Which medical schools accept a letter of recommendation from a math professor in place of...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOOSEY_CHICK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools accept letters of recommendation from math professors in place of science professors?

I know that Case Western does.

Source: http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/process/requirements.cfm
Q. How do we define letters from "science advisors/professors"?

A. We will accept letters from professors or advisors in the disciplines of:

• Life Sciences (Biology, Zoology, Human Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Neuroscience, etc.)
  • Physical Sciences (Physics & Chemistry)
  • Mathematics (Calculus, Statistics, Biostatistics)
  • Engineering Sciences (Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.)
  • Exercise Science or Physiology
  • Nursing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure most schools count BCPM classes for "science letters."

Seeing that math is the only pure science, I would hope they would all accept a letter from a math professor

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing that math is the only pure science, I would hope they would all accept a letter from a math professor
Depends on what you mean by science. There's no hypothesis-driven experiments, so it's not a natural science like biology, chemistry, and physics. If you just mean a system of knowledge, then perhaps computer science and political science count? And what do you mean by "pure" anyway? An a priori set of judgments, i.e. something true independent of experience? Because then philosophy would be science too.

Don't mind me, I just like arguing.

Every school I applied to accepted math letters. I actually didn't have any non-math science letters. I figured if math counts toward your sGPA, then it should be considered a science for LOR purposes. Granted, this was 4 years ago, but I doubt much has changed. Of course, it doesn't hurt to check with schools as you are finalizing your school list.