Which is more favorable for OT schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gialuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between two opportunities for the Fall '09 semester. I'm gonna be an undergrad Junior in the Fall and I want to volunteer at a hospital. But I also want to do research in an anthropology genetics lab, helping a professor research whatever he's doing it on. I applied for the research position, but I'm not sure if I'll get it. The lab requires me to do 20 hours a week. The hospital requires 150 hours in a 6-month period.

My schedule for next term won't allow me to do both. I'm planning to take Anatomy and Physiology, Human Evolutionary Genetics, Evolution and Behavior, and Chinese 101 (I don't speak a lick of mandarin).

So which extracurricular activity will be more favored by OT schools? Unpaid research or volunteering in a hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm stuck between two opportunities for the Fall '09 semester. I'm gonna be an undergrad Junior in the Fall and I want to volunteer at a hospital. But I also want to do research in an anthropology genetics lab, helping a professor research whatever he's doing it on. I applied for the research position, but I'm not sure if I'll get it. The lab requires me to do 20 hours a week. The hospital requires 150 hours in a 6-month period.

My schedule for next term won't allow me to do both. I'm planning to take Anatomy and Physiology, Human Evolutionary Genetics, Evolution and Behavior, and Chinese 101 (I don't speak a lick of mandarin).

So which extracurricular activity will be more favored by OT schools? Unpaid research or volunteering in a hospital?

hi
yeah your kind of got yours hands full there. Honestly OT schools dont care if you did research in Anthropology or any other field for that matter other than OT. I was doing research in an Organic chemistry lab for about 6 months. When I went for my interview my interviewer was not even interested in my lab work. The only good thing I got of lab work was a very lengthy and strong recommendation. So OT school does prefer you do hosptital volunteer work as much as possible, but if you can squeeze in the lab also that it wouldnt hurt. good luck

is 'next term' the fall of 09?
start taking rosetta stone or something to get a head start.

wether the teacher says it or not.. the A and P coloring book is a great way to get this stuff into your long term memory.

The hospital sounds kind of regimented in what they want although it does break down to 6.25 hours a week average.. is 150 hours what an OT school told you, cause if not maybe find another hospital.

either way .. if OT doesnt work out you'll have a bright future writing fortune cookies HAHAHHEHEHEHE HOHOHOHO :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.

superCOTA, I meant the Fall of '09. I tried Rosetta Stone for like 2 days and I forgot most of the pronunciation as soon as I turned off the program :laugh:. The good thing is that I know how to read and write a bit in Chinese. I just don't know how to speak mandarin (but I do speak cantonese).

The schools that I'm interested in didn't specify the number of hours they want, but I wanna do 100 just to be safe. The hospital itself requires 150 hours. I'd like to go to this one 'cause it's close to my school and it's the Hospital for Special Surgery.

Thanks for suggesting the coloring book. I'm really nervous about this class. There seems like there's so many specific parts to know! I didn't think a mandible was divided into a ramus and whatever other part it has :confused:. A&P itself is a hard subject, but what did you guys think of it?

Haha I guess fortune cookies might be in my near future :smuggrin:.

Thanks for the replies!

The mandible is a somewhat unique joint (3 planes i think).

If you get a doctor to refer his TMJ patients your way for rehab, you'd be doing well. A supervisor I had did that for a while. A PT, actually.

Hospital for Special Surgery is an amazing place from what another student tells me, she did her OT asst fieldwork there. You can pick up a lot of experience there. Good luck!