Which Osteopathic School has the best facilities????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYC Medic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What school(s) has hi-tech anatomy lab, library and other 'facilities' which supplement the medical education!

Members don't see this ad.

I have only visited VCOM (and will be going there) but I can say they are amazing. The anatomy lab is off the hook, the lecture halls and small study rooms are also great.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/campus.html

The library is about the size of my Tahoe- but we have full access to all of Virginia Tech's libraries which are amazing.

Oh and the V-TECH recreational facilities which we also enjoy are absolutely gorgeous. Nicer than the Gold's Gym I go to at home.

I was impressed with KCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen the following:

• LECOM-Bradenton
  • GA-PCOM
  • KCUMB
  • KCOM
  • DMU
Nothing touches DMU in terms of "facilities". Everything is new and well-maintained. They have a lot to offer.

GA-PCOM and LECOM-Bradenton are nice, new-looking buildings with nice facilities, but they are just kind of stand-alone medical schools. No attached clinical facility or big research labs or anything. I actually kind of like this. KCUMB is old, but well-maintained. It is definitely very nice too. KCOM is kind of old too, but they are building a huge new facility that looks to be top-of-the-line.

I've also interviewed at two allopathic schools that cannot touch DMU. Keep in mind that DMU is more than a medical school. They've got other programs too. Everything there is pretty impressive though.

Ive seen TOURO NV, WVSOM and KCUMB.

Outta these 3.
WVSOM: Anatomy lab is amazing. I could stay all day in there.

KCUMB: Clinical competency center: I think out of ALL medical schools, this clinical training facility would be hard to beat.

Touro: Vegas is cool I guess.

What school(s) has hi-tech anatomy lab, library and other 'facilities' which supplement the medical education!

I can't speak for other D.O. schools, but I've interviewed at three allos and KCUMB and of those four, KCUMB by far had the best facilities.

LMU-DCOM is brand new so it has all of the latest technology from the ground up. They have large LG plasma screens in places that definitely do not need them...but they sure look good.

In my opinion, DMU has the nicest facilities of the schools that I have seen. DCOM follows closely as their facilites and building are amazing and they are one of the most technologically advanced medical schools in the nation, DO or MD. I would have to vote for KCUMB after that. The campus there is beautiful and the clinical competency center is pretty cool too. The other schools I have visited are LECOM-Bradenton, KCOM, and OSU (last year for a visit).

The one that accepts me.

I have only visited VCOM (and will be going there) but I can say they are amazing. The anatomy lab is off the hook, the lecture halls and small study rooms are also great.

http://www.vcom.vt.edu/general/campus.html

The library is about the size of my Tahoe- but we have full access to all of Virginia Tech's libraries which are amazing.

Oh and the V-TECH recreational facilities which we also enjoy are absolutely gorgeous. Nicer than the Gold's Gym I go to at home.

I have heard good things about the VCOM facilities especially the anatomy lab. The pictures do look beautiful and the ability to hold 32 bodies is pretty huge. It seems so bright compared to other labs.

The website talks about the over 200 texts and 500 journal resources which at first glance seems pretty big until you start comparing to other med libraries in the area: UVA: 130,000 volumes and 2,500 journal resources and MCV 1.9 million volumes with 16,700 journal resources (these are only from the medical libraries not the other libraries on these campuses). I'm kinda surprised that VCOM included the actual figures.

GA-PCOM and LECOM-Bradenton are nice, new-looking buildings with nice facilities, but they are just kind of stand-alone medical schools. No attached clinical facility or big research labs or anything. I actually kind of like this. KCUMB is old, but well-maintained. t is definitely very nice too. KCOM is kind of old too, but they are building a huge new facility that looks to be top-of-the-line.

While it's nice to have brand new, state of the art building for the first 2 years, those really arent the facilities you should be worried about. Sure it's nice to have a smart boards, video conferencing and a brand new cadaver lab but really all you need is a classroom with a projector and a room that will hold some bodies. The functional difference is negligible at best. Cutting edge technology in a classroom essentially acts as a facade for applicants; a school can seem like they are on the cutting edge without having to actually be there.

Make sure you look into a school's clinical facilities. Those will really determine what you learn in medical school.

Your kidding right? I got a buddy that goes there that says its like a museum, but you use the displays.

