Which one goes by faster EK Chemistry or EK Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that its different for everyone, but I've heard comments on these boards generally saying that the EK Chemistry boook was poorly written (i've heard a few saying the physics was kinda crappy too).

I should be finished with EK Chemistry by tomorrow (i'm 3 days behind planned schedule).

Will EK Physics go by faster?

My biggest problem with the EK Chemistry was how vague it was and consequently had me a lot of the time deducing concepts and rationalizing things out to myself which sucked up a lot more time.

I don't have trouble with *using* equations because for the most part it is plug and chug. Hence, I don't think it would make any difference to be using Princeton Review's Physics Book (becasue they focus on the simplest questions).

Members don't see this ad.

I know that its different for everyone, but I've heard comments on these boards generally saying that the EK Chemistry boook was poorly written (i've heard a few saying the physics was kinda crappy too).

I should be finished with EK Chemistry by tomorrow (i'm 3 days behind planned schedule).

My biggest problem with the EK Chemistry was how vague it was and consequently had me a lot of the time deducing concepts and rationalizing things out to myself which sucked up a lot more time.

I don't have trouble with *using* equations because for the most part it is plug and chug. Hence, I don't think it would make any difference to be using Princeton Review's Physics Book (becasue they focus on the simplest questions).

Good god, EK Chemistry 1001 is taking me forever. I've got electrochemistry left, and then it's done! Don't worry, EK physics is soooo much better. There's even some vaguely interesting passages. I don't know why, but nothing about gen chem is remotely interesting to me. Anyway, yeah the physics 1001 goes by like a zillion times faster.

Also, I tried TPR physics and imo their stuff is too straightforward (single Qs). Their passages seem kind of convoluted/too long too.

Chem went by faster for me because there was less pages (120 compared to the 180 in physics) and physics had way more math equations/concepts to memorize. Orsay (isnt that the author of EK?) doesnt do a good job defining enthalpy and remembering that constant volume gives you no work and constant pressure blah blah blah. EK makes different forms of energies difficult. I would say the physics book is more poorly written because they assume you know more than you should when they dive into complex subjects (like tension and harmonic motion graphs).

Chem went by faster for me because there was less pages (120 compared to the 180 in physics) and physics had way more math equations/concepts to memorize. Orsay (isnt that the author of EK?) doesnt do a good job defining enthalpy and remembering that constant volume gives you no work and constant pressure blah blah blah. EK makes different forms of energies difficult. I would say the physics book is more poorly written because they assume you know more than you should when they dive into complex subjects (like tension and harmonic motion graphs).

Omg yes! In EK Chem Lecture 4 when they introduced all the different energies in regards to thermodynamics i was like uhhh......

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I've seen, have you been going through the EK chem book one lecture per day?? You sure you're really getting the concepts down?

i had a tough time with lecture 3 and 4. I haven't been very efficient in getting the most out of my time the past few days.

Basd on what others have said on this thread and in other threads, the general consensus is htat the 3rd and 4th lectures of chemistry are the crappiest lol. Just glancing at the stuff that they I'll be covering today in lecture 5 and 6 and 7 (that's the plan), I'm pretty comfortable with that stuff hopefully iA.

i'm thinking july 8, 10th or the 18th. August 5th if I absolutely must, but I have to take it soon because i can't afford to be late to apply for medical school.

I'm doing a lot better now on lecture 5 (i did this one in about an hour).

Lecture 6 and 7 will be good too iA.

i don't remember, but you can finish either one in 4-5 days easily. there's only 7-8 chapters in each one. you should be able to do 2 chapters/day...i didn't do the 1001 questions, though. i just did the questions embedded into the lectures.