Which is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnz451

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are applying for a plastics residency after completing 3 years of general surgery how important are your board scores, med school gpa compared to your performance during your surgical residency?

Also does anybody know the approximate % of plastics residents that were accepted after 3 years of g. surgery? (or how difficult this is?)

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying for a plastics residency after completing 3 years of general surgery how important are your board scores, med school gpa compared to your performance during your surgical residency?

Also does anybody know the approximate % of plastics residents that were accepted after 3 years of g. surgery? (or how difficult this is?)

i don't know where such statistics would be made available or published, and i don't think it even matters because it's probably a very low percentage and this sort of thing usually happens only under unique, random circumstances. it's very difficult---just look at how difficult it is to match through the normal integrated and independent pathways.

no one knows except for program directors or the people evaluating the apps whether or not your scores/gpa are important let alone how important they may be. but if you didn't do so hot on your boards and your gpa left a lot to be desired, i don't think it will go unnoticed. if i were a PD i would want to know this information...it's not like it's been that long since you graduated med school and it's objective information that they can use to evaluate your academic performance.

are you hoping to hear one of us say that none of it matters and that good performance during pgy 1-3 years will obscure any less-than-stellar numbers from your ms1-2-3 and -4 years and usmle 1 & 2 scores?

Also, and I don't have any stats on this, I would think you have to REALLY be a stellar candidate to get in after only 3 years of GS. I mean, they are turning down tons of people with 5y GS- I bet it's even harder with only 3. Though it's a moot point since after this year you have to have 5.

I know GS can be rough, but why can't you just stick it out? I think it will make you a better applicant, not to mention a better surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to burst your bubble but the asps came out with new regulations last year eliminating the possibility of applying plastics after 3 years of general surg through the independent match. They require 5 years of training with at least 3 years at the same institution.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the asps came out with new regulations last year eliminating the possibility of applying plastics after 3 years of general surg through the independent match. They require 5 years of training with at least 3 years at the same institution.

:eek: 7-8 years of residency? forget that. can somebody point me to the anesthesiology forum...

:eek: 7-8 years of residency? forget that. can somebody point me to the anesthesiology forum...

Good idea. If you are choosing your field b/c of the length/ease of training, not because you love it, then surgery doesn't want you. Have fun passing gas.

Good idea. If you are choosing your field b/c of the length/ease of training, not because you love it, then surgery doesn't want you. Have fun passing gas.

I knew when I posted that comment in a surgical forum somebody would miss the obvious attempt at humor and respond with an indignant and pretentions comment about "not wanting it enough."

Take it for what it was - humor!!:)

I knew when I posted that comment in a surgical forum somebody would miss the obvious attempt at humor and respond with an indignant and pretentions comment about "not wanting it enough."

Take it for what it was - humor!!:)

Hm. If that is true and you are not just backpedaling, then I apologize. Sarcasm doesn't always come across well in type. :confused:

This isn't completely true. You are allowed to go into plastics early (after your third or fourth year) if you are in a program that has BOTH general and plastic surgery training programs. If so, you can match into the plastics program where you're doing your general training, but no other. It still is a very difficult match and I suggest that you pursue some research with their department EARLY in your general training.

If that applies to you, ask your local plastics program director what he's looking for. If not, good luck with the rest of general surgery!!

:laugh:

I probably shouldn't be posting in this forum but that is hilarious!!:D