Well... the new building sounds like it is going to be top notch.

While it's nice to have brand new, state of the art building for the first 2 years, those really arent the facilities you should be worried about. Sure it's nice to have a smart boards, video conferencing and a brand new cadaver lab but really all you need is a classroom with a projector and a room that will hold some bodies. The functional difference is negligible at best. Cutting edge technology in a classroom essentially acts as a facade for applicants; a school can seem like they are on the cutting edge without having to actually be there.

Make sure you look into a school's clinical facilities. Those will really determine what you learn in medical school.

I totally agree with this statement. When I was interviewing, I made sure to ask myself if I was impressed by material things (buildings, facilities, etc) or the really important, at least to me, things. (curriculum, testing, happiness/friendliness of the students and faculty, environment, early clinical experiences, etc) I think these two lists could theoretically be completely opposite from each other but, alas, I am not easily impressed by appearances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will echo the sentiment that DMU has the best facilities of all the DO schools I've been to (MD for that matter!). TCOM would be second in my opinion although some would say places like the OMM appear dated. TCOM definitely has the most extensive facilities however, meaning that the school has a large university type feel rather than a one building COM like most DO school are. If your into libraries (as a med student you have to be!) no school even touches TCOM's. It is a four level beast with nearly every medical book and journal ever written.

I will echo the sentiment that DMU has the best facilities of all the DO schools I've been to (MD for that matter!). TCOM would be second in my opinion although some would say places like the OMM appear dated. TCOM definitely has the most extensive facilities however, meaning that the school has a large university type feel rather than a one building COM like most DO school are. If your into libraries (as a med student you have to be!) no school even touches TCOM's. It is a four level beast with nearly every medical book and journal ever written.

I wouldn't say a large university. Maybe a small university type feel to it. Plus one of the great things about the library is you can bring food in. Well I think that's important anyway. :p

I have to throw DCOM into the mix in this post. Not only b/c I go there, but it really is amazing with the technology in the school. I'll try to keep this short and sweet as I tend to ramble sometimes. Our lecture halls have everything a normal classroom has, plus wireless internet, outlets for our laptops, cameras for video recording our lectures, as well as for advanced distance education technology for our pharmocology classes (which will be taught by University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Pharmacy, see link). Our anatomy lab has the most technology of any school I interviewed at last year (LECOM-E, CCOM, WVSOM), although it is not the biggest. We have 9 plasma screens where we can show videos to students. Also, we have a camera that we can move from body to body that allows us to broadcast any presentation a prof makes over the TV's. We also have a air detection system that keeps track of the formaldehyde in the room, and it adjusts it accordingly. We also use some pretty sweet anatomy software by Primal Anatomy. Our OMM lab also has plasma's along with various cameras for video recording. We also have a camera placed under the demo table, where the padded top can be removed, revealing a plexiglass top that allows the camera to see hand position when a person is lying on the table. To our knowledge, this is the only camera of its kind in the country. We also have various simulation suites where we will have a couple of SimMen and other simulators ranging from trauma, OB/GYN, anest, to surgery. We will have the capability to simulate a ton of different scenarios, which will prepare us very well for rotations. Also, we have 15 study rooms (with more on the way) that have white boards and a plasma TV in each room, which we can hook our laptops to. This makes studying super easy b/c everyone can see what your group is studying without having to have a group of people around a single person. It also makes individual studying easier b/c you can use the plasmas as a 2nd monitor for your laptop, allowing you to re-watch a lecture on the TV and write notes on your computer. We also have 10 clinical exam rooms we use with our standardized patients that have cameras for video recording. We currently use these rooms for our campus clinic, but we should be getting a seperate facility for that in the near future. Finally, the students are pretty much paperless - everything is done on our computers, with the exception of our tests. We still use scantron for those. Our entire university campus is constantly expanding by adding new programs and buildings. Construction is underway for a new science and research building, and others have been talked about. We also have new programs starting within the next couple of years. Next year LMU will begin a nurse anest program, as well as a PA program in 2009. Another unique aspect of LMU-DCOM is that our Nursing program is in the same building as the med school and the med students will be working with the nursing students in the sim labs, allowing us to fully simulate how things work in the hospital.

