Which Medical School are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akinf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools are you applying to in order of preference?

For me, it is

1. Toronto
1. Queen's
3. Ottawa
4. Alberta
5. Manitoba
6. UBC

NOTE: I didn't make a mistake, Toronto and Queen's are a tie for me right now.

Members don't see this ad.

akinf said:
Which medical schools are you applying to in order of preference?

For me, it is

1. Toronto
1. Queen's
3. Ottawa
4. Alberta
5. Manitoba
6. UBC

NOTE: I didn't make a mistake, Toronto and Queen's are a tie for me right now.

That's funny. I interviewed at all of those schools and had a very similar list pre-interview. But wait until you interview.... I bet that list will change tremendously. Mine certainly did. I had Toronto first on my pre-interview list and Western near the bottom. Post-interview Western is first and Toronto is last. And don't rule out your home school just yet. Manitoba has an outstanding program (especially the clinical years).

But everyone likes different schools for very personal reasons so it's impossible to really rank Canadian schools until you've visited them.

Those are all fantastic places. I'd add Calgary and Western. And my only regret is not applying to Maritime schools. I'd also throw Dal into your list.

Good luck! :)

ssc_396 said:
That's funny. I interviewed at all of those schools and had a very similar list pre-interview. But wait until you interview.... I bet that list will change tremendously. Mine certainly did. I had Toronto first on my pre-interview list and Western near the bottom. Post-interview Western is first and Toronto is last. And don't rule out your home school just yet. Manitoba has an outstanding program (especially the clinical years).

But everyone likes different schools for very personal reasons so it's impossible to really rank Canadian schools until you've visited them.

Those are all fantastic places. I'd add Calgary and Western. And my only regret is not applying to Maritime schools. I'd also throw Dal into your list.

Good luck! :)

I really wanted to apply to Western, but I won't be graduating with a four-year degree this year. I am applying after three years so McGill is also out too. I didn't really consider Calgary and similarily, McMaster, because those are both three-year med. programs. I am not sure if I would enjoy that kind of intensity through medicine. I really do enjoy my times off, even in undergrad. I've never really considered Dalhousie (in fact I don't think I've ever considered Maritime provinces) but I might check out now that you mention it.

What school are you at now and how did you decide?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know where I’m going yet. All the schools in Canada (except those in Quebec and the Maritimes) won’t let you know until May 15th (unless you’ve applied for a MD/PhD). Of the 8 I interviewed at I only know my top 2.

No. 1 is Western because:
1. Systems based pre clinical with a ‘patient centred learning’ aspect which seems perfect for me.
2. HUGE responsibility given to clerks in 3rd/4th year. I’ve heard the only other school in Canada which gives this much responsibility to clerks is UofM. While this responsibility is initially scary I believe it will make you a better doctor overall.
3. Nice campus and London is ‘quaint’.
4. Full scholarships are given to poor folks like me.
5. Close enough to a major airport that I can make my way to my favourite climbing destinations with relative ease.

No. 2 is UBC because:
1. It’s in Vancouver. Need I say more?

If I don’t get one of these, but do get more than one of the other schools I have no idea how to decide. They’re all equally good. The only one I didn’t really like was UofT. I have no real reason for this. It’s a fantastic school. It just gave me the ‘no’ feeling.

Hi. Am a foreign medical graduate from the Philippines. I'll like to practice in Canada. Pls i like to know all information regarding the procedures. What is needed? Do i have to spend more years studying again?

naijabony said:
Hi. Am a foreign medical graduate from the Philippines. I'll like to practice in Canada. Pls i like to know all information regarding the procedures. What is needed? Do i have to spend more years studying again?

ALL information regarding the procedures necessary to return to practice in Canada is a lot of info! There are many similar questions (and answers to them) posted in other threads...check em out.