Which is better: VCU or MCV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which name do you think represents the program in a more positive way?

• Medical College of Virginia (MCV)

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)

Votes: 37 50.0%

• Total voters
What is the difference between VCU undergrad and MCV undergrad?

gotta pay the troll toll to get into the boysole

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha.... At the risk of giving away my identity, I was talking with some VIPs recently, including a bunch of very influential physicians, and they were all quite adamant about our school being MCV. It was really kind of funny. Those who had graduated from MCV/VCU were especially fierce in their opinions. Those who had simply had interactions with the school were less fierce but nonetheless seemed to stand for its traditional identity. They also noted it is, by VA statute, MCV.
Are you a president? I am impressed by this VIP access. It makes me want to come to this school more to be with influential people.

Members don't see this ad :)
More importantly someone needs to "wtf" at the M1s that think they are significant enough to change institution names. Also wtf to those that make up stories on forums about how they talk to "VIPs" that got better stuff to do than talk to irrelevant preclinical year students. .

a student was killed near the undergraduate campus in late 2012. Richmond has a vicious history (going beyond the 1970s) resulting in the education, legal, and health disparities seen today. It's an environment that most med school applicants (white, privileged) are uncomfortable with and avoid (rather than doing anything to help), which reflects american culture in general

Yes, a student was killed at VCU in 2012, on the highway, every student got an email whenever something terrible like that happened. No student was shot though. The city is a rough place, every city is. If you're careful and pay attention to your surroundings you'll be fine, unless you're really unlucky. You have to understand any big city has some risk associated with living there. VCU/MCV is a fun campus, I have many friends associated with both parts of the school. The undergraduate campus is admittedly not as great as they come, but it's generally better than most of the hundreds of UG campuses in the US. MCV also pulls up most biology related majors. Competition starts in the gen. ed. classes, so even if you're not pre-med you gotta work for it. Also, the guy who was talking about MCV grave robbing to teach med students, that was in the 1800s, the man chris baker knew more about anatomy than most med students at the time, that era had a lot of superstition and religious persecution of medicine so they weren't too helpful in training doctors(not that that justifies the grave robbing in any way shape or form) and VCU offers a class that includes the grave robbing in the curriculum so it's not like they're hiding their history. The college as a whole may be a bit lacking, but the MCV campus produces many knowledgeable graduates and successful doctors. Two of my physicians growing up in NOVA are VCU grads. That's also a bit racist, I know plenty of white and privileged kids who are some of the dumbest people I've ever met and would never be able to comprehend the most basic notes of any med student at VCU. If you're smart, you make the best of the hand you're dealt. Good luck to anyone pursuing a health profession.

More importantly someone needs to "wtf" at the M1s that think they are significant enough to change institution names. Also wtf to those that make up stories on forums about how they talk to "VIPs" that got better stuff to do than talk to irrelevant preclinical year students. .

Fiiiine... :rolleyes:

I'm simply supporting something that our administration is pushing. I don't expect that my voice means much but added to a chorus of several thousand voices, we add up. As of now, over 90% of the medical student body has responded affirmatively to push back on the name issue. Other schools on the campus have as well and there have been ongoing meetings of the deans and assoc. deans of the schools to figure out how to present this to the upper administration.

When I said VIPs, I was referring to physicians in state-level office. It's come up in conversation with them. They actually brought up the issue. (We are across the street from the state Capitol after all... news travels fast. And we tend to have a high amount of interaction with VA politicians.) A few days ago, it was suggested we propose a political resolution and get it pushed through to the legislature. Personally, I think that would be quite excessive, but the suggestion was made by someone in some authority. (To clarify, I will let someone else fight that battle. I have no desire to go that far.) No need to make up stories. These things happen. I personally would not want to take it to that level but conversations do happen, in part b/c those people DO enjoy relating to medical students, even those in their pre-clinical years.

Fiiiine... :rolleyes:

I'm simply supporting something that our administration is pushing. I don't expect that my voice means much but added to a chorus of several thousand voices, we add up. As of now, over 90% of the medical student body has responded affirmatively to push back on the name issue. Other schools on the campus have as well and there have been ongoing meetings of the deans and assoc. deans of the schools to figure out how to present this to the upper administration.

When I said VIPs, I was referring to physicians in state-level office. It's come up in conversation with them. They actually brought up the issue. (We are across the street from the state Capitol after all... news travels fast. And we tend to have a high amount of interaction with VA politicians.) A few days ago, it was suggested we propose a political resolution and get it pushed through to the legislature. Personally, I think that would be quite excessive, but the suggestion was made by someone in some authority. (To clarify, I will let someone else fight that battle. I have no desire to go that far.) No need to make up stories. These things happen. I personally would not want to take it to that level but conversations do happen, in part b/c those people DO enjoy relating to medical students, even those in their pre-clinical years.
Preach! Individually we [you guys at MCV/VCU] are weak, like a single twig, but as a bundle we form a mighty ******
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqBsU1JeE0

I've lived in Richmond my whole life, and I would have to say MCV. People around central VA know MCV as a great med school and hospital. When I think of VCU, I think of that place where a lot of not so smart people from my high school went. Obviously there are exceptions and I know some bright kids that went there but as a generalization VCU = meh.

I'm in the same boat. I grew up in Richmond VA, and think of "VCU" as a "meh state school" with a couple decent programs (mainly art). "MCV" in my mind is a perfectly respectable medical school.

I'm finding it interesting to see that, farther away, the opinion is VCU>MCV. I guess the recent basketball success has been positive. XD

Success!

MCV will be back on our diplomas. They're not renaming the system to MCV, but the fact that they are recognizing our education as being MCV is great in itself.