OK, I think I am done now. I apologize for such a long post, but there is a lot to talk about. I hope it helps :thumbup: :cool:

I wouldn't say a large university. Maybe a small university type feel to it. Plus one of the great things about the library is you can bring food in. Well I think that's important anyway. :p

Thanks for checking me on that.... small university would sum it up more accurately!!!:)

Thanks for checking me on that.... small university would sum it up more accurately!!!:)

:D No problem. I just didn't want anyone to go there expecting to find a school the size of say, Indiana University. Although eventually, not sure when, the old osteopathic hospital across the street will also be part of campus.

UNT is a decent-sized school, but that is in Denton. Their med school stands alone, in another town.

But TCU is close by, and full of ridiculously hot chicks.

UNT is a decent-sized school, but that is in Denton. Their med school stands alone, in another town.

I've never actually been on the UNT campus but I'm pretty sure it does have more of a university feel than UNTHSC. UNTHSC does have 5 buildings and a 6th sometime in the future. I think some people may be more drawn to that size school rather than a one building school.

I have not seen DMU or TSU but I have seen NYCOM, NOVA, Touro-NY, and UNE and out of those Nova blew them out of the water. Location wise, I'll take the beach!

TCOM is pretty huge compared to any one building school. There are five or so buildings with the great library previously mentioned. The gross lab is pretty cool. Holds at least 35 cadavers...175 student class size at 5 students per cadaver. Each tank also has a mac terminal at it with the full text book and lab atlas on it so that you can leave your text at home and not have to use a vent hood to avoid formalin fumes any time you open it. They've also got a $30+K eye in the sky camera that the instructor can use to show specific pathology from any single cadaver on all of the flat screens they've got in there. If I remember, there was one between every pair of tanks. So, if your cadaver died of dementia, and the guy two tanks down had lung cancer, you'll get to see it on the flat screens even though it isn't your cadaver. They're also supposed to have a state of the art OMM simulation lab that I didn't get to see on my tour. Aside from all this, the students seemed happy, and there are several hospitals nearby (10-15 minute drive) that you can rotate at. And to top it all off, $6500/year tuition if you're instate:cool:

What is TSU?

It sounds like TCOM will start demolishing the old OMCT next month and will break ground on the new Public Health and Education building in the spring (probably April or May) depending on when the demolition is complete. Incoming students (Fall 2008-me!) will have new facilities in their second year while the class of 2013 will have new facilities from the beginning. The purchase of the old OMCT by TCOM doubled their campus size and it looks like they have alot of new facilities and programs planned for the future!

Apparently I don't keep up well because I didn't realize the hospital was being demolished that soon. It's sad and good all at the same time. :(:)

KCUMB is old, but well-maintained. It is definitely very nice too.
For the record, of the 7 main buildings on KCUMB's campus, 5 have been constructed in the last ten years.;)

Another unique aspect of LMU-DCOM is that our Nursing program is in the same building as the med school and the med students will be working with the nursing students in the sim labs, allowing us to fully simulate how things work in the hospital.

I think this is a great thing. It is an aspect of medicine that is often overlooked IMO. Communication and working with other non-physician health professionals are two vital components of being a physician that many docs end up struggling with.

I think this is a great thing. It is an aspect of medicine that is often overlooked IMO. Communication and working with other non-physician health professionals are two vital components of being a physician that many docs end up struggling with.

I forgot to mention that we will also be working with the PA students in the sim lab when that program begins in 2009.

I agree 100% that learning to communicate and work with all aspects of healthcare professionals is essential in being a good doc.

Of the four DO schools I visited (NSU, CCOM, AZCOM, KCUMB), I'd say NSU was the best. AZCOM and CCOM seemed pretty nice, although neither school really showed us much, claiming we weren't allowed in (which is strange, since all the other schools seem to let interviewees in to see the rooms). KCUMB was also pretty nice, but rather small. NSU definitely impressed me the most. Not only did it have the nicest facilities (in terms of how updated they are), but they seemed to also have stuff other schools didn't (such as HARVEY). Also, since NSU is associated with an undergraduate institution, they seemed to have more resources available overall than the independent medical schools. Just my opinion, though.

"which is strange, since all the other schools seem to let interviewees in to see the rooms"

In referring to anatomy labs, I think it depends on state law (to see or not to see cadavers) so it makes sense that some schools allowed you to see the labs.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. I retract my statement.

