Which GPAs does Dental School look at? BCP, Science, Non-Science, and Total?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothhornet88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering, because aadsas calculated my GPA as BCP, Science, Non-Science, and Total. So Im just curious! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, this is the order of priority:

1) BCP
2) Science
3) Overall
4) Non-science (around the same level of importance as an intramural sport in the ECs section)

They look at all of them but some focus more on sGPA, some cGPA, and some highly value BCP. But it all depends on the school. :) I have a 2.97 BCP (no +/-), but I miraculously managed 2 interviews so far (the power of prayer! :)) ...so I guess some schools value cGPA/sGPA combination more than others schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
They look at all of them but some focus more on sGPA, some cGPA, and some highly value BCP. But it all depends on the school. :) I have a 2.97 BCP (no +/-), but I miraculously managed 2 interviews so far (the power of prayer! :)) ...so I guess some schools value cGPA/sGPA combination more than others schools.

wow thank you for encouratement cuz my BCP (no +/-) is 3.02 so I am very worried! and Im heavily relying on scoring well on my DAT

wow thank you for encouratement cuz my BCP (no +/-) is 3.02 so I am very worried! and Im heavily relying on scoring well on my DAT

I was very worried about my BCP since mine was below a 3.00... yours is above a 3.00 so that's good! But remember, schools look at other parts of the application also and they are just as important :) Try to focus primarily on your DAT studies for now and score well on them. What helped me ease my application worries is my realization that it's a waste of time to worry about things that cannot be changed at the present time such as GPAs. Focus on what can be changed (DAT, volunteer work, etc...). In your case, you can still do very well on your DAT, so study hard! And Good luck!! :)

I was very worried about my BCP since mine was below a 3.00... yours is above a 3.00 so that's good! But remember, schools look at other parts of the application also and they are just as important :) Try to focus primarily on your DAT studies for now and score well on them. What helped me ease my application worries is my realization that it's a waste of time to worry about things that cannot be changed at the present time such as GPAs. Focus on what can be changed (DAT, volunteer work, etc...). In your case, you can still do very well on your DAT, so study hard! And Good luck!! :)

thank you I sure will :) and God bless you with everything as well!