Which of these courses sound like they would be most helpful for the New MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of these courses would be most helpful for the New MCAT?

• Total voters

agun77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exercise and Environmental Physiology with Laboratory: Discussion of how chemical energy is captured within cells and how potential chemical energy is converted to muscular work. Energetics, direct and indirect calorimetry, pathways of carbon flow in exercise, ventilation, circulation, skeletal muscle fiber types. Laboratory component of the course is to obtain practical experience in the measurement of physiological parameters and to be able to compile, compare, contrast, and interpret physiological data. Laboratory demonstrations and exercises will explain lecture content.

I can provide other course descriptions upon request. I suspect that Molecular Immunology will be #1, but I also want to know how relevant my other options would be to the New MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

molecular immunology. anyone from sept. 10 2016 mcat can tell you that immunology ripped us a new one in the biology/biochemistry section (dam you JUNQ)

I don't think any of them would be particularly useful...

Allegedly, the AAMC designs the test so you can take it after only have a single introductory course and quite often people do worse than they expect in the section they majored in because they overthink the questions.

they all seem to have pretty fancy course names though

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Welshman, but the chances of you seeing a passage on immunology are probably higher than that of some of the other topics here. Don't fret about it

Honestly don't think any will make a huge difference. I'd take the one that interests me most. I know people who took a ton of upper level bio courses that did terrible on the MCAT and I know people who had little background coursework going into MCAT studying and did fine; and vice versa. If I had to say one I'd go with the exercise phys. or nutrient metabolism course just because those classes are likely to cover biochemical metabolism (glycolysis, krebs, etc) which was huge on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
You really don't need more than the prereqs for MCAT material. Take whatever interests you, don't choose classes just hoping to get lucky and know an additional answer on one passage of one MCAT section

Any info passage beyond the basics, especially in bio, will be covered in the passage and that's kinda where you want to get it from..

It's like do I remember the difference between CD4 and CD8 immune cells? More or less. Would I trust myself to answer a question from memory on the mcat when I can refer to the passage to ensure I'm right? Depends

The class that teaches you how to read and analyze scientific literature.

Keep in mind that, whilst there may be details you don't learn in your intro courses, the test is designed that way: it forces you to think critically about things you don't know anything about. Additionally, prep books/review materials should have even more information that could be useful - if in doubt, check the content outline.