"which is strange, since all the other schools seem to let interviewees in to see the rooms"

In referring to anatomy labs, I think it depends on state law (to see or not to see cadavers) so it makes sense that some schools allowed you to see the labs.

It was that way at UNECOM- I was told interviewees weren't allowed into the lab because of a Maine law. I was wondering if other schools had the same thing in effect.

I believe VCOM is supposed to have the most state of the art anatomy lab in the country.

CCOM had an anatomy practical, but we saw the OMM room. And our tour guides were kind of rogue in that the walked us through a class in progress LOL.

We also saw the dorms, the library, and something else but my mind is foggy right now.

DMU hands down...:thumbup:

DMU definitely has the best facilities. The simulation labs blew my mind. PLUS, you can watch an individual TV on your elliplical machine!!

VCOM also has a great anatomy lab...but it's in the middle of eastkabumf#@&! :thumbdown:

I've seen NSU, KCUMB, MSU and KCOM.

KCOM is old, but the new building is amazing. The OMM lab is huge and the rest of the building is brand new patient simulation rooms, library and private/group study rooms. I am sure that I will be spending many hours in those rooms. The anatomy room was on the 3rd floor of an older building, but it was full of windows, that were open when I was there. So I guess I like the idea of having fresh air in the lab. Did not go into the micro lab, but was on 2nd floor, so again windows. Did not tour gym, but you get free membership and pictures look nice. Large lecture halls with a power strip at each seat and the student lounge is nice. The main building is actually connected to the only hospital in town!!

KCUMB was amazingly nice. Everything is new and very functional. There is even a whole building of private/group study rooms. The micro anatomy labs were very nice, but in basement so no windows. Small workout room/gym with new equipment. Lecture rooms were very large. All of campus is like a 5 minute walk around so it is nice to get around very quickly.

NSU--the first thought when I think of my first walk into the main building is shiny. The building is newish and there are marble looking floors, lots of windows, glass show cases and shiny metal. I didn't see as much of these facilities, as our interviews ran late and we did not get a full tour. The medical library is small, but the main campus library is huge (and very airconditioned). We seriously spent about 30 minutes in the gym, which is very new and very nice. Best part about this campus.

MSU is also old but in the process of remodeling. The best part of this campus is the student lounge. The insides of most of the buildings on that side of campus remind me of Soviet era Eastern European Construction--lots of cement and everything looks the same. Medical library is small and I have heard that the main campus library is like a bar--more social than study. Also, there are 3 gyms on campus and if you want access to them it is an extra $200 a year for students. The gyms are old and not remodeled and out of the way. IMO, they are not worth the extra fee and still can't believe that students have to pay to use them!!!

I have interviewed at LECOM-Bradenton, TUCOM-NV, and NSUCOM.

LECOM-Bradenton: This school has a very nice feel to it. The area surrounding the school is very clean, open, and beautiful. The place feels clean. It also feels close-knit. The only knock that I would have against it is that there is no medical facility attached to the building. That may be good for some, a problem for others. I feel that it would be nice to see one there, but it isn't necessarily required.

TUCOM-NV: Dirty. I am sorry for anyone who goes there and/or is accepted there, but it feels like a very dirty school to me. I was extremely unimpressed with their "library" and their "computer lab," and the whole building felt more like an office facility turned into a medical school. They are undergoing renovations, so this may change.

NSUCOM: It is a nice facility located on a beautiful campus. The building itself is large and it has that museum-ish feel to it (esp. in the lobby). We were told on our tour that it had several state-of-the-art electronics for students to use, but we were not privy to see them. My knock against this school is that it feels like the founders have decided to jam everyone into a single building to consolidate things. While they are expanding and building a brand-new facility, it currently just feels like a really crowded medical learning building. On the contrary, NSU's extra facilities (library, gym, etc..) are fantastic. If you are looking for new, big, and stuff, NSU is for you, I suppose.

I guess it may seem, in retrospect, that I lean towards LECOM-B, but that's mostly because of PBL.

