Which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which program is better: one that is one year long or one that is two years long?

I just graduated with a BS in MSE and was wondering what would be better for a recent graduate.

Thanks,

SP

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends a lot on what you want out of the program, your time and geographic considerations, finances, funding, etc.

One-year programs tend to be more intense and give you less time for electives and research experience, but they also tend to cost less and get you on your way quicker.

Two-year programs are good if you want to build up additional background and research credentials (e.g. for applying to a PhD program without other degrees). They can be nice if you are still getting an idea of the options open to you since you won't have to apply for jobs in your first few months in the program.

Keep in mind that some one-year programs or tracks are only open to people who have extensive experience or higher degrees already, although it varies a lot from school to school.

MSE = materials science engineering? Or something else?

Hope this helps.

I agree with the previous poster, in that you need to define your goals--and find the program where those goals are met.

Consider this: In my experience, people benefit greatly from networking in the public health industry. Some of my colleagues got their professional start by using a connection provided to them by faculty. An extra year gives you more time to develop contacts that can often be very helpful after graduating, so a one-year program may not allow you as many networking opportunities as a two-year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep MSE = Materials Science & Engineering

and thanks for the speedy replies!

hi by the by can you tell me whether it is possible to protract the one year with fewer credits to 1 1/2 to 2 years so that i can do it conveniently. ( I have been admitted to U. minnesota for an accelerated porgram of 1 year.