which GPA is more important?

Started by balance
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

balance

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if there is a significant difference between Overall GPA and Science GPA for the dental school admission? Which one is more important?
Also, Is there any other subjects but (bio, o-chem and g-chem, physics) included in Science GPA? For example, other upper division classes.

Thanks
 
Different schools weigh factors in different ways. If you look one of the pre-dental books, not sure which one, it has a table ranking each school on a scale of 1 to9 of what they think is important. I'm not sure about how valid that table is.

I think taking hard science courses and getting a good GPA is something schools respect more than taking music voice lessons and ballet and getting A's in those courses.

Jessica
 
I have the book you are speaking about, its Barron's Guide to medical and dental schools, its a pretty good book with a lot of useful information on each dental school in the US and Canada, among other stuff