MSU is also old but in the process of remodeling. The best part of this campus is the student lounge. The insides of most of the buildings on that side of campus remind me of Soviet era Eastern European Construction--lots of cement and everything looks the same. Medical library is small and I have heard that the main campus library is like a bar--more social than study. Also, there are 3 gyms on campus and if you want access to them it is an extra $200 a year for students. The gyms are old and not remodeled and out of the way. IMO, they are not worth the extra fee and still can't believe that students have to pay to use them!!!

Good thing MSU is remodeling their raggedy as* school! At this point it should not even be mentioned on this thread!

NYCOM's anatomy lab is far from high tech, but its all windows on the third floor, so its nice to look at the pond when you don't want to look at your body!!

OMM lab is much nicer, and has flat screens so you can see no matter where you sit.

I only applied to NYCOM though, so I have nothing to compare to.

I've seen NSU, KCUMB, MSU and KCOM.

KCOM is old, but the new building is amazing. The OMM lab is huge and the rest of the building is brand new patient simulation rooms, library and private/group study rooms. I am sure that I will be spending many hours in those rooms. The anatomy room was on the 3rd floor of an older building, but it was full of windows, that were open when I was there. So I guess I like the idea of having fresh air in the lab. Did not go into the micro lab, but was on 2nd floor, so again windows. Did not tour gym, but you get free membership and pictures look nice. Large lecture halls with a power strip at each seat and the student lounge is nice. The main building is actually connected to the only hospital in town!!

MSU is also old but in the process of remodeling. The best part of this campus is the student lounge. The insides of most of the buildings on that side of campus remind me of Soviet era Eastern European Construction--lots of cement and everything looks the same. Medical library is small and I have heard that the main campus library is like a bar--more social than study.

I have been to 3 interviews, MSUCOM, KCOM and WVSOM. Facility wise WVSOM impressed the most. Anatomy lab is amazing and everything there seemed pretty new. KCOM has a mixture of old and new which I completely loved, I agree the OMM lab was just crazy good. I agree with your assessment of KCOM, its definitely my top choice and I can't wait to be spending my time there. MSU is remodeling? where? LOL. I didn't see 1 new thing at MSUCOM when I visited, maybe they just like to hide all the new stuff.

In the end it really doesn't matter how good or bad the facilities are IMO, because all that matters in the end is you do good on your boards and get that medical degree.

EDIT: Get a pass to Golds gym while at MSU, its much less packed then the campus gym facilities. Although the equipment is ancient there, but still good.

DMU definitely has the best facilities. The simulation labs blew my mind. PLUS, you can watch an individual TV on your elliplical machine!!

VCOM also has a great anatomy lab...but it's in the middle of eastkabumf#@&! :thumbdown:

Also, each anatomy lab group has a plasma screen TV situated in front of their cadavers (no joke), all hooked up to the lab manual, netters pictures..and even has video hooked up to the cadaver being worked on by the professor...not to mention their simulation labs, SPALs, Surgical skills lab, the simulated OR...etc. It's really high tech over there at DMU. I also heard that Mercy (Dmu affiliate) has one of those really high tech fancy expensive surgical robots, that students can probably play around with...

Also, each anatomy lab group has a plasma screen TV situated in front of their cadavers (no joke), all hooked up to the lab manual, netters pictures..and even has video hooked up to the cadaver being worked on by the professor...n

Holy crap!!! how do they afford all that?? :smuggrin:

Go Horned Frogs (hence the name)

NYCOM facilities eval:
+ anatomy lab is good
+ omm lab is pretty nice with adjusting tables
+ ICC lab and STAN the robot are good for clinical training
- library is tiny with limited study space
- study room is being closed for renovation (to make it smaller)
- the gym is tiny and closed most of the time (expect to join an outside gym)
- lecture halls are ok, but flood whenever there is a big rain storm

To be honest, most of the facilities are sub-par. What university doesn't have a really nice gym with a pool, etc. ?! C.W. Post is a university campus down the street from NYIT; what a world of a difference - horseback riding outdoors, huge gym facilities with indoor pool, nice library, etc.

MSU is remodeling? where? LOL. I didn't see 1 new thing at MSUCOM when I visited, maybe they just like to hide all the new stuff.

I visited a couple of times in May 2007 and the students giving me the tour, when we hit the OMM room said something about a new room and some areas that are being remodeled. I didn't pay that much attention to the the details of the tour--but seeing as Michigan is broke and MSU is a state funded school....I don't see major remodeling done in our school life time!