Which medical dictionary for Palm Pilot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a palm pilot because I will be an M1 in a few weeks. I want it mainly for organization and maybe put a medical dictionary on it. I plan to upgrade when rotations come around.

The problem is I was planning on buying a Palm Zire 31 (16MB). However, there are several dictionaries out there and some won't fit on it. Stedman's is 16 MB by itself, however Dorland's is only 7 MB. I don't really know which one is better or more useful. I want to avoid buying a hardcover by using the palm version.

Does anybody have any advice on which dictionary to get or if the palm version is as good as the actual book? If I decide to get the Stedman's, I have to buy a better Palm with 32MB, which will cost more $$$.

Thanks in advance,
~Boris

Members don't see this ad.

why dun you buy the palm with the smaller memory and stedman's, and later on when you get a bit of cash buy a huge SD card to increase the memory capacity of your palm.

drboris said:
I am considering buying a palm pilot because I will be an M1 in a few weeks. I want it mainly for organization and maybe put a medical dictionary on it. I plan to upgrade when rotations come around.

The problem is I was planning on buying a Palm Zire 31 (16MB). However, there are several dictionaries out there and some won't fit on it. Stedman's is 16 MB by itself, however Dorland's is only 7 MB. I don't really know which one is better or more useful. I want to avoid buying a hardcover by using the palm version.

Does anybody have any advice on which dictionary to get or if the palm version is as good as the actual book? If I decide to get the Stedman's, I have to buy a better Palm with 32MB, which will cost more $$$.

Thanks in advance,
~Boris

Get a memory card for around $35 or so, and get Steadmans. I have it (on my E with a 256MB memory card) and it's great - I use it all the time for all sorts of things.

You should consider getting a slightly better palm, too - one with more internal memory perhaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree...Stedman's all the way! Plus the previous poster is right, memory cards are cheap. Get an inexpensive Palm (it will be outdated by your clinical years) and get an inexpensive card. That's the best way to buy technology on a budget.

are you buying the dictionary online or just downloading it for free. i wanted to get one but the stedmans is bank!!! $47 i think.

I plead the 5th. For first & second year though, you've got your backpack, so I'm not opposed to just buying the book and throwing it in there. 3rd & 4th years you need to get rid of all of your excess baggage so the palm version is perfect.

What would I need all the extra memory for during the first two years?
What do you guys mean by "outdated" in a few years? It seems PDAs all do the same thing (except internet and memory). If I buy a Tungsten E and get a huge memory card later, would it be alright for my clinical years?

If I buy Stedman's for my Palm now, I plan on using it for my clinical years as well. It will cost me more if I buy the book now and then the electronic version in a few years.

drboris said:
What would I need all the extra memory for during the first two years?
What do you guys mean by "outdated" in a few years? It seems PDAs all do the same thing (except internet and memory). If I buy a Tungsten E and get a huge memory card later, would it be alright for my clinical years?

If I buy Stedman's for my Palm now, I plan on using it for my clinical years as well. It will cost me more if I buy the book now and then the electronic version in a few years.

I have found that PDA's last about 2 years. They either wear out (my first three), or are outdated (I finally decided to upgrade to a better screen, gave my old machine to my wife and it died two weeks later, internal failure). The E is a pretty good choice.

The "extra" memory lets you add things when and as you find them. You don't want to have to screw around trying to make room when you need something, and memory isn't that expensive - the difference between a cheap PDA (Zire 31) and a good PDA (E) is less than $50. Either way you should get a memory card (another $40 or so).

I strongly suggest that you also get the screen protector sheets, and a larger stylus - they have 3-in-1 pencil/pen/stylus combos, that are MUCH easier to use. The protector sheets will save your screen from getting scratched with a pen when you grab the wrong thing. A case is nice too, I found a nice leather one from Belkin that clips onto my belt, has storage for memory cards (which I don't need, get a BIG card and everything fits on one), and is a good protector for the device

I use both the book (at home) and the PDA version (everywhere else).

They both have their uses.

Are there illustrations in the Palm versions of either Stedman's or Dorland's?
If so, then I think I will further consider the Tungsten E. Otherwise, I will get the Zire 31. I don't see the point in paying an extra $50 for better graphics and 16mb more, when I could get a bigger memory card for that much money?

Also, real quick...how will a pda be obsolete in two years, considering it doesn't mechanically break down??

Thanks a lot