waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
Status
I heard Ferri's is a great resource to have for rotations. Seems like there are 3 different Ferri's books...I'm not quite sure what the difference is between all 3 except for the difference in price and the amount of pages each contains, since it seems like all 3 have differentials in them.

Which one would be the best to get?

-Practical Guide to the Care of Medical Patient
-Ferri's Differental Diagnosis
-Ferri's Clinical Advisor

analgold09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2007
Status
You want "Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient."

In a word, this handbook is thorough. It's a bit hefty for the coat pocket and rather poorly constructed, but I found that it was an incredible resource for MS3s on the medicine clerkship. It provided thorough background for each topic, along with key diagnostic studies and treatment. There is a list in the front of ddx for common complaints (less impressive, though), a brief guide to procedures in the appendix, as well as a brief section on Lab results with interpretation and suggested dx. I own this book, along with the red book and wash manual, both of which I received as drug gifts. There are less references to studies than in the Red Book, but what Ferri lacks in EBM, he more than compensates in breadth and depth of topics explored. During rounds or morning report -- when there was no access to up-to-date -- what other students could not find in the red book, I found in Ferri's.

About the Ads