Which Orascoptic Loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orascotpic Loupes: Which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am looking at a few types of Orascoptic Loupes. I am between the Eyezoom, Eyezoom Mini, or OmniOptic lens set up. Frame wise, I want to invest in the XV1s or Legend Frames with a Lumalight. Not quite sure what set up to go with but any advice or tips would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd recommend the eyezoom (3-5.0 mag). You aren't gonna be using the lower end mag much (3.0), after talking to a few of my classmates who have them. It's nice to change them up for placing anesthetic (lower mag) to preparing a tooth (higher mag). For endo, you really want as high of a mag as possible, which is why endodontists use stationary microscopes.

I have a pair with a 4.3x mag and I wouldn't go lower.

Go with Legends and Omnioptics. Eyezooms are great, but it's unlikely you will be changing magnifications during a particular procedure. XV1s are cool, but the Legends feel sturdier and more comfortable. The lumadent battery will last longer and it will be lighter on your face.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, @ncide, and @schmoob I will definitely look into both setups. As for the lumadent light, I'll be able to get that with the loupes, right? How does one purchase the lumadent light, straight from the vendor?

Thanks, @ncide, and @schmoob I will definitely look into both setups. As for the lumadent light, I'll be able to get that with the loupes, right? How does one purchase the lumadent light, straight from the vendor?
When you start school, find a bunch of people to get a lumadent light so you can get a discount. It won't be hard to get in contact with the vendor.

I love my Eyezooms, but the omnioptic setup is awesome.

Okay, thanks a lot!! Do you know how much an extra set of lenses cost?

Ditto what schmoob said about the light as well. Lumadent is great! I got two batteries with my kit so I always have a backup, and each light lasts 10 hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, will do the legend frame (ill have to see whether or not I like the eye zoom or the omnioptic) with the lumadent! Thanks, @schmoob, and @ncide I really appreciate the feedback!

I have the XV1's with Eyezoom magnification. I might be biased since the Navy covered most of their high cost (total before Navy paid was $2,400 with student discount if I remember correctly), but I think they were a great investment. We use our loupes throughout our career.

I like not having to deal with a battery pack, and the heavy frame balances well with the heavy loupes. They do feel a bit heavy overall after wearing them for 4 or more hours, so I'll take them off occasionally when grabbing supplies or whatever. I actually do use the 4x and 5x magnifications when I check my retentive grooves and surface smoothness on preps, or for instances of flash on my restorations. I've found you can catch some defects with 5x that you can't easily catch with 3x.

Either way, my classmates score higher than I do on some practicals with much less expensive loupes, and I've failed a few practicals myself. I could definitely practice more though, so I can see a dental student who makes use of high magnification and practices a ton doing really well in pre-clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Omnioptics are a nice investment in my opinion, I have them. You can start off with a certain magnification and just buy 2nd pair of mags later on when you're ready to move up, instead of buying an entirely new set of loupes.

Or you can just go with 5.5 off the back immediately, save yourself the money(as in, not going with eye zoom or omni, just get a normal oralscoptic loupe). More often than not, I hear people say that they wish they went higher sooner than lower. So just skip the drama and go all out.

I have a lumadent light too and im happy. Better battery life than my peers.

I'd recommend the eyezoom (3-5.0 mag). You aren't gonna be using the lower end mag much (3.0), after talking to a few of my classmates who have them. It's nice to change them up for placing anesthetic (lower mag) to preparing a tooth (higher mag). For endo, you really want as high of a mag as possible, which is why endodontists use stationary microscopes.

I have a pair with a 4.3x mag and I wouldn't go lower.

From my friend who has eye zoom, its seems I have a better field of view with omni than he does with the eye zoom, unless there was a misunderstanding. I still see a quadrant with 4.5. Do you?

Last edited:
Go with Legends and Omnioptics. Eyezooms are great, but it's unlikely you will be changing magnifications during a particular procedure. XV1s are cool, but the Legends feel sturdier and more comfortable. The lumadent battery will last longer and it will be lighter on your face.
I read your previous posts on the Eyezoom. Could you tell me the pros and cons of the Eyezoom verses the Omnioptic, especially since the Eyezoom are specifically made with KM optics?

On the subject of the Omnioptics, which magnification would you recommend starting with? I was leaning between the 3.5 or the 4.5 if I decide to purchase the Omnioptics.

You must consider battery life. My wireless ones had a real issue with battery life before replacing them.

Did they raise the price? My school rep is charging almost 4k for eyezoom + XV1...

Did they raise the price? My school rep is charging almost 4k for eyezoom + XV1...
I'm not sure about the price of both, but the Eyezoom itself cost $2600 (a $400 price increase from the previous year I believe).