Which MCAT score counts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironmansu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering retaking the MCAT, but in the case where I do not improve my score, I was wondering...does the most recent or the highest MCAT score count?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering retaking the MCAT, but in the case where I do not improve my score, I was wondering...does the most recent or the highest MCAT score count?

i think most schools average in the case of multiple MCATs, some take the higher, and some take only the lowest scores. I wonder if the score in question refers to that of each section or to the composite score, hmm.

Most recent depending on the school. If you get a lower score the 2nd time it is pretty much shooting yourself on the foot depending on what you get.

As was mentioned above, how a series of scores will be viewed is going to be school-dependent. Each school will have their own policy, and I'm imagining that there are a number of variations. I don't know all the variants and what the most popular one is going to be, since I'm not an adcom member. However, you can be sure that it won't be a positive thing for there to be a downward trend in your MCAT. Avoid that if you can. If you decide to retake it, do your best to show an improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most schools you apply to will count the most recent. Few will take the highest and even fewer will let you cherry pick your best scores from each section to give you a composite score.

I believe the general concensus on SDN is that they take the most recent. Some schools might average it but you'll have to call and ask to know for sure.