Which numbers do they use for the cutoff?

Started by psychRN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psychRN

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If schools have cutoff numbers, which ones do they use? I know that one is your MCAT, is the other your undergrad or post-bacc grades? Or do they use the average of both?
 
Very few schools will disclose their cut-offs (if they have them), but the ones I've seen use undergrad gpa. Post-bac grades are still part of undergrad gpa.
 
psychRN said:
If schools have cutoff numbers, which ones do they use? I know that one is your MCAT, is the other your undergrad or post-bacc grades? Or do they use the average of both?
From my experience, the cut-off used is 3.0 cum ugrad GPA. All of the schools I've investigated (and replied, like NapeSpikes said,) said this is what they used. Post-bacc can be rolled into ugrad GPA (e.g. upper-level ugrad courses) as well as standing on their own (there's a separate section for this on the AMCAS), which is one of the reasons why it's better to do a post-bacc than a grad program. However, they will primarily look at ugrad grades (regardless of how long ago they were earned) to determine your fitness for med school.