Which hard copy journal to subscribe to as resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEPsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting residency next year, throughout medschool I've gotten JAMA mailed to me for free and like skimming through the abstracts while eating breakfast or watching tv. Was curious which psych journal I should add?

Seems like it would be JAMA psych/archives vs American journal of psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

You would get the green journal for free because most programs would pay for your APA membership during residency.
Not quite true...some might, but probably not "most". But I do believe that the first year you join APA as a resident is free, and subsequent years are quite heavily discounted for residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not quite true...some might, but probably not "most". But I do believe that the first year you join APA as a resident is free, and subsequent years are quite heavily discounted for residents.

Thank you. I did not know that.

In that case, I like Current Psychiatry. Much better suited for light reading while having breakfast or watching TV IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Curent Psychiatry (the editor-in-chief is my boss, Henry Nasrallah), is available I believe online for free. It's a great journal for residents, new attendings, or even experienced attendings that want articles that are for the most part very practical, light, or interesting food for thought.

Several programs get the residents that journal for free. I don't know exactly how this is done. I just knew that I and a heck of a lot of people I knew got it for free without even requesting it. (Pharm sponsorship?).

As a resident I paid for Journalwatch. For 1 price you get the whole site (I think it may have been $50 or $60 as a resident?).

I'd find something interesting, highlight it, and then when I was at the hospital could look up many of the actual articles through the hospital site-license.

It also gave me a good resource of articles to look at for Journal clubs.

I got the green journal for free (free apa resident membership), PLUS the hospital had a site license. Also if you have VA training in your program, I've found every VA I've ever been in seems to have a site license for Psychiatry Online and some others.

They were all free in our medical library so I didn't pay until I was out.