Medical Which kind of research looks best on a medical school application? Does the type of research even matter that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a pre-med student at a relatively small, lesser-known university that does not have a medical program. I have approximately 4 semesters (including this one) left before I begin applying to medical schools, and I would like to fill that time with as many meaningful research, clinical, and volunteer activities as possible. I've already begun volunteering at my local hospital and I'm currently lined up for a minor role in public health research that is set to begin next week. I don't anticipate receiving any research credit for this project, so I'm wondering whether or not it's even worth it. That leads me to my questions:

First, what kind of research do ADCOMs prefer to see on an application? Biomedical? Health-related? Social? Does the type of research really carry that much significance, or is all research considered equal?

Secondly, how much of an emphasis should I place on research if it's not my primary interest? Of course, I do enjoy reading primary research, and I understand the significance of research in the field of medicine, but I honestly don't see myself conducting any more research than is necessary in my future career.

Lastly, I'm hoping that someone can paint a clear picture of the role that research has throughout undergrad, medical school, residency, and even clinical practice. Does everyone have to do research? At what stages is it necessary? How does research affect one's chances of being accepted to residency or of getting a real job as a physician?

Thank you so much for reading my long-winded post! I hope to get many quality responses.
Different schools will look at research differently, and if you are applying MD/PhD or a research-intensive medical school, then you are better served asking your PI's. "Meaningful" research is in the eye of the beholder or grant-holder, so in your case, it should be something that you have contributed value and that you find important to your education. Medicine is a pretty huge area, and I think you should pick and area that really has meaning to you rather than chase for approval from admissions committees who otherwise don't really care.

Someone has been writing articles about research in medical school on the main forums which hopefully you can find useful. You can also ask these questions in networking with medical students and faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

The research that is productively meaningful for you. Let me give you a small school example. Grinnell College is a well-known, and well-respected college (they do not confer PhDs) in my part of the country. They are well-known for undergraduate instruction, I publicly recommend the Grinnell experience to someone who wants the hardcore liberal arts experience with professors who actually are deeply interested in undergraduate development. But, they do not do much in the way of major funded research. Almost all of their programs are on talent development of the undergraduates:

So, that is bad from the perspective that Grinnell lacks the large scale resources to do R1 research. However, they make it work in their student's favor. The reason I have professional knowledge of Grinnell is that their faculty make it a point to network with us at the R1's, and it is a well-known feeder for the best of the programs at the two R1 institutions in my state as they always come with personal recommendations from faculty that we actually know, deep training in wet (or dry) lab research skills supervised by the faculty themselves, and have a decent understanding of small lab resource issues such that they are much better positioned to deal with the lab funding politics of the big R01 lab empires or with smaller ones while keeping their eye on staying funded.

If you are at a small university that does not have much in the way of funded research, I would urge you to look simultaneously in two places:
1. The student research office where you can figure out interests. My own personal advice is that you need to find a lab that you are willing to work when you are at your worst (whether it is depression, personal issues, etc.) and with people that at minimum that you can unconsciously get along with.

2. The upperclassmen (women) who have similar interests through the clubs and such who would know some of the working experiences better.

But small does not need to necessarily mean insignificant. You can have quite meaningful experiences in small places, but you can also make up for some of the resource constraints by developing better skills and deeper relationships within the environment. Funding cycles and priorities change, but relationship development should be a constant emphasis.

Reminds me that I have a couple of annual fishing trips coming up with some Grinnell faculty. It's not all work (but it is....)

I'm currently lined up for a minor role in public health research that is set to begin next week. I don't anticipate receiving any research credit for this project, so I'm wondering whether or not it's even worth it. That leads me to my questions:

1) First, what kind of research do ADCOMs prefer to see on an application? Biomedical? Health-related? Social? Does the type of research really carry that much significance, or is all research considered equal?

2) Secondly, how much of an emphasis should I place on research if it's not my primary interest? Of course, I do enjoy reading primary research, and I understand the significance of research in the field of medicine, but I honestly don't see myself conducting any more research than is necessary in my future career.

3) Lastly, I'm hoping that someone can paint a clear picture of the role that research has throughout undergrad, medical school, residency, and even clinical practice. Does everyone have to do research? At what stages is it necessary? How does research affect one's chances of being accepted to residency or of getting a real job as a physician?
1) The topic of research doesn't matter at the premed level. What's important is gaining an understanding of the scientific method. So you can engage in Psych, Econ, Linguistic, hard science, health-related, or Public Health research, as you wish. To get a good overview of the project with which you affiliate, ask to read the original grant proposal or IRB application.

2) One term of research involvement will "check the box" so long as you aren't planning to apply to the highly-selective research-oriented med schools. Five to ten hours per week is typical. More than twenty may negatively affect your academics.

3) You don't need research on your application if you plan to apply only to primary-care oriented med schools (and have strength in some other desirable area of endeavor for that school), won't apply to a competitive fellowship, and don't plan an academic career. You do need to understand statistics and the scientific method throughout your career so you can interpret medical literature and incorporate findings into your practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.