Which OMFS programs are easiest to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppin_them_8z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
which OMFS programs do you think are easiest to get in?
which ones are very tough to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

poppin_them_8z said:
Hi guys,

I hear that LSU NO is very easy to get into, right UFOMS? ;)

I can't wait to see the results of this one. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
poppin_them_8z said:
Hi guys,

Sorry, but this question is way too vague to get you any great responses. If you want information about specific programs, there are plenty of OMFS residents around here with great knowledge about many programs.

Let's see, 135 unmatched applicants for OMS this past cycle (http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/). I bet those 135 applicants are wondering the same thing - where are the "easiest" residencies out there so they can get in and be oral surgery residents.

So if you get in, i'd think it must be a tough program to get into b/c there are too many people left over after match who don't get in anywhere.

But that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear, maybe someone else has a better answer.

ItsGavinC said:
...there are plenty of OMFS residents around here with great knowledge about many programs.
...and great smart-a$$ answers to your question...

I hear that LSU-SH will be looking for someone to replace OMFSRES pretty soon.

Doggie said:
I hear that LSU NO is very easy to get into, right UFOMS? ;)

Ha ha ha! Real easy! That's the only way I got in brother. Another easy one is Parkland....some how they let Doggie in that one....heh....

toofache32 said:
I hear that LSU-SH will be looking for someone to replace OMFSRES pretty soon.
Care to elaborate on this one for the new people here?

I didn't want to start another thread so I am just going to ask in this thread. Is Parkland in TX? I have heard good things about the program but when I wanted to check it out at http://www.aaoms.org/residencytraining.cfm I couldn't find any program named Parkland. Do they have a website with program info?

Look up University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

After looking at the website, I have another question that someone may or may not be able to answer. I noticed a couple of the surgeons graduating this year and next year don't have an MD, but the website gives the impression that the program is only a 6-yr program. Are all these guys fellows from some other program?

poppin_them_8z said:
Hi guys,

You can sell you soul to Uncle Sam and apply to the military programs. But I am not sure how easy that is.....

adamlc18 said:
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

After looking at the website, I have another question that someone may or may not be able to answer. I noticed a couple of the surgeons graduating this year and next year don't have an MD, but the website gives the impression that the program is only a 6-yr program. Are all these guys fellows from some other program?
In previous years, Parkland used to only rank maybe 6-7 people for its 4 spots. Obviously, there were spots that didn't match for this reason (and probably other reasons as well). You have to pay attention for this part: those empty spots were filled 2 years later by offering 4-year positions (non-MD) to ride out the last 4 years of the "6-year" track. This is possible because the 3rd and 4th years of a "4-year" track are the same as the 5th and 6th years of a "6-year" track. I hope this makes sense. Apparently, they now rank more people so they don't have to jumble it up anymore.