Which is worse grade: W or C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilBowWow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh I am so, so screwed. :scared:

So I applied to a few schools and got rejected, which I expected given that I hadn't finished all my prereqs at the time of application and also hadn't acquired enough hours or diversity in my animal experience to make me competitive. The nice part, though, is that I get to show the people who rejected me last year just how much I improved this year.

Problem: I got a C in first-semester physics in the fall, and am now fairly certain that I will be getting a C in organic chemistry this spring.

On the plus side, an A is well within my reach for second-semester physics this spring, so I'm hoping this will neutralize the C from the fall.

But the C in organic could be a train wreck. I'd hate to think that I'm going to destroy my chances to get in next year by screwing up this one class.

I'm planning on taking more upper-division bio classes this summer and fall (and probably next spring, too, though those grades won't count.) I've done well in bio and genetics classes, so I'm fairly confident I can rack up three or four more As that will be seen on my fall applications.

Still, C in organic will look bad. Bad enough to keep me out next time around? I don't know. I'm a little afraid to bring it up with admissions counselors so I thought I'd try here first.

If I drop now, I will have a W on my transcript (and it's organic, so like hell they're going to believe that I had a "legit" reason to drop) and I'll have to take it this summer, meaning I will at most be able to take one upper-level bio course this summer or possibly none at all since summer organic is a full-time job in itself.

Should I suck it up, try for the B (there are no half grades at this school) and stick it out, even if it means taking the C? Are adcoms more forgiving with low organic grades than they would be with, say, a C in Bio 1?

Help, please!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 3.4 graduating from UNH with a C+ in first semester o-chem, a D for the second semester and a C+ for retaking it. I also got a C+ second semester physics. I was accepted to Tufts, which is my state school, on my second try. I was not accepted anywhere else (I didn't apply anywhere else my first try because I missed the common application deadline). Don't lose hope! Your upper-level classes will definitely help.
Try to get some more varied experience and raise your GRE score to offset your grades if necessary. I increased my GRE score 150 points to 1340 and got a menial job working with lab animals after getting rejected the first time. Also, contact the admissions offices to find out why you were rejected if possible. Tufts considers this mandatory if you want to be accepted the next time because otherwise you're not considered "serious."

I had C's in O-chem 1 and 2, and Physics 1 and 2 as well. I hate admitting this fact, but these grades don't define me as a person nor do they define my academic skills... I was just EXTREMELY stupid in my first two years of college!
Since these aren't your first year or two, the schools may not be AS forgiving - but if you have A's in upper level courses, I wouldn't be too horribly worried about it. Bear in mind that it took me 3 years to get in anywhere, and during my off-time I am getting an M.S. in biology (with all my coursework being done by the time I applied last year, I had a 4.0).
So basically, if you have blemishes in your academic record, you just have to make sure you indicate to your schools that you are capable of getting A's in upper level courses. Many schools prefer that you do well in upper-level courses rather than re-take the intro ones.
I would say definitely contact the schools you are applying to in order to get a better idea of where to go from here. Each school will have varying opinions on whether to withdraw and take it over or to do the best you can and then do well in upper-level courses! :)

LilBowWow said:
Oh I am so, so screwed. :scared:

So I applied to a few schools and got rejected, which I expected given that I hadn't finished all my prereqs at the time of application and also hadn't acquired enough hours or diversity in my animal experience to make me competitive. The nice part, though, is that I get to show the people who rejected me last year just how much I improved this year.

Problem: I got a C in first-semester physics in the fall, and am now fairly certain that I will be getting a C in organic chemistry this spring.

On the plus side, an A is well within my reach for second-semester physics this spring, so I'm hoping this will neutralize the C from the fall.

But the C in organic could be a train wreck. I'd hate to think that I'm going to destroy my chances to get in next year by screwing up this one class.

I'm planning on taking more upper-division bio classes this summer and fall (and probably next spring, too, though those grades won't count.) I've done well in bio and genetics classes, so I'm fairly confident I can rack up three or four more As that will be seen on my fall applications.

Still, C in organic will look bad. Bad enough to keep me out next time around? I don't know. I'm a little afraid to bring it up with admissions counselors so I thought I'd try here first.

If I drop now, I will have a W on my transcript (and it's organic, so like hell they're going to believe that I had a "legit" reason to drop) and I'll have to take it this summer, meaning I will at most be able to take one upper-level bio course this summer or possibly none at all since summer organic is a full-time job in itself.

Should I suck it up, try for the B (there are no half grades at this school) and stick it out, even if it means taking the C? Are adcoms more forgiving with low organic grades than they would be with, say, a C in Bio 1?

Help, please!!! :scared:

A few "C" grades will not be enough to keep you out of vet school if you are an otherwise strong applicant so focus on making yourself strong in other areas. Get lots of animal experience, make sure your GRE scores are high even if it means retaking the test, do some volunteer/community service activities.
I am not saying that a scattering of "C" on your transcript is not a significant blemish, but it is not an insurmountable one. It could mean applying a few more times before getting into vet school, but eventually they will see that you are committed. I second the advice to talk to admissions counselors, especially at schools where you will be reapplying.
I'm not really recommending that you drop organic chemistry, however I do think that a "W" followed by an "A" in the summer would probably look better than a "C" now. Probably the best thing you can do is work as hard as you can and see if you can pull off a "B." If you haven't already, you might even consider going and talking to the O-Chem instructor and seeing if he or she has any suggestions on how you can improve your grade.
Good luck!