thought it was awesome.

personally, I laugh at the moniker "the only EKG book you'll ever need" everytime I hear that. The truth is, it's the only EKG book you'll ever need, if you only plan on reading rythm strips for the rest of your life. It's a good basis and a good book, but I prefer another book which was recommended to me here on SDN and I went and bought it. 12 Leak EKG: the art of interp it covers all the basics like Dubin, but it also goes into criteria for more complex ryths and bundle branch blocks, criteria for LVH, etc, etc, and it uses for 12 lead EKGs to teach. This is the book I've learned the most from, and from there, I dig through medical library book sales and have come up with several books which are just rythems you look at and interpret with the answers in the back.

I suggest Marriott's Practical Electrocardiography. I think this is an easy-to-read book because it teaches you how to interpret ECGs not how to understand the technics. After reading, hypertrophy, MI, BBB, A-V block and even rather hard arrhythmias are not problems to me anymore. However, to my opinion, to become a master of ECG is reading as many ECGs as you can. Every book just gives you the start; after that you have to go by yourselves. Hope you will enjoy ECG.