Which organizations are important/beneficial to join in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting at rosalind franklin soon and definitely want to join some organizations. Are there any interesting or important ones that most med students are a part of? Like AMA, AMSA, or maybe the women's medical assocation (not sure if that's the exact name). Do these clubs actually provide valuable information and opportunites? I was wondering what organizations are you guys mostly members of (doesn't have to be at RFU). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I joined (and paid dues) for several clubs when I got here- we have all the different specialties (I want to do Peds but joined 3 others for experiences next year will just do Peds and EM because our EM club has good workshops)... also did AMSA, AMA, CMDA, Medical Service, and Research... next year- AMSA, CMDA, Research.

Not sure what your values are but I joined AMA thinking it was smart and then found out they don't line up with my political beliefs so I don't really want to be part of it since they lobby things I am opposed to. Keep that in mind when joining national organizations.

If you are thinking of going for a specialty, join the national organization. For example, if you are thinking of anesthesiology, join the ASA. It may help to show the program directors that you have been interested and active in that particular specialty for a while, that it wasn't just a backup or whim.