• Total voters

mefistofel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Brooklyn/NY
Visit site
Status
I have got several invitations and some waiting lists. However, I'm trying to decide which ones would be the schools with a high priority. I tried checking couple of places for school ratings, but could not find anything interesting. Any idea of where I could get that sort of information?

1. Albert Einshtein
2. St Louis
3. Drexel
4. Ohio State
5. Tulate
6. Rosalind Franklin
7. SUNY Downstate

teh-t

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status
SLU and Tulane are excellent schools.
Ohio state needs another 5-10 years of strong investment and development to bring it up to the top tier

teh-t

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status
dont rely on a rating system. examine the strengths and weaknesses of each program in terms of your interest as a future physician - at least that is what i am doing

mercaptovizadeh

ἀλώπηξ
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Albert Einstein may not be ranked very high right now, but from my experience, talking to physicians, it seems to have the best research reputation of the schools. I can't talk about the other schools, but it seems that downstate would give you a good clinical experience - Kings county hospital and all.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I suppose it is "Tulate" to fix the mistake in your poll. ;) :D

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
UCLAstudent said:
:thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup:

Took me a while to figure out, but LOL!

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
UCLAstudent said:
:laugh: :laugh:

UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
la
Status
the best school is the one that you will be the most comfortable and happiest studying medicine during the next four years of your life, for some people that satisfaction unfortunately comes from knowing that they are attending a highly ranked school, and while for others it depends on things like proximity to home, climate, cost, education, and the actual city they are in
i suggest you take into consideration a combination of these factors and weigh them according to you own personal preferences and decide what you want, not what US News says you should want.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
I interviewed at SLU Tulane & Drexel in my opinion of these 3 SLU was the best. SLU's facilities are top notch and the students and faculty I met were receptive and enthusiastic about being at SLU. I know Tulane is a great school; I just got a better vibe all around from SLU's students and facilities. But as the UCLAreject pointed out, to each his own. :)

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Homer Doughnuts said:
SLU's facilities are top notch and the students and faculty I met were receptive and enthusiastic about being at SLU.

I had a very different experience. I didn't like SLU at all.
teh-t said:
SLU and Tulane are excellent schools.
Ohio state needs another 5-10 years of strong investment and development to bring it up to the top tier
Don't fool yourself into thinking SLU is top tier. They have had problems passing Step 1 in the past. I believe it will be some time before they are ranked (top 50) by any reputable source.

OSU, however, seemed to be more on the rise. Teaching facilities could use a boost, but the new hospitals are definitely top notch. Also cheap if you are an out-of-stater (after first year, or before if you are married to a working woman).

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
UCLAstudent said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i almost chocked on my water when i read that :thumbup:

VFrank

Wildcat
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i almost chocked on my water when i read that :thumbup:
choked?

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
patzan said:
I had a very different experience. I didn't like SLU at all.

Don't fool yourself into thinking SLU is top tier. They have had problems passing Step 1 in the past. I believe it will be some time before they are ranked (top 50) by any reputable source.

OSU, however, seemed to be more on the rise. Teaching facilities could use a boost, but the new hospitals are definitely top notch. Also cheap if you are an out-of-stater (after first year, or before if you are married to a working woman).
While I agree that the OP should not fool himself into thinking SLU is top tier, none of the schools listed are! I found myself somewhere in the middle of the two of your opinions about SLU. I liked SLU, but of all the schools I interviewed at, its facilities and hospital were the worst by a good margin. I'm not saying they were bad, but comparitively they were not good.

Homer Doughnuts

Homer Doughnuts
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
The Lou
Status
YzIa said:
While I agree that the OP should not fool himself into thinking SLU is top tier, none of the schools listed are! I found myself somewhere in the middle of the two of your opinions about SLU. I liked SLU, but of all the schools I interviewed at, its facilities and hospital were the worst by a good margin. I'm not saying they were bad, but comparitively they were not good.

Look people, I never said SLU was top tier I simply said their facilities were top notch (ie. I thought they were good). I think it’s stupid that the majority of people on SDN feel the need to have a rank and file list of medical schools so they can toot their horns at everyone else. I don’t mean any offense to you YzIa I just don’t get why people can’t be happy with being in a F*ing medical school. If an individuals ego is so fragile that it must be supplemented by a methodologically flawed ranking such as US News and World report then I pity them. :mad:

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Homer Doughnuts said:
Look people, I never said SLU was top tier I simply said their facilities were top notch (ie. I thought they were good). I think it’s stupid that the majority of people on SDN feel the need to have a rank and file list of medical schools so they can toot their horns at everyone else. I don’t mean any offense to you YzIa I just don’t get why people can’t be happy with being in a F*ing medical school. If an individuals ego is so fragile that it must be supplemented by a methodologically flawed ranking such as US News and World report then I pity them. :mad:
No offense taken, those comments were directed towards the previous post not to you.

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
mefistofel said:
1. Albert Einshtein
tee hee. not to pick on another spelling mistake, but say this one out loud. so schleppy.

by the way, i think albert einstein is a great school, as are all the ones you've chosen. pick which one you felt was right for you.

chumpana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
I tend to agree with Einstein too. From my visit, the students were really happy, housing is cheap and right next to the school, and the research opportunities and clinical exposure (free clinic where you can volunteer!) seemed really great!

VFrank said:
if you meant can you choke on water? oh yes! I must be really skilled b/c i've choked on all sorts of drinks, including water and even air :p