Which for Which?!

MElSorady

Jul 9, 2009
  1. Post Doc
Dear Colleagues,

I have a friend of mind who is doing now an observership in U.S. He is done from USMLE step 1 and 2, but didn't apply for the match as he would like to get a research fellowship to help him better getting high chances of getting a university hospital surgery match. In fact, he needs to do CT surgery and he got 2 ''potential'' chances in 2 ''famous'' hospitals. One research in CT surgery and the other in minimally invasive vascular surgery. However, one in a really good city, in terms of recreation, and the other in a small ''dead'' one. He asked me couple questions that I would like to review with you please:

1: What he should go with, the ''well known'' hospital at expense of being in a small ''dead city''? or to less famous ''yet famous'' university hospital in a well know big city'' and why?

2: He won't would like to apply for 2011 surgery match, and that time he will be 5 years from graduation. So, is it better for him to apply this year without research, publications, presentations,,,etc, or get these privileges and apply 2011 match? I mean which is more important, years since graduation or research experience, in terms of acceptance to G. surgery then CT surgery later ?

Thanks in advance.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.