which one weighs more cum. GPA or BCMP GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrickd223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask this because my cum. GPA is 3.45 and my BCMP is at 3.75 so there a pretty big difference between the two. I have all A's in the pre-reqs, but my dumb freshman yr. brought it down from a 4.0 (B in gen. bio, B in college algebrea, C in calc)

Members don't see this ad.

I ask this because my cum. GPA is 3.45 and my BCMP is at 3.75 so there a pretty big difference between the two. I have all A's in the pre-reqs, but my dumb freshman yr. brought it down from a 4.0 (B in gen. bio, B in college algebrea, C in calc)

I think the cum GPA is more important, and this is somewhat indicated by matriculation stats that show the median GPA is around 3.7, and the median BCMP is about 0.1 below that...doesn't necessarily mean that BCMP is less important, but more of a reflection that this subset GPA is tougher course work, GPA-wise...

Cum GPA is more important, too, because it can get you screened out of getting secondaries and interview invites, and the BCMP will not really bail you out on a low GPA, all things considered...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should be asking yourself is what caused you to get poor grades in many of your non-science classes.

In today's climate of very competitive applicants, some schools are going to be under-impressed by your cumulative GPA (no matter what your BCMP gpa) and some are going to focus more on your BCMP. How this plays out is definitely going to depend on the schools that you apply to.

What this means is that you need to apply to a very broad range of schools and that you need to apply to a sufficient number of schools where you are near their average for matriculants. For some schools, that 3.45 is going to get you screened out;for others, it may not be a huge factor.

Bottom line: Apply to plenty of schools across a wide range and do anything that you can, to raise that uGPA before you apply. In some places, you face an uphill battle (it's a very competitive year) so make sure that every part of your application is as strong as possible (MCAT, ECs/LORs/PS). Good luck!

Is anyone else bothered by the way cumulative is abbreviated? Or have I just been working in urology too long...

Is anyone else bothered by the way cumulative is abbreviated? Or have I just been working in urology too long...

Oh god how I'm glad someone else noticed that. I held off with my inappropriate comments, so thank you.

I had the same question... I have a 4.0 BCPM gpa and I would have a 4.0 cum. if it weren't for this ridiculous required women's studies class. I know it's stupid to complain about getting A's, but to get an A in both Orgo and Bio this semester and then have the 4.0 ruined by women's studies and a teacher who doesn't know who assassinated MLK...ahhh Guess I'll just keep it about 3.8 now.

Oh god how I'm glad someone else noticed that. I held off with my inappropriate comments, so thank you.

haha...me too, I was totally going to make a comment. I guess I'm still a 12 yr old at heart.

The fact is that the Science GPA is actually much more important than the overall GPA because it is counted TWICE in the calculations used in the selection process by adcoms. The Academic Index is the sum of the GPA (which already includes the Science courses) the Science GPA and the total MCATscore/3.

The fact is that the Science GPA is actually much more important than the overall GPA because it is counted TWICE in the calculations used in the selection process by adcoms. The Academic Index is the sum of the GPA (which already includes the Science courses) the Science GPA and the total MCATscore/3.

uh oh. here we go with the Academic Index again.

i tried to get a discussion going to see if there was any correlation between Academic Index and application success, but people weren't biting.

guess they don't believe in the AI, BrainBuff :rolleyes: