Which MD Program is better for obtaining Radiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtrial82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

I am entering medical school in Fall. Attending which of the following school will be most helpful in gaining a radiology residency.

Ohio State
Miami
Cicinnati
Tampa (USF)
AECOM

A freakin awesome step I will have a greater effect. Go where you like and rock the boards/grades.

peace

It may be a regional bias, because I go to school in the NorthEast, but I think that AECOM is the best school on the list. Narrow it down to places you really liked and then pick the one with the best reputation or in the geographical region in which you'd like to go to residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd keep in mind, your best shot will be at your home school, particularly if you don't happen to smash step 1. I don't think there is a big difference at all in the prestige of those schools; though I would say Ohio St. probably earns a little more than Cincinatti. So, consider location, happiness, you could be there for a while. I don't know anything about AECOM (midwest).

I am in a similar situation, in the case that I rely on my home school for the best chance of a rads residency can you tell me:

Which is considered to have the better radiology residency program?

NYU
Northwestern

thanks

Both are great and very desired programs for sure. Both would allow you great chances outside of their own programs too, but so does a good application from elsewhere though. If you took a poll about which of the two is better you would probably get a decent split, pretty close to 50/50.

The majority deciding between the two would probably just rank based on location and how much they liked the residents, faculty, etc.

It probably makes very little difference which school you go to. However, if one were only concerned with matching into radiology (or some other competitive specialty) then based on the schools listed, I would say that the midwestern schools would give you the best shot. When applying for residency, the midwestern schools tend to be less competitive (solely for reasons of geography) compared to the northeast and west coast. Thus, going to med school in the vicinity will net you more interviews at solid programs in the midwest.

Most important, however, is your performance in medical school. And you will likely perform best at the place where you are happiest. Forget the strategizing... it will lead to more overall disappointment with your experience. Go with the happiness factor.

I don't know but 11 people out of 100 got radiology at Cornell this year at good places. I think it is more of an interest